Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #901
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Hearing Rollerland was/is getting demolished makes me sad.

Taking skating classes there on Saturday afternoons was a childhood memory I'll never forget. Something about learning how to shoot the duck and hearing Locomotion with the disco ball spinning reminds me of a simpler time.

Oh, and they had an original slush puppie machine there
I distinctly remember the Super Chexx bubble hockey machine they had at Rollerland.

It was Canada versus USA and had the logo of both countries on the side. It replaced the Miracle on Ice version they had after the American goalie stopped working and you could play for free because the coin system broke down.
AndyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #902
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yeah, what the hell is up with that? Every time I have ginger beef now, it's way too mushy and sweet. The crispness was integral!
Ginger Beef is awesome when it's good beef. But it's fairly inconsistent. What I recommend is Ginger Chicken. Same thing but obviously made with chicken.

Ginger Beef Peking House on Macleod rolls out a very tasty/crispy Ginger Chicken. Leo Fu's just down the road has really good Ginger Chicken too. Great Salt&Pepper chicken as well.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #903
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Lloyd's Rollercade (just as old) is still open. Having my kid's birthday party there this week.
I heard a while ago that the landlord that owns a lot of the property in that area either owns Lloyds or gave them a sweet deal so they can remain open as long as they want to- Never went as a kid but my daughters love it there
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #904
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Family Leisure Centre. Is it still the same?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #905
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Family Leisure Centre. Is it still the same?
I guess it depends when you last went there. It's been renovated multiple times over the years, and most recently they added a second hockey rink.

It's also called Trico Centre for Family Wellness now, but it's the same place.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #906
jayswin

Exp:

It looks like this now. If you haven't been since the second rink was added then you probably wouldn't recognize anything left of the entrance, but you can still see the waterslide in the right of the picture for reference.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #907
jayswin

Exp:

They also created one of those new "traffic calming" style parking lots, which you can see in the pic, where they purposely make no close parking (except handicap), so if it's already busy you're typically pretty far away from the entrance.

In the summer it's fine, and ultimately you're going to a fitness facility so whining about walking from parking is silly I admit, except it's a bitch in the winter when it's -20 and you're hauling ass from the far end of the lot, while stumbling over the beautiful (see: useless) green space they built out front.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-24-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #908
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hasn't the parking lot there always been like that? I remember taking my nephew for swimming lessons there in the early 90s and being annoyed that there was no parking anywhere close to the building.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #909
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Hasn't the parking lot there always been like that? I remember taking my nephew for swimming lessons there in the early 90s and being annoyed that there was no parking anywhere close to the building.
I guess so, I seem to remember not having that huge greenspace in the middle. Maybe I'm misremembering because the big new rink wasn't there so there was always sufficient parking on the west side, pretty much directly against where the entrance is.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #910
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not really just a Calgary thing but "Sex with Sue" on Sunday night radio. Can't even remember what station, but was that ever good for a laugh. I think I learned more about sex-Ed then any class I ever took in school.

Last edited by calgarybornnraised; 08-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #911
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
The Bankers Hall theatres were great. They weren't where the gym is - as that was there too. They were on the otherside up on that level. Loved going there.
The Esso Plaza theatres were terrible - screens that size of TVs that many people now have in their homes.

Other old theatres:
- The Grande. Before stadium seating came back, this was the last theatre that had it in Calgary
- The theatres at the base of the tower, where Veritgo is now.
- The theatres where the Calgary Convention Centre is now - saw "Short Circuit" there.
I can remember watching the now banned Disney movie with Uncle Remus, sings of the South? at the Esso theatres. Thought s theatre in office building was the coolest thing.

Spent some time at the Back Alley, too much time. Stinky's, Sharky's, Coconut Joe's, Three Cheers, Warehouse. So many.

It's been 20 years since I've lived in Calgary. I'm sure lots had changed.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:53 AM   #912
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Also miss the Warehouse nightclub. And I remember being in elementry school and really wanting to go to the night club "The Palace" which is now "flames central" and awful.

I went to the Palace a bunch of times, it wasn't anything special, just a pretty nice room. As a club, it was just a club.

I hold no real fondness for it, but I had a good time at the Tazmanian Ballroom on my 18th birthday.

What I really, really miss is twofold: the old, poisonous, railroad-tie school playgrounds (ecole banff trail school specifically) and the ability to play on them without hurting myself.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #913
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The warehouse,The Multi and that dirty punk rock bar on 1st whos name escapes me. Also indoor skate parks like 403, Allskool and the basement skate park inside the source on kensington.Freewheelin skate shop, lazertrek and "the thunder run" and Kuch clothing.

Last edited by Hevishot; 08-25-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Hevishot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #914
cammy13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
The warehouse,The Multi and that dirty punk rock bar on 1st whos name escapes me. Also indoor skate parks like 403, Allskool and the basement skate park inside the source on kensington.Freewheelin skate shop, lazertrek and "the thunder run" and Kuch clothing.
The Night Gallery!!!
cammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cammy13 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #915
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Night Gallery with $2.00 doubles, and pinball before 10.

Also, that brief period when the Taz had $0.25 highballs before 9:00 on Thursdays before the realized the insanity. We once showed up with about 50 of us from rez at 7:45 before they opened. They finally let us in and we promptly filled every table we could get with drinks. So much drunkening.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #916
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Not really just a Calgary thing but "Sex with Sue" on Sunday night radio. Can't even remember what station, but was that ever good for a laugh. I think I learned more about sex-Ed then any class I ever took in school.
That was CJAY-92. 9pm every Sunday night. Funny you mention that, I was thinking about that show while in the shower the other day. I learned many sex terms from that show. I was remember as a kid being quite horrified when I looked up Sue Johansen online to see a picture of her and it wasn't the young 20ish blonde I'd imagined.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #917
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
That was CJAY-92. 9pm every Sunday night. Funny you mention that, I was thinking about that show while in the shower the other day. I learned many sex terms from that show. I was remember as a kid being quite horrified when I looked up Sue Johansen online to see a picture of her and it wasn't the young 20ish blonde I'd imagined.
coincidence........
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #918
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss the sky.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #919
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The nautical theme at the McDonald's in Glenmore Landing.
Green's Lapidary on Centre st. and 16th ave.
Pearce Estate disc golf course.
The Zoo before the new buildings were built and they let the prehistoric park fall into neglect.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #920
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've heard about Esso plaza cinemas but I can't for the life of me imagine how they fit them in. What part of the plaza was it in?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time