Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #1041
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

International warranty yes but you'll have to cough up the money to send your 'in warranty' watch to a service centre and worry about the loss while it is in transit. Although it is a minor component of the overall service you'll get from a brick and mortar some people like building relationships with local businesses.

In instances of nominal savings, I think the side benefits outweigh the cash you'll save up front - especially when you know who you are buying from - but to each their own.

A side benefit that I received was getting access to a hard to find piece like this before the March 1 increase:

NSFW!

Wouldn't have saved a cent if I bought it through other means.

Last edited by Bean; 03-17-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bean For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #1042
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

@ Bean - Really nice Omega. Very sharp looking.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #1043
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch warranty has become practically borderless, since almost all of the serious Swiss watch brands should be shipped to Switzerland for major warranty service anyway. There are authorized warranty dealers for minor work in Vancouver and Toronto, none in Calgary, so shipping would still be involved. Price differential on expensive watches between US and Canada has become so significant that "supporting" local Birks or Calgary Jewelers makes very little sense.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #1044
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Watch warranty has become practically borderless, since almost all of the serious Swiss watch brands should be shipped to Switzerland for major warranty service anyway. There are authorized warranty dealers for minor work in Vancouver and Toronto, none in Calgary, so shipping would still be involved. Price differential on expensive watches between US and Canada has become so significant that "supporting" local Birks or Calgary Jewelers makes very little sense.
For comparisons' sake, I tried on a Rolex Submariner (the sexy green bezel one) for $9050 USD the other day at a local jeweler in Southern Cali.

What would the same watch go for in Calgary? Or other parts of Canada?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #1045
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know, I was never a fan of Rolex designs and don't really check their pricing. But a quick search shows that Jomashop sells it for $100 less than what you've been quoted. Not that it's significant enough in this case and your retailer would likely give you more discount if you are serious, I am guessing.

From my observations, for whatever reason, Swiss watch prices are almost always better in New Jersey. Even when there is some good sale somewhere else, New Jersey watch dealers can beat it.

P.S. Out of curiosity, I've just checked it. The only Calgary dealer selling Rolex is Brinkhaus. Rolex sets the prices for each country. The price quoted was $10,868 CDN including tax, which is approximately $8,800 US using today buy exchange rate, so it would be a slightly better deal than what you're getting, I suppose. However; they don't have this watch in stock and the wait time upon order would be 5-6 months.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 03-17-2015 at 10:09 AM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #1046
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
For comparisons' sake, I tried on a Rolex Submariner (the sexy green bezel one) for $9050 USD the other day at a local jeweler in Southern Cali.

What would the same watch go for in Calgary? Or other parts of Canada?
The black ceramic Sub (with date) retailed at $9,100 CAD before March 1. Even with a 10% increase you're further ahead in Calgary all things considered.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the green bezel Sub retails for a few hundred more than the black one.

What a great watch to have on St. Patrick's Day.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #1047
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know, I was never a fan of Rolex designs and don't really check their pricing. But a quick search shows that Jomashop sells it for $100 less than what you've been quoted. Not that it's significant enough in this case and your retailer would likely give you more discount if you are serious, I am guessing.

From my observations, for whatever reason, Swiss watch prices are almost always better in New Jersey. Even when there is some good sale somewhere else, New Jersey watch dealers can beat it.

P.S. Out of curiosity, I've just checked it. The only Calgary dealer selling Rolex is Brinkhaus. Rolex sets the prices for each country. The price quoted was $10,868 CDN including tax, which is approximately $8,800 US using today buy exchange rate, so it would be a slightly better deal than what you're getting, I suppose. However; they don't have this watch in stock and the wait time upon order would be 5-6 months.
That is interesting. That's the first time I've heard of a better deal in Canada than the USA for a luxury item.

I was shopping at a high end mall in Newport Beach though, and people in that part of the world LOVE to spend more than necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mark-up just for that area. I tell ya that place is more pretentious that Gastown & Yaletown combined.

PS: I don't live in Newport, and I am not pretentious haha. I can't afford to live in Newport.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #1048
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Due to the exchange rates, some time pieces in Canada are getting better prices than in US.

Most places usually carry the watch for awhile, and their price have remained the same. Because the CDN currency is tanking, you will find the prices to be more favourable due to some old stock before the currency depreciated.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #1049
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
P.S. Out of curiosity, I've just checked it. The only Calgary dealer selling Rolex is Brinkhaus.
J. Vair Anderson and the Birks in TD Square also sell Rolex. I personally prefer J. Vair, but Brinkhaus is good too.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #1050
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
The black ceramic Sub (with date) retailed at $9,100 CAD before March 1. Even with a 10% increase you're further ahead in Calgary all things considered.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the green bezel Sub retails for a few hundred more than the black one.

What a great watch to have on St. Patrick's Day.
My black ceramic sub (with date) was purchased at Birks in January 2014 for $8700 plus GST. Whats the current price?
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #1051
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Due to the exchange rates, some time pieces in Canada are getting better prices than in US.

Most places usually carry the watch for awhile, and their price have remained the same. Because the CDN currency is tanking, you will find the prices to be more favourable due to some old stock before the currency depreciated.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Free-falling Canadian dollar has actually been helping the fledgling Canadian luxury watch retailers...
Old 03-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #1052
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Alright, I'm having a "too good to be true moment." I've found the watch I want, a seiko SRP307. From the local watch stores I've talked to you can't get them in Canada very easily. I called down to a seiko store in vegas, and they can get me one ordered in, but it will be close to $600. On Amazon, there are brand new with warranty of this model for less than $200. Is this legit or are they fakes?
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #1053
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I'm looking for some advice; my fiancee wants to get me a nice watch to wear (to go with business/business casual type dress), but I haven't worn a watch for upwards of 25 years. Are there any brands I should look at/avoid (preferably with some smaller profile models)?
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #1054
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Alright, I'm having a "too good to be true moment." I've found the watch I want, a seiko SRP307. From the local watch stores I've talked to you can't get them in Canada very easily. I called down to a seiko store in vegas, and they can get me one ordered in, but it will be close to $600. On Amazon, there are brand new with warranty of this model for less than $200. Is this legit or are they fakes?
No problems with Amazon. I saw an Orange Monster at the Watch It store for 499 and amazon was selling them for 200.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #1055
awildermode
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
So I'm looking for some advice; my fiancee wants to get me a nice watch to wear (to go with business/business casual type dress), but I haven't worn a watch for upwards of 25 years. Are there any brands I should look at/avoid (preferably with some smaller profile models)?
Do you have a price range? If you have not worn a watch for a quarter century, go with something inexpensive in case your body rejects the idea of watch wearing. That way you only have a $400 paper weigh, versus a $4000 paper weight. This is basically your first watch, just ease into it, no need to get something fancy.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #1056
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by awildermode View Post
Do you have a price range? If you have not worn a watch for a quarter century, go with something inexpensive in case your body rejects the idea of watch wearing. That way you only have a $400 paper weigh, versus a $4000 paper weight. This is basically your first watch, just ease into it, no need to get something fancy.
Ya, I wouldn't go more than 400 or 500, because of how odd it might feel for me. Are pocket watches in style?
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #1057
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
No problems with Amazon. I saw an Orange Monster at the Watch It store for 499 and amazon was selling them for 200.
Yup, I picked up two gen 2 SRP monsters on rubber for $129 bucks each on Amazon last year as a deal of the day. They were Amazon Prime as well, so they are guaranteed genuine.

Every now and then Amazon has crazy deals on Seiko auto's and Citizen Eco-Drives.

Also, any time you are in a Winners, check their Jewelry counter. I have landed some Eco-Drives there for 25% of retail. Less than you can get them from any online reseller.

I am probably going to start thinning out some of my collection soon. I have about 10 duplicates, and a bunch of stuff that I just don't wear. I am going to sort through it all in the next couple weeks, and will have a buy and sell thread. All of it is 9.5 or 10/10. Some of it worn once. A few pieces I haven't even touched.

Stay tuned.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #1058
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a watch per se, but a shot from a couple years ago that I thought some here might appreciate.

You're not really rich till even your tachometer is made by JLC.

Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 AM   #1059
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
Ya, I wouldn't go more than 400 or 500, because of how odd it might feel for me. Are pocket watches in style?
How big is your wrist, and would you want something with some heft or something lighter?

If I were you, given the attire you want to wear the watch with (business/business casual), I'd go with something on a black hide strap. I'd go smaller in the face (34-36mm) and I'd pick something vintage. Not something brand new, and not something quartz.

I'd buy this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MENS-OMEGA-SE...-/301569014993

Is it more than your stated range? Yeah, it is, a hair over a thousand bucks. But look at it. That is a watch that oozes class and taste, without being all "and I also own a fleet of yachts" about it. It will be nice and light being stainless steel on a leather band, and if you decide you don't want it, there's always a market for well-maintained vintage pieces like that. In fact, I had another one in mind that I was going to post here except someone snapped it up already.

If I wasn't already in the midst of reducing my collection (too many that don't get enough wrist time as it is), I'd have bought it for myself by now.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 03-23-2015 at 12:19 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #1060
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone have a recommendation for a place to re-size watches downtown?
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote