Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #1141
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really World Cup news:

Klose retires from Germany.

Quote:
Germany's all-time leading goal-scorer Miroslav Klose has told Bild his decision to retire from international football is final.

Germany coach Joachim Low praised Klose as "one of the greatest attackers to ever play the game," but -- although he was the only orthodox striker in his country's 23-man World Cup squad -- the player said he would not consider making a return under any circumstances.

"No chance, that's not me," he said. "When I make a decision, it is final, and the Bundestrainer [Low] also knows that."
http://www.espnfc.com/european-champ...germany-return

And Ribery retires from France.

Quote:
Franck Ribery has retired from international duty, the 31-year-old Frenchman told kicker.

"There were ups and downs, but now the time has come for a new chapter in my life," Ribery said.

Ribery is the second France player to announce his international retirement this week after Samir Nasri said he saw little future for himself with the national team.
http://www.espnfc.com/france/story/1...ty-with-france

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #1142
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I'm really surprised Ribery is retiring with France 2016 just around the corner.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #1143
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I'm really surprised Ribery is retiring with France 2016 just around the corner.
Too many injuries.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #1144
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

More info from Ribery.

Quote:
Franck Ribery has told kicker that his negative image in France played a role in his decision to retire from international duty.

his reputation was badly stained by France's disastrous 2010 World Cup campaign after which he -- as vice-captain -- was given a three-game international ban by the French Football Federation (FFF) for his part in the squad's infamous strike.

"His injury just before the World Cup must have caused him to cool towards the national team," Boghossian said. "We knew it was his last World Cup, but I'm convinced he could have given something at Euro 2016. It's a little premature. You have time to be devoted to your family after your career. Perhaps, one day, he'll reconsider his decision."
http://www.espnfc.com/france/story/1...nal-retirement

Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #1145
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also:

Quote:
Former Belgium international Daniel van Buyten has retired from football.

Van Buyten, 36, left Bayern Munich at the end of last season after an eight-year spell at the club in which he won the Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal four times apiece as well as the 2013 Champions League.

Napoli, Hamburg and Marseille were all reported to be interested in signing him this summer, and he had most recently been expected to join Anderlecht, but he has now decided to hang up his boots, although he has yet to officially confirm the news.
http://www.espnfc.com/european-champ...buyten-retires

I always like van Buyten, he wasnt the greatest CB, but he always found a way to contribute.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #1146
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one is relevant to the World Cup...kind of.

Quote:
A Colombian lawyer has filed an enormous lawsuit against FIFA after claiming that the lapse standard of refereeing at the 2014 World Cup hospitalised him with heart problems.

Aurelio Jimenez, 74, is suing world football's governing body for a billion euros (about 800 million pounds or 1.33 billion dollars) with his case centred around the controversial performance of Spanish referee Carlos Velasco Carballo while overseeing Colombia's quarterfinal tie against Brazil.

Indeed, Jimenez reckons that the official's performance was so egregious that it left him hospitalised with ... a broken heart.

"I felt very bad, I was heartbroken, my cardiac rhythm was altered and my relatives took me to the emergency room at the hospital,"

To bolster his case, Jimenez has also collected a raft of evidence to prove that the refereeing out in Brazil was substandard and therefore a potential health risk to the millions of fans who tuned in to watch the tournament around the world.

However, as if to prove that he's not merely lodging a frivolous lawsuit against FIFA in the hope of an easy payout, Jimenez has also announced that if he wins the case, any damages he receives will be donated to a Colombian children's charity.

Best of luck with it all, Aurelio. You'll probably need it.
http://www.espnfc.com/blog/the-toe-p...or-officiating

Whooo.....good luck pal.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #1147
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Anyone watching north korea vs usa? It's pouring in Toronto.

Canada plays zee Germans in Edmonton at 6pm.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #1148
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This one is relevant to the World Cup...kind of.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/the-toe-p...or-officiating

Whooo.....good luck pal.
That ref was ####ty though.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #1149
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Looking like a penalty shootout.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #1150
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

North Korea wins.

Now time for O Canada!

Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #1151
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
That ref was ####ty though.
A billion dollars ####ty though? A billion?

Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #1152
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Anyone going to watch the womens u20 final?

Nigeria vs Germany should be a great one!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #1153
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Germany is truly king of soccer. Their u20 girls won their championship today completing Germany's summer hat-trick!
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #1154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did any of you know that FIFA had an Ethics Committee? Where have they been this whole time?

And obviously FIFA really dislikes England. I wonder what they did to deserve that?

Quote:
Watches worth more than 16,000 pounds each were handed out to a representative from all 32 countries at the World Cup, according to FIFA's ethics investigators.

A Parmigiani watch was also distributed in a gift bag from the Brazilian federation (CBF) in June to the 28 FIFA executive committee members though it is unknown what happened to the gift bag for the English FA.

FIFA's ethics committee said accepting such valuable gifts contravenes its rules and has demanded that all the watches be returned by Oct. 24 otherwise it will launch disciplinary proceedings.
http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup...hics-committee

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #1155
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Did any of you know that FIFA had an Ethics Committee? Where have they been this whole time?

And obviously FIFA really dislikes England. I wonder what they did to deserve that?

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup...hics-committee
Green text?

The English are the most vocal against FIFA's corruption. How convenient the package was lost.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #1156
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya after England didn't get 2018 they went rogue, it's also why Platini started being so nice to them then

FIFA hates them
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #1157
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Green text?

The English are the most vocal against FIFA's corruption. How convenient the package was lost.
Sorry, yes, that whole post was tongue in cheek. I'm aware that FIFA has an Ethics department but they are probably just as woefully corrupt and yes I know exactly why FIFA hates England.

Also this:

Quote:
UEFA president Michel Platini has criticised FIFA for publicly rebuking football executives who accepted luxury gifts at the World Cup, saying he will donate around $27,000 to charity rather than return a watch.

Platini, who is also a FIFA vice president but one of Blatter's biggest critics, added: "I don't return gifts."

"I receive watches, you receive watches, we all receive watches, I have received several," Platini told the BBC in Geneva. "But I was surprised on the one hand to see the value of the watch.''
http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/st...44748/headline

Tags
diving , tears and writhing