Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #41
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's an article from the Washington Post regarding these medallions and how their value has grown incredibly (and why they fight companies like Uber/Lyft), also covers why they were created, etc - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...changing-that/
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #42
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
It shouldn't be illegal for innovators like uber to operate in Calgary.
Is it illegal? I didn't think it was? Uber was bought by Google who has more money than god, so I can't wait to see it here.

I took a cab from downtown YYC to Okotoks after a hockey game, and same thing as what some of the other posters said. He didn't want me in his cab. I ended up negotiating $20 over whatever the meter read just to convince him to take me home.

I have no problem watching cab companies struggle when you have attitudes like that. Pretty sure a sedan would be more than happy to drive me back at a rate lower than what the taxi charged me.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #43
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Is it illegal? I didn't think it was? Uber was bought by Google who has more money than god, so I can't wait to see it here.

I took a cab from downtown YYC to Okotoks after a hockey game, and same thing as what some of the other posters said. He didn't want me in his cab. I ended up negotiating $20 over whatever the meter read just to convince him to take me home.

I have no problem watching cab companies struggle when you have attitudes like that. Pretty sure a sedan would be more than happy to drive me back at a rate lower than what the taxi charged me.
The current bylaws categorize Uber as a "limo/towncar" service, and thus tags them with a minimum rate to bill. Uber basically can't make a go of things for short runs.

Quote:
http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/11/03...lot-successful

But a Calgary bylaw requires a minimum charge of $78.30 per hour for limos and sedans, so before Uber can set up shop permanently, that would need to change.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #44
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Taxi service in Calgary is downright awful. Not even counting the times I've waited hours for a taxi during Christmas party time, or Stampede, or whatever, I've found that even pre-booking a taxi for a morning trip doesn't help... here's what they do: You phone the day before, book for the next morning. They confirm your booking. Then, the next morning, 20 minutes before your taxi is due to come, they put the call out to their taxis to see who can get the booking. If those are all busy... tough luck! I missed a very important appointment because of that.

I have many stories of even during regular hours, where you order a taxi and it doesn't show up. And a late example: A few months ago I ordered a taxi for a relative, to show up at my place at 6:30, order placed at 4. It was to catch a plane. Taxi showed up after 7:30, by then, we got someone else to drive him.

There is no question they need to give out more licenses, and have greater accountability.

When I see such a widely acknowledged and talked about problem, and no real action in a regulated environment, its to the point my belief is something is corrupt in the system itself. I don't say that lightly.

Uber needs to be given the ability to operate in this city, and open it up to other technologies as well.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #45
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lack of cabs in this city combined with the new drunk driving laws creates a really dangerous situation for people. The bar to go to jail and otherwise have your life ruined in lower but the ability to find another way home after just a couple beers is the worst I've ever seen.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #46
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question: I've walked up to empty cabs many times when they're filling up at a gas station. They refuse to drive me and friends every single time and say something like, "I'm off" or related. What is the actual reason for this crap?

Quote:
Agreed, the fact that the plates themselves have become a commodity on the secondary market should have no bearing on what the City does. The primary point of taxi cabs are to provide transportation, not to act as people's guaranteed retirement plan.
Actually, I know a guy who owns one. He says they are rarely ever sold as it is far better business to lease out the driving time of the cab. I spent time to chat up a cabbie once and I confirmed that many license/cab's driving time is often shared by 2-3 guys (private leasing of the licenses is supposedly not allowed by Mayfair, Checkered or something and they can suspend/revoke licenses if discovered. I think Mayfair/Checkered enjoys huge profits leasing the licenses they own though. If you want to let go of your license, apparently you have to offer it to the main cab companies first or something too) Not sure if this is still the case (This was about 2-3 years ago). Cab pretty much runs anywhere between 16-20 hours a day with the swapping of drivers. I agree the system is really screwed up, but there are definitely many cabbies (by stories from other users) who aren't helping their cause.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #47
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fyi, Uber is not owned by Google.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #48
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any cab company can pick someone up at the airport. There is only one cab company that is allowed to queue in the arrivals, so they get the vast majority of the pick ups.

When I went to the airport last week, the cabbie told me that when I got back, go up to the departures and get a cab who is dropping someone else off. Then you can avoid the $3 additional airport fee. I tried that when I got back. I think I may have waited a little longer, but I didn't pay the fee. Not that $3 is a lot, but it is another option.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #49
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Fyi, Uber is not owned by Google.
Fair enough, but they do have a $300 000 000.00 investment in it

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/22/goo...est-deal-ever/
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #50
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uber did a trial weekend here in Calgary during the Federal PC party convention. They got around the bylaw by simply offering rides for a flat $5 fee that 100% of went to the Calgary Foundation.

I tried it out to get home from 17th avenue and it was slick. Easy app, driver name/picture/info and real time eta as he was on his way to me. Knew my name when I opened the door.

Awesome awesome awesome. Really need to get rid of that towncar/limo bylaw that hamstrings them and let them operate here.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #51
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Question: I've walked up to empty cabs many times when they're filling up at a gas station. They refuse to drive me and friends every single time and say something like, "I'm off" or related. What is the actual reason for this crap?
Yeah, the driver is filling up the cab for the next driver and he better not be late. He might give you a ride if he's going your way but if say you're out in the burbs and his changeover is close by, and you want to go downtown, he won't do it. Both drivers get the cab with a full tank.

I drove some in the 70s and owned a couple of cabs. Made decent money for the time as well and there was no hold on taxi plate licenses. Times have changed and not for the best.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #52
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump.

Article is a couple days old: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...390/story.html

Councillor withdrawing motion to add 310 new tax licenses because cab drivers don't want them.

tailwaggingdog.gif
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #53
Barbecue
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Please correct me if there's anyone more knowledgeable than I am, but isn't the cabbie's argument that they are unable to maintain a living if the # of licenses were unlimited?

it always seems that you cant get a cab during peak times like Friday & Sat night but what about the lack of demand during weekday morning/afternoon?

and part time taxi's? isn't that just cherry picking the peak hours?

not defending the cabbies, i'd like to here a rebuttal to this argument
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #54
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We tried United's app on Saturday night at about 3 am to order 2 cabs to the Canyon Meadows area. I must say that I was impressed, One cab answered the request approx. 30 secs after submission and was there within 10 min. The 2nd cab took 5 minutes for the job to be picked up and the cab was there 10 min. after that.

Overall a great experience, which surprised us especially during stampede. It will be my go to app for a cab from now on.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #55
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
Please correct me if there's anyone more knowledgeable than I am, but isn't the cabbie's argument that they are unable to maintain a living if the # of licenses were unlimited?

it always seems that you cant get a cab during peak times like Friday & Sat night but what about the lack of demand during weekday morning/afternoon?

and part time taxi's? isn't that just cherry picking the peak hours?

not defending the cabbies, i'd like to here a rebuttal to this argument
I believe their argument is two-fold.

1) Allowing more cabs (or unlimited cabs) would reduce or eliminate the value of their license, which some have based their futures on.

2) More drivers means more competition means more cabs being forced to take less desirable hours/fares.

I have no sympathy for either point, but someone at city hall obviously does.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #56
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

During an attempt to pick my aunt up from the airport last week I was traffic copped by a cab company employee wearing a yellow vest who was stopping traffic to let about 15 empty cabs cut infront of everybody. The greater majority of the cabs did not even stop to pick people up they just drove right through the arrivals area. Since when are they allowed to direct traffic?

Tags
cabs , calgary , calgary united cab