Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #1961
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Between the that traffic circle and the bizarre Dartmouth Rd circle (train tracks down the middle!) I am going to plow into someone one of these days. I learned to drive traffic circles in Italy, take the inside lane at full clip and the right lane has to yield to you. Never show weakness. Apparently Calgary traffic engineers aren't down with that.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #1962
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
You are obviously not familiar with this particular cluster fata. If they had set it up like a normal traffic circle there would be no problems.
Craziness.
My friend lived in McKenzie Towne for the past 15 years. I am very familiar with this circle and, yeah, it could be busy at times. But it's nowhere near craziness.

This is craziness:

CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #1963
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Who is responsible for the traffic circle in McKenzie Towne?

It is an accident waiting to happen. All entrances have two lanes and all exits have two lanes, NOT SO FAST, the exit onto Prestwick Blvd. has a new line directing into a single lane, even though there are two lanes on Prestwick Blvd. It is ridiculous.

Is there a reason it is like this?
I've been working hard to remove those stupid 2 to 1 lines by going wide from the center lane. That traffic circle worked fine for 10 years before they started dumbing it down for incompetent drivers. Also, all this money spent on signage and painting when the thing has needed a quick repave for 2 or 3 years now. Its washboard in the center circle and its jarring on a motorcycle.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #1964
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Well now we know why things are so messed up...people have taken it into their own hands to drive it "the way I feel it should be" rather than the way it's been set up by the City because they think they know better than them. Cool!

The modern roundabout layout is designed to assist traffic flow because the original layout is counter intuitive to many. Just because you learned it some way in Europe does not mean it applies here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
That traffic circle worked fine for 10 years
If this was true, they wouldn't have responded to all the complaints and changed it.

Last edited by Mazrim; 10-08-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #1965
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I've been working hard to remove those stupid 2 to 1 lines by going wide from the center lane. That traffic circle worked fine for 10 years before they started dumbing it down for incompetent drivers. Also, all this money spent on signage and painting when the thing has needed a quick repave for 2 or 3 years now. Its washboard in the center circle and its jarring on a motorcycle.
That'll be fixed in no time.

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #1966
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

According to the Alberta driver handbook, right should yield to left as well. But Calgary has to be different I guess.
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...nbookmay08.pdf (Page 72)
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #1967
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Well now we know why things are so messed up...people have taken it into their own hands to drive it "the way I feel it should be" rather than the way it's been set up by the City because they think they know better than them. Cool!

The modern roundabout layout is designed to assist traffic flow because the original layout is counter intuitive to many. Just because you learned it some way in Europe does not mean it applies here.

If this was true, they wouldn't have responded to all the complaints and changed it.
Its setup completely nonsensically now. The narrowed exits make no sense whatsoever, and for people making a right from an adjacent entrance have to watch for people who shouldn't end up in their lane. The driving handbook outlines how people are supposed to use traffic circles. Sadly we've got a bunch of trial and error traffic engineers trying to reinvent the wheel. Their first attempt at fixing this was quickly scrubbed out. Now we've got rev 2 and its destined for the dustbin.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #1968
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Have you tried the roundabout at McCall Way and Barlow Trail? I'm curious if that one is "wrong" by your standards as well.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #1969
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have you tried the roundabout at McCall Way and Barlow Trail? I'm curious if that one is "wrong" by your standards as well.
No I haven't. That's irrelevant to the arguments about the one in McKenzie Towne that worked fine for over a decade.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #1970
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So according to the news, there is a proposed redesign to 16th Ave at both Barlow and 19th.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...vote-1.2824917

Anyone have any more information on this? Sounds like they might be putting MORE lights on Barlow, which seems like a stupid idea, but I can't find anything on all of the changes.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #1971
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's 16th at Barlow:

16th at Deerfoot:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #1972
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

16 Avenue and 19 Street N.E. Interchange Functional Planning Study
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #1973
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Bunk, couple questions. First is there a budget document that kind of highlights things proposed, but isn't the 4" binder? I would be interested in seeing where the budgetary increases are (at least proposed).

Second, say there was an intersection at Edmonton Trail and Memorial Drive and you wanted the pedestrian crossing shutdown on the East side shutdown. How would you go about that? This is the place where there is one lane to turn left, and it makes little sense to have pedestrians cross there when the West side is just as useful.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #1974
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
Anyone have any more information on this? Sounds like they might be putting MORE lights on Barlow, which seems like a stupid idea, but I can't find anything on all of the changes.
The weave lengths at the cloverleaf interchange for Barlow and 16th Avenue are way too short, so adding lights instead of those loops is fine by me.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #1975
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They are fine, if you know how to actually accelerate. I just remember all the fun 25 minute drives at rush hour between centre street and 16th going North a few years ago, and can't see how this would improve it.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerplunk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #1976
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
The weave lengths at the cloverleaf interchange for Barlow and 16th Avenue are way too short, so adding lights instead of those loops is fine by me.
I've driven in the area for nearly 20 years, and never never really seen those cloverleaf ramps be a problem.

That's the one Cloverleaf interchange that I wish was kept, since it's never really been a problem.

The reason why it's never been a problem is because it's absolutely huge. The interchange takes up nearly a quarter section of land.

It not being changed now becasue it's the problem, the problem is with the 19th Ave interchange, they need a longer weave zone in between.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #1977
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
They are fine, if you know how to actually accelerate.
That's asking a lot of the drivers who can't hit 60 km/h on the on-ramp from 16th Avenue to Northbound Deerfoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
It not being changed now becasue it's the problem, the problem is with the 19th Ave interchange, they need a longer weave zone in between.
Surely you agree that the yields at the end of the side ramps were awful as well, though. While my experience with the interchange is not nearly as regular as yours could be, my experience with short weave sections in general has turned me off full Cloverleaf designs for more than just land use reasons.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #1978
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Long term plan:

I'm not sure what to think about the Barlow & 16th interchange. I've driven there a lot and I've never noticed it congested during peak times. Barlow is typically congested from 16th to Memorial because of all the lights.

The changes to 16th and 19th, and 16th and Deerfoot will be really good I think.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #1979
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nenshi should step in a put an end to this madness before this snowballs too far haha...

Totally ridiculous!!

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/120...m-carry-flags/

edit: Looks like transportation already shot this down, thank god haha.

"
YYC Transportationan hour ago Just a point of clarification - the crosswalk flags are not an active initiative being considered by The City at this time. They were discussed in a committee meeting yesterday in acknowledgement to a comment by a Councillor.
The flag concept is one of several potential tactics that could eventually be used by communities or schools to help improve safety – but we see this as a community-led
and community-owned initiative, rather than something that would be implemented
city-wide.
We often work with Community Associations and schools to provide educational materials and shared resources to help improve safety at crosswalks. The flags could eventually be presented as a possible tool for individual communities – but that is very much dependent on the findings from other municipalities already trialing this initiative"

Last edited by rohara66; 11-06-2014 at 11:47 AM.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #1980
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm going to echo Jones (I think it was him) that said "why are we putting lights in at Barlow and 16th?" It's functioning just fine with the current design.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I don't understand the thinking here. Oh wait...silly hall.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple