Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #501
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Ya, but Narcisse and he talked about a partnership. Did Narcisse go back on his word, or am I missing something?
The partnership was just a ruse for the girl's benefit. Chalky and Narcisse both knew full well that the only thing that Chalky he had to trade for getting her career back was his own life. They spoke in innuendo to spare her from having that weight on her conscience, but probably more importantly so she wouldn't try to talk Chalky out of it. Chalky's line at the end was just to remind Narcisse to honour his end of the agreement.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #502
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

"There's one pet I like to pet, and in the evening we get wet. I stroke it every chance I get, it's my girls #####!!!" = Greatest song lyrics ever?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #503
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
"There's one pet I like to pet, and in the evening we get wet. I stroke it every chance I get, it's my girls #####!!!" = Greatest song lyrics ever?
and it's a real song

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #504
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brief preview of the Series Finale
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #505
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like the way they're coming full circle and wrapping up this series. The rise and fall of Nucky's Boardwalk Empire.

I'm going to miss this show.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #506
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how they tied the killing of Maranzano into the fictional story with Nucky's brother.

This puts the story in early September 1931. Capone is arrested in October so he's done. The real life Nucky ends up controlling Atlantic City for a few more years but his power is eroded. I have no idea what they'll do in the show as that's pretty boring.

The possibility for a spin off is amazing. The Commission abolishing the Don of all Dons and the Joseph Bonnano taking over Maranzano's family. The Bonnano family is the family from the story of Donny Brasco. They are also closely aligned with the 6th family in Montreal. Battles between the crime bosses and Mayor Laguardia, Bugsy Siegel in Hollywood and Vegas, Cuba, the end of prohibition... So much material.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #507
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would totally watch a Luciano/Lansky/Siegel TV show. Unfortunately they've already bypassed the most interesting part. Luciano is permanently off the American streets 5 years after this show ends so there's not much to do a spin off of. Unless they do the 7 year stretch that Boardwalk jumped over.

I highly doubt they do one though.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #508
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think this is the BEST season yet.

- I hated the Narcisse / Chalky Storyline. Too fictional with little or no relevance to history. Seems like it was 'forced'.

- Like the Flashbacks to Nucky as a child and teenager. The actor playing the young adult version of Nucky is spot on in his portrayal of Buscemi

- Capone is a totally Bad**s this year and the actor playing him is worthy of an emmy

- Bugsy Siegel's character is hilarious

- Sad the series is ending next Sunday.
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #509
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't love the finale but loved the final minutes.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:44 PM   #510
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. A slow episode overall, but a good way to wrap it up.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #511
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The most persistent Internet rumor all season, that most folks (myself included) dismissed as being just too damn obvious... turns out to be the easy "twist" ending they went with anyway.

Somewhere, Richard Harrow is figuratively rolling over in his grave.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #512
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't get it - how could Tommy have such a hatred at a young age for Nucky that it would make him infiltrate his organization and then ultimately murder him?

Great series - glad it ended with Nucky dying but Tommy as the tool to do it was a cop out. It would have made more sense for Gillian to have break in the asylum and kill Nucky with a shiv or something.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #513
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised they killed him off as the real Nucky Johnson spent some time in prison and died from old age. I suppose killing the main character off is the ultimate closure moment though, there's no coming back from that.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #514
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I don't get it - how could Tommy have such a hatred at a young age for Nucky that it would make him infiltrate his organization and then ultimately murder him?
He killed his dad?
Old 10-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #515
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

After thinking about the Finale, I have to say it was pretty "meh"

The best part of this season was seeing Luciano and Capone, rise and fall, respectivly. My biggest gripe with the show is that the slow burn of so many episodes never really paid off. Rather, we got a tons of slow Character building, that kind of ended with a whimper.

Finally, the twist of having Tommy kill Nucky felt unearned. Everything that was done by Harrow to get Tommy away from his mother and raise him right, undone. Hardly a mention of the famiy that raised him, but rather a "I have no family"

Loved the show, but ultimately the real life figures were always more facinating and what made me keep watching.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #516
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post

Great series - glad it ended with Nucky dying but Tommy as the tool to do it was a cop out. It would have made more sense for Gillian to have break in the asylum and kill Nucky with a shiv or something.
good interview with Terrence Winter here http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-series-finale

he explains it

Do you recall exactly how you guys came to the decision in season 4 that this was how it would end?

Terence Winter: I don't precisely, but the clearer that the Gillian story became, and that Harrow's ending became, in terms of the legacy of sending Jimmy's son off to live with Julia on the farm, and Gillian's own tragic story — we knew it had to come back to that relationship. Tommy Darmody, growing up hearing stories about this guy Nucky and his father, and not really sure whether this guy Nucky was a good guy or a bad guy, and needing to see for himself seemed to us the most powerful version of it.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #517
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

It wasn't terrible... But it wasn't great either.

At least it was more believable than the dexter finale haha
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #518
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
good interview with Terrence Winter here http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-series-finale

he explains it

Do you recall exactly how you guys came to the decision in season 4 that this was how it would end?

Terence Winter: I don't precisely, but the clearer that the Gillian story became, and that Harrow's ending became, in terms of the legacy of sending Jimmy's son off to live with Julia on the farm, and Gillian's own tragic story — we knew it had to come back to that relationship. Tommy Darmody, growing up hearing stories about this guy Nucky and his father, and not really sure whether this guy Nucky was a good guy or a bad guy, and needing to see for himself seemed to us the most powerful version of it.
I get the supposed rationale, but to me it seems entirely implausible given the story they put on screen. Tommy was barely old enough to understand these things on the level that would poison him enough to track down and murder Nucky. He was out of Gillian's grasp fairly early, and she made the constant attempt to shelter him as much as possible from that world anyway.

Unless Julia continuously badmouthed a person and world she had no real indicative clue about then really this ending makes no sense. With what we saw on screen over the course of 5 seasons I'm just not buying that Tommy Darmody was broken and corrupted enough to murder Enoch Thompson.

I was also pretty disappointed that they deviated from the fictionalized version of the character. I think it would have been much more poignant to dramatize fact rather than cliche fiction. Granted, I didn't expect Nucky to be murdered...mostly because his real-life counterpart wasn't. I get that it wasn't meant to be the exact same character/person, but it followed history closely enough that to make that kind of deviation was jarring...and not in a good way.

Not a fan of the finale, no matter how hard I tried to be. They did a lot of really great things in that final season. The time shifts, the rounding out of backstories, the resolution of certain characters (in some cases this actually tied to history and furthered the story in creative ways), etc. The final few minutes were, cinematically, very well done, but the context of what was actually happening kind of took away from the emotion and meaning of it.

An A+ show with a B- ending.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #519
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of that last scene, it seemed like the finale wasn't trying to do anything big. It was just trying to give closure to as many storylines as it could, and for that, I'm grateful - we aren't left with a lot of loose ends or unanswered questions.

Boardwalk Empire is done. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and regret that we won't have another season to look forward to, but I'm not sitting here thinking, "Damn, I can't believe we didn't find out how X turned out." It was a show telling the story of Nucky Thompson, and I feel that, narratively and thematically, it came to a satisfying conclusion, tying his ultimate end to his very beginning.

Last edited by Mike F; 10-27-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #520
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ending requires some pretty spectacular leaps in logic to get to the point where Tommy actually kills Nucky. It was very poorly set up, particularly since you could pretty much figure out right away that they didn't just throw in some random kid into the storyline, but they did nothing to actually explore the kid or give any background into how he got there. Literally he could have shown up in the finale and done it and it would have been the same. Poorly done IMO.

I'd also say it's really hard to give this show anything higher than a B+. Far too much wasted potential, show never seemed to have a clear vision outside season 1 and got a little too loose in the storytelling after Jimmy was killed. Lots of great characters, not enough great stories.

Tags
al capone , martin scorsese , nucky thompson , steve buscemi , terence winter