Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #41
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledFlamesFan View Post
Pathetic.

I wonder how often non existent cabs directly lead to drunk driving. This is becoming a safety issue.
Never.

"I couldn't find a cab" is merely an excuse a drunk would use in place of calling a friend, taking transit or even waiting for the damned cab. The only people ever at fault for drunk driving are the drunks themselves.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #42
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Transit doesn't run at closing time when cabs are in short supply and everyone is leaving bars.

It is imperative that there are enough cabs available and catching a cab is always the first option. After waiting more than 45 mins for a cab I'm sure many people have said screw it and driven home drunk. Me and my friends always have a DD simply because we can not count on the taxi cartel in Calgary.

What's MADD's position of the cab shortage in this city?
ExiledFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #43
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledFlamesFan View Post
After waiting more than 45 mins for a cab I'm sure many people have said screw it and driven home drunk.
That is still completely and entirely on the drunk.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #44
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That is still completely and entirely on the drunk.
You don't want to make it difficult for intoxicated people to get home safely.
ExiledFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #45
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Another case of Uber failing to perform a background check results in Uber (and all online taxi services) being kicked out of New Delhi following a rape: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...e-allegations/

Uber launches its unlicensed taxi service in Portland, despite the risk of significant fines to drivers: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...es-to-drivers/

Of note from the City Commissioner:
Quote:
Novick told the New York Times that if Portland were to allow any ridesharing company to operate in the city, Lyft would be higher on the list.

“Lyft seems like a respectable company, and Uber seems like a bunch of thugs,” he told the Times.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #46
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Uber is WAY more convenient than a taxi. Any conversation about Uber should begin there.

Uber valuation is based on their latest round of financing. Think Dragon's Den -- they have an idea that can make a lot of money. How much that is worth is anybody's best guess.

Uber has huge growth potential in SA, Europe, and Asia. They're also trying to get into the logistics market: delivering packages ala Fedex or even groceries.

'Digging up dirt on journalist': This was mentioned jokingly during an Uber function, where a news reporter overheard and reported it. Internet explodes. They are working on their PR, hiring a former Obama spokesperson. I've seen reports say that Uber background checks are as adequate as taxi background checks. They're both lacking. Uber at least has nicer vehicles and is way more convenient. The bigger thing to worry about now is privacy of information.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #47
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was travelling to Salt Lake City for business and signed up for Uber while I was down here.

Experience was exceptional. A few highlights:

-all clean cars
-the driver was not on the phone the entire time
-offered snacks/water/drinks
-no issue of 1) our visa card machine is broken 2) I have no change
-I can track where the driver is via GPS
-Cheaper than a taxi cab by a substantial amount (my ride to the airport cost $7, a cab was $25)

I can see why taxi companies are scared, this is a completely disruptive business model that is vastly superior to traditional cab companies.

I for one sure hope Uber makes its way to Calgary soon.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #48
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have listened to a few Edmonton talk radio shows within the past week about issues with the launch there. Some things I remember...

The city council there is applying to put forth an injunction against Uber until they comply with bylaws, and I think has put off talks (or a decision) to allow Uber to operate until August (I think).

Uber still operates, but if a driver is caught, they face a $1000 fine. Apparently Uber will reimburse you if fined.

Also to note...If you don't have a commercial vehicle insurance, and get in an accident while driving an Uber fare, you will not be covered. Uber has said that drivers are covered under their blanket $5 Million insurance, but I'm not sure what ramifications you would have from your own insurance company.

The cabbies there are citing "safety" as their main concern for allowing Uber to operate, but we all know that's a cover for fear of losing lots of business. They even had 100+ vehicles drive to City Hall in protest.

Even though it was CHED, it was actually an interesting piece to listen to.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #49
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I laughed when i read their protest in Edmonton was over "safety"

More like my job is actually facing realistic competition now.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #50
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Uber has said that drivers are covered under their blanket $5 Million insurance,
If this is true, then Uber's Insurance Broker should have not problem issuing all it's driver Pink Cards under Uber's name. Is this happening? If not, then there is no coverage, plain and simple. If so - then the insurance issue is solved.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #51
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

In San Francisco, there is an option to request UberPool which is an option that matches you with another rider near you going to a similar destination, and they cut your regular fare up to 50%.

It's been here for a couple months and about 1/3 of the time I've been getting matches. (20% discount if not matched, up to 50% if matched).

They're doing a limited time promotion where any rides requested through UberPool is $5 wherever you go within the city, regardless of surge pricing.

Get picked up and dropped off anywhere in the city for just $5, almost as cheap as public transportation.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #52
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

This is hilarious, in the normal course of a free market there should be no question or impediments to Uber entering a market. No lame "bylaw" restrictions or concerns over "safety". Have there been a huge number of safety issues with Uber or something? Sounds like bs to me.

It's so painfully obvious that lobbying, government greasing and the profitable protection of a few is withholding a better product from entering a market and making things better for the many. This is exactly why I hate lobbying and why it should be illegal to lobby. No different than bribery.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #53
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Are they in Calgary now. In current market, I should probably register myself as driver.

Last edited by gladaki; 01-22-2015 at 08:55 PM.
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #54
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
This is hilarious, in the normal course of a free market there should be no question or impediments to Uber entering a market. No lame "bylaw" restrictions or concerns over "safety". Have there been a huge number of safety issues with Uber or something? Sounds like bs to me.

It's so painfully obvious that lobbying, government greasing and the profitable protection of a few is withholding a better product from entering a market and making things better for the many. This is exactly why I hate lobbying and why it should be illegal to lobby. No different than bribery.
In this case it goes further. In Calgary, they have created a restricted, regulated system to the point that, being able to own a taxi license is a privlege that on the open market costs over $100K. The way I see it, they don't want to reduce the value of those licenses to zero and make the purchasers suckers of the city's own ill-conceived system.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #55
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

You know what though? Every business has risk, even if it is political. So TFB taxi lobbyists.

Do they think that oil companies wanted the Alberta government to go change the royalty regime a couple years ago? Do the banks bribe the BoC so that they don't go changing the rate?

Owning a business involves risk and reward. It's not right that this select group can bribe their way into rigging the rules so that their business environment is unfairly protected from the free market. What taxis should be doing instead of running around lining government pockets is devising a way to compete and survive, or yeah, they'll end up like Blockbuster in a failed business model that refused to compete.

This isn't going to end well for cabs.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #56
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, the cat is out of the bag on this one now, it's just a matter of time until the last municipalities capitulate.

They either need to start learning to adapt or go the way of the dodo, and personally I could give a rats ass about the money they've spent on artificially inflated taxi licenses.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #57
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

You ask cab drivers themselves here in TO and manye of them are in support of Uber, as their companies take so much of their money every week. I think an Uber driver could make more than a cab driver, but don't quote me on that.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #58
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can Uber not lobby the AB Gov't to do away with these restrictions? It feels like the city is dragging their feet on something that is a no-brainer... I'd expect the AB gov't could easily pass a motion to fix this.

Seems like something Uber should be focusing on, instead of fighting each city's bought-and-paid-for taxi commission, why not go up a level and apply pressure (public and lobbyist) at the provincial level?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #59
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Can Uber not lobby the AB Gov't to do away with these restrictions? It feels like the city is dragging their feet on something that is a no-brainer... I'd expect the AB gov't could easily pass a motion to fix this.

Seems like something Uber should be focusing on, instead of fighting each city's bought-and-paid-for taxi commission, why not go up a level and apply pressure (public and lobbyist) at the provincial level?
Province doesn't regulate the taxi industry, leaves it up to the municipalities to decide. In communities without taxi regulations, you don't have to have a vehicle inspection to operate the vehicle.

Chestermere and Cochrane do not have Taxi bylaws. Airdrie and Calgary do
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #60
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone ever met someone who is willing to start driving for UBER if it arrives?

(I think we could leave out the existing cabbies and limo drivers because the point of uber is to increase the number of vehicles available)

UBERX in Toronto region is something like $3.75 plus 0.90 / km and 0.30/ minute. As I understand it, drivers pay $1/fare plus 20% commission to Uber.

Can drivers make a living off that revenue when tipping is not permitted by Uber?

Uber won't solve our taxi problems if few are willing to drive for them.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote