Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #101
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Did the male MUTA fertilize the eggs at some point? Seems like the eggs were already ready to go and all it did was bring food (warhead) to the nest.

I also don't get how the warheads were a radiation source. They are completely shielded with small amounts of plutonium primary and uranium secondary that are basically inert until a specific chain of events occur to cause critically.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #102
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Godzilla is just another movie that divides fans right down the middle, much like Man of Steel, Pacific Rim, Dark Knight Rises, Into Darkness, and Prometheus before it. Seemingly thefar majority of blockbusters do that these days with a few slight exceptions (Captain America, Inception and Transformers).
Everybody agrees Transformers is bad?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #103
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure the male fertilized the eggs that night, you just don't see it happen. The movie did that a few times, in that I think Edwards expected the audience to understand some of the events that occurred, without actually seeing it happen. Like I am pretty sure Godzilla was only "resurrected" because of that nuclear explosion, and probably would have died without it. Also that means it would have absorbed some of that energy, which is why millions of people didn't perish from the explosion (or from radiation exposure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Everybody agrees Transformers is bad?
No, but it definitely has not divided movie fans down the middle. Most people seem to agree that the franchise sucks, maybe 20-25% would disagree. It seems to be a primary indicator for many on what a truly bad action movie is. The reverse would be Captain America, Inception, Iron Man, Dark Knight, and the like where the far majority of moviegoers like those films (in the 80-90% range).

Last edited by trackercowe; 05-19-2014 at 01:59 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #104
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ha ha never change man you can't help but take a personal shot in any disagreement. Yeah I guess I should tone down the hate for Pacific Rim. The acting and story were so horrible that I can't wrap my head around how you could think it's better than Godzilla which is no masterpiece but the acting is Breaking bad compared to Son's of Anarchy in essence. I have come to the realization that some people actually liked Pacific Rim even if I can't wrap my head around it. It is what it is.
Dude, we're getting sensitive if that was a personal shot. You've randomly brought up Pacific Rim in numerous threads, we get it you hate it. I remember Locke was just as bad for Spiderman 3,a movie everyone hated but he consistently brought up his hatred for it.

I enjoyed Pacific Rim, didn't love it but more so then Godzilla. The first bit of Godzilla I was really into, thought that was interesting but it lost the plot after that. Taylor-Johnson just couldn't handle the load.

For the record, the first Captain America sucked.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #105
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So after a 100 million opening weekend in each US and global box offices, it's been announced by Warner bros that there will be a sequel!

Can't wait to see where they can go with it next.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #106
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So after a 100 million opening weekend in each US and global box offices, it's been announced by Warner bros that there will be a sequel!

I hope Ken Watanabe is back playing a Japanese guy who looks high on weed while passing a fart again.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #107
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

HBO, FX and AMC TV dramas have ruined movies for me. Went to see Godzilla last night. Super super cliche and illogical. The acting was brutal too.

I loved the fighting scenes though. The 3D made it look really cool. For what it's worth, it was a good monster movie.

I hated that they cast Marshall Mathers as the lead actor.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #108
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why did the MUTA have an EMP? And how did they not notice the female MUTA breaking out of a mountain next to Las Vegas? I feel like the search party would have at least felt it, or at the very least the unecessary helicopters that accompanied them would have noticed a 300 ft Cloverfield milling about the desert.

Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I had fun.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #109
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Just finished a screening of this and left the theatre pretty much thinking "meh"

Was hoping for better but Pacific Rim and Godzilla left me wanting so much more.

Pet peeve: The film cut away from Godzilla fighting two times before finally showing us the final fight.

2 out of 5
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #110
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Why did the MUTA have an EMP? And how did they not notice the female MUTA breaking out of a mountain next to Las Vegas? I feel like the search party would have at least felt it, or at the very least the unecessary helicopters that accompanied them would have noticed a 300 ft Cloverfield milling about the desert.

Otherwise, I enjoyed it. I had fun.
And further yet, why the hell didn't they just fertilize their eggs right there in the epicenter of the nuclear waste? I mean really, She broke out of a smorgasboard to mate with a dude who was chasing one single nuke hundreds of miles away from the main food source stockpile they were essentially seeking in the first place?

Anyways, I still think the movie was awesome. Giant monster fights are always cool to see on the big screen. I rememeber watching these Godzilla flick on tv back in the day wishing I could watch them in a theatre.

One more problem I had with the movie CGI was the ending. Comaparative to the rest of the movie, the CGI where Godzilla walks into the sea and swims away was far worse by a fair margin to the rest of the movie. I walked out thinking they ran out of money for the ending.

One more thing, was that an Olson twin as the lead actors wife? I swear it was.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #111
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Nope she's the younger sister of the Olsen twins, and is actually a fantastic actress. She's done some serious work, and probably her best performance was in Martha Marcy May Marlene (I also liked her in Silent House). One of the complaints I would have in the movie is that she was underused, and has shown to be capable of delivering compelling performances in the past (not sure I can say the same about Aaron Taylor Johnson).

Also of note she is going to be playing Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2, while Johnson is playing Quicksilver.

Oh and she's been naked in a few of her movies, so be sure to check that out as well!
Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #112
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post

Pet peeve: The film cut away from Godzilla fighting two times before finally showing us the final fight.
Yep, that's what bugged me the most too. Especially that first one --- so much build up to his big reveal, he roars, we're all like "Oh man, it's on!".... and cut to Kick-Ass's stupid family. Argh.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 05-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #113
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yep, that's what bugged me the most too. Especially that first one --- so much build up to his big reveal, he roars, we're all like "Oh man, it's on!".... and cut to Kick-Ass's stupid family. Argh.
It had a couple stupid moments like that. When buddy is on the train with the random lost kid plot the train tracks get demolished and half the train plummets to the ground. Our hero is barely hanging on, trying to stay in the train and... Cuts away. Then we see him next safe and sound.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #114
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

First time I've seen a new release opening weekend in years (one that isn't a cartoon, anyway). I enjoyed it. A few little things that were annoying, but a decent story with a good twist. Not happy with Cranston croaking early.

I actually hadn't seen Pacific Rim, watched it as soon as I got home as I had PVRed it. Not too bad, a little hokey. Probably would have looked much better at the theatre.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #115
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I hope Ken Watanabe is back playing a Japanese guy who looks high on weed while passing a fart again.
This also bugged me a lot. You have Ken Watanabe, pretty much couldn't ask for a better, more recognizable Japanese actor for this type of film. And all you get him do is look awe-struck and spout the same philisophical idea throughout the movie.

Him and Cranston, both wasted.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #116
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Mothra did show up by the way.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:11 AM   #117
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching this...and I dunno..it's a pretty solid 'meh'. I liked Godzilla, and the MUTA's were neat...but it really kinda felt like the movie just meandered along to it's conclusion.

Also, the 3D really felt/looked bad in this one, I thought. More so than 3D usually is. Everything felt pretty flat and 2D for a 3D movie. Anything that wasn't the immediate focus of the shot seemed to be extra blurry/twinned, too.

Don't feel I wasted the money, but won't be seeing it again, and won't be talking it up to friends.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #118
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
For the record, the first Captain America sucked.
Well I was obviously talking about Winter Solider, but you're dead wrong on the first Captain America movie. It's one of the only Marvel movies that doesn't feel like a rather formulaic comic book movie, which makes it quite good and superior than most on repeat viewings. It's just as much a World War II movie than anything, and the first hour is really great.

Which is probably what makes Captain America a great character to write for, in that you can use pretty much any sort of theme you like, since almost any material works well with his story. Just look at Winter Soldier, and how almost everything comes off flawlessly in the movie. If it weren't for the somewhat repetitive action beats from previous Marvel movies I'd probably consider it to be the best comic book adaptation yet.

Last edited by trackercowe; 05-21-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #119
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

One word

Godzooky

CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #120
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I think the only reason he was cast was so they could have a cool recognizable actor say "Godzilla" with a Japanese accent.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote