Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Fixing an Xbox RROD

Hey CP,

My old Xbox finally red ringed. I've read it's a relatively simple fix, but think it's beyond my personal ability.

Has anybody paid for a repair in Calgary that could recommend somebody for relatively inexpensive? I'm not really ready to go out and buy a new Xbox, but it would be nice to play some hockey again

Thanks!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This guy is your man: http://killasoft.org/
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's a 1st or 2nd gen Xbox (circa ~2006), wrap a towel around it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-the-Xbox-360-Towel-Trick

It works because older Xbox's had bad soldering that gets brittle and cracks over time, and heating up the board makes the solder flow and re-attach itself. Works much like the videocard/motherboard in the oven trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

LOL, I got so sick of RROD's in 08, (I was on my 4th in 1 yr) that I called Microsoft to get a claim #, and when they sent me the Purolator box, I took a sledge hammer to the console on sent them back the pieces with a note. Keep this piece of sh1t I am sick of sending to you every 2 months. And I just bought a new one that was supposed have the Samsung chip (or something ) that supposedly didn't RROD.

They sent back a brand new on too. And that one has never failed...lol.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's not really that difficult to fix and all you need is $10 worth of hardware from Rona (mm units, Rona was the only place I could find the screws in metric) and some silver glue. You need a tool to pop the console open but thats easly done with a small flat head. I fixed my old xbox following a guide like this http://www.squidoo.com/xbox_360_red_...ow_to_guide123
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me and my buddy have fixed about 15 RROD xboxes over the last couple months. Basically, you have to open the xbox, remove the x-clamps at the base of the motherboard. Then you have to remove the heat sinks, clean them and ''reflow'' them (re-apply the paste). You then put the heatsinks back on. Then you plug the xbox back in and let it ''bake'' while it still has the RR. You do this by unplugging the fan and turn on the system. The heatsinks will heat up quickly, allowing the paste you just applied to melt into place. After a couple minutes of baking, you plug the fan back in and turn on the xbox. We haven't had one that has failed yet. The ONLY exception is modded xboxes. For some reason, if you fix a RR xbox that has a modchip, the fix will only a last a week or so, then its back to RROD. We still aren't sure exactly why.

The towel trick is a temporary fix and doesn't last forever because the xclamps at the base of the motherboard are pulling on the heat clamps, which bends the motherboard and severes the connection. Yes the towel trick does make the solder melt back into place, but as long as the xclams are still on the motherboard it won't last. The way we have done it is a permanent fix. PM me if you want more details and I can help you out.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

No luck with the towel trick. Two attempts and it's still RRODing.
I think I'll email that Killasoft fellow.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote