Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #241
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

4-1 Quinnipiac at the end of the 2nd. 0:29 left on a powerplay for St Cloud. They had some great chances on it so far, goalie made some unbelievable saves.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #242
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got distracted.

This is not looking good for St. Cloud.

Is the Quinnipiac goalie one of the Hobey Baker finalists?
The Swedish Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #243
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^ Yes.

ESPN commentators sort of dismissed Johnny Gaudreau aside because "he's only a sophomore", and that Quinnipiac's goalie and LeBlanc are the more likely candidates, with LeBlanc being the so-called "favorite".
Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #244
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder if it hurts Gaudreau's chances that he is younger than the others, and that he'll be back next year with many of BC's key players.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #245
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They did mention that the votes are already in for the Hobey Baker, so that goalie's performance in this game doesn't affect anything.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #246
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
I wonder if it hurts Gaudreau's chances that he is younger than the others, and that he'll be back next year with many of BC's key players.
I've read somewhere else that the award almost always goes to a senior.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #247
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
there has always been a bias in the Hobey Baker voting for older players.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #248
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Too little too late for St Cloud, 4-1 the final.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #249
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flame View Post
I've read somewhere else that the award almost always goes to a senior.
that or a junior, freshmen & sophomores rarely ever win
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #250
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Come on Yale and Agostino!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Swedish Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #251
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Hanowski signs tomorrow with Feaster in town?
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #252
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
So Hanowski signs tomorrow with Feaster in town?
If we sign him now and he gets some games in with the Flames that burns a year off his ELC, right?
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #253
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
^ Yes.

ESPN commentators sort of dismissed Johnny Gaudreau aside because "he's only a sophomore", and that Quinnipiac's goalie and LeBlanc are the more likely candidates, with LeBlanc being the so-called "favorite".
I was watching the Yale game, and during the intermission one of the analysts felt that Gaudreau would win. I hope he has more insight than the commentator you were listening to had!
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #254
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't follow CH as much as I used to, but I can see Gaudreau not winning the Hobey until his senior year. Similar to what Chris Drury did. Drury was always an awesome player at BU, but would always get beat out by someone else.

Drury did win it in his senior year, however I felt that it was probably the one year he didn't deserve it and deserved it more in the years he didn't get it.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #255
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
If we sign him now and he gets some games in with the Flames that burns a year off his ELC, right?
It won't matter I don't think. An NCAA player usually can only sign a 1 or 2 year ELC depending on their age If Hanowski is eligible for a 2 year ELC right now I believe he would only be eligible for a 1 year if its signed July 4th or later. I am pretty sure that no matter how you slice it his ELC will end the same date no matter what.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #256
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I was watching the Yale game, and during the intermission one of the analysts felt that Gaudreau would win. I hope he has more insight than the commentator you were listening to had!
I don't think the ESPN guys were dismissing Gaudreau because they think he doesn't deserve it. I think they were dismissing him because they understand that there is a bias in favor of older players.

Gaudreau is a sophomore, as sad as it is, it does makes his odds a little longer.

Like last year, you can't tell me that Jack Connolly was a better college player and had a better year than Justin Schultz. But Schultz was merely a junior. Christ Schultz should have won it as both a Sophomore and a Junior.

In 32 years of the award being handed out it has been given to 1 Freshman, 5 Sophomores, 4 Juniors and 22 Seniors.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #257
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
It won't matter I don't think. An NCAA player usually can only sign a 1 or 2 year ELC depending on their age If Hanowski is eligible for a 2 year ELC right now I believe he would only be eligible for a 1 year if its signed July 4th or later. I am pretty sure that no matter how you slice it his ELC will end the same date no matter what.
If I'm reading the CBA correctly (and I don't believe anything related to this changed in the new CBA), the length of a player's ELC is determined by his age as of September 15 in the calendar year in which he signed his first NHL contract.

If a player is between 18 and 21, his ELC is 3 years; if he's 22 or 23, it's 2 years; and if he's 24, it's 1 year. If a player is 25 or older (and not a "European" player, like Cervenka), he does not require an Entry-Level contract at all.

Hanowski's birthday is October 18, 1990, so he will be 22 on September 15. As such, he will be required to sign a two-year ELC.

I believe if he signs a contract immediately, and plays in Calgary this season, he will burn the first year of his ELC, and would be eligible for RFA status at the end of next season. Otherwise, next year will be the first year of his two-year ELC.

He could potentially hold-out until August 15 to reach UFA status, but that would be a gamble for a player who isn't a sure-fire NHLer.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #258
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If I'm reading the CBA correctly (and I don't believe anything related to this changed in the new CBA), the length of a player's ELC is determined by his age as of September 15 in the calendar year in which he signed his first NHL contract.

If a player is between 18 and 21, his ELC is 3 years; if he's 22 or 23, it's 2 years; and if he's 24, it's 1 year. If a player is 25 or older (and not a "European" player, like Cervenka), he does not require an Entry-Level contract at all.

Hanowski's birthday is October 18, 1990, so he will be 22 on September 15. As such, he will be required to sign a two-year ELC.

I believe if he signs a contract immediately, and plays in Calgary this season, he will burn the first year of his ELC, and would be eligible for RFA status at the end of next season. Otherwise, next year will be the first year of his two-year ELC.

He could potentially hold-out until August 15 to reach UFA status, but that would be a gamble for a player who isn't a sure-fire NHLer.
Thanks, I was thinking it was their age as of June 30th like it is for normal free agency, I always forget they use Sept. 15th for drafting and such.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #259
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You don't automatically burn a year off the ELC when you turn pro, the player has to play in X pro games. In previous years it was 10, not sure if it is different in this lockout year and if there's a different threshold for AHL vs NHL.

Hanowski goes straight to the Heat if he signs soon and doesn't necessarily play all the games. So he may not burn a year off his ELC.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #260
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
You don't automatically burn a year off the ELC when you turn pro, the player has to play in X pro games. In previous years it was 10, not sure if it is different in this lockout year and if there's a different threshold for AHL vs NHL.

Hanowski goes straight to the Heat if he signs soon and doesn't necessarily play all the games. So he may not burn a year off his ELC.
Isn't there only 3 heat games left?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote