Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #121
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first pilot for LED lighting went up in Calgary close to 10 years ago, but the technology wasn't good enough yet. Only about 3 years ago did it start to make sense to install them.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #122
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Also Bunk. The mayor has been really into social media in talking to Calgarians. We've had people from all walks of life sign up to CP to talk to us or respond to things that have been said.

So the question is, when does CP get a visit from the mayor? Surely with all the effort he puts into staying in touch with Calgarians through all types of media, (and it's greatly appreciated) you and him could set up a little 1 or 2 hour "chat" thread on CP at some point, if time allows? It would be excellent for CP, and you know it would be well worth it, with all the intelligent posters and great dicussions we get on here.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-02-2013 at 07:55 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
V
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #123
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I once had Nenshi retweet a tweet of mine.

I don't have any questions however.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #124
jayswin

Exp:

Whoops, I killed the thread with that question. Sorry guys.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #125
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really a question, but just want to shake my head at some of the useless city council members (heard DCU's name). I heard a report this morning that some of these clowns want to lower the Deerfoot Trail speed limit to 80km/h. Like Deerfoot isn't already slow enough with all the laggards on there. To think they want to drop the speed limit. What the hell are they thinking?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #126
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Not really a question, but just want to shake my head at some of the useless city council members (heard DCU's name). I heard a report this morning that some of these clowns want to lower the Deerfoot Trail speed limit to 80km/h. Like Deerfoot isn't already slow enough with all the laggards on there. To think they want to drop the speed limit. What the hell are they thinking?
That can't be serious can it?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #127
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^^^ I saw a portion of Deerfoot that was 95 the other day. Haven't been there since so I don't know if that was permanent or because of weather or construction or something like that.

95, weird number, so of course it stuck out.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #128
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
^^^ I saw a portion of Deerfoot that was 95 the other day. Haven't been there since so I don't know if that was permanent or because of weather or construction or something like that.

95, weird number, so of course it stuck out.
Are you sure it wasn't a yellow (suggesedt speed) sign? The only place I've ever seen 95 on deerfoot is northbound as you pass under 17th ave se, before you get to memorial. It's a yellow sign, with a 95 on it, which means suggested speed, the actual speed limit is still 100.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #129
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Yes, there is a yellow 95 sign northbound under 17th. The speed limit is still 100.

That being said, if there was anywhere on deerfoot where 100 speed limit is too fast, it's there.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #130
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I'm pretty sure it was white, but now that you mention it I can't be 100% certain. I do know the difference. But now that I think about it, it was one of those, 'did I just see what I think I saw' moments. My brain may have just been on autopilot or something. You could be right.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #131
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I'm pretty sure it was white, but now that you mention it I can't be 100% certain. I do know the difference. But now that I think about it, it was one of those, 'did I just see what I think I saw' moments. My brain may have just been on autopilot or something. You could be right.
This is how I drive 100% of the time.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #132
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the LED Pilot - here's the report that went to the Committee on Transportation and Transit recently.

http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sire...3074819772.PDF
V
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #133
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Deerfoot ever falls under municipal jurisdiction, any chance the city would install lights on the on ramps to control the flow of traffic entering Deerfoot? I've seen that in California and it might help some of the bottleneck areas like Southland and Bow Bottom.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #134
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Also Bunk. The mayor has been really into social media in talking to Calgarians. We've had people from all walks of life sign up to CP to talk to us or respond to things that have been said.

So the question is, when does CP get a visit from the mayor? Surely with all the effort he puts into staying in touch with Calgarians through all types of media, (and it's greatly appreciated) you and him could set up a little 1 or 2 hour "chat" thread on CP at some point, if time allows? It would be excellent for CP, and you know it would be well worth it, with all the intelligent posters and great dicussions we get on here.
I don't handle that kind of thing, but I'll pass along the idea to his communications advisor. He's done things like live Globe and Mail chats before.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #135
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
If Deerfoot ever falls under municipal jurisdiction, any chance the city would install lights on the on ramps to control the flow of traffic entering Deerfoot? I've seen that in California and it might help some of the bottleneck areas like Southland and Bow Bottom.
Please explain what you're talking about before I freak out about the idea of putting traffic lights on free flowing on ramps.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #136
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Province has indicated it wants to had control of the road back to the City. Problem is, it comes with a $35 million annual maintenance bill and needs a few pretty substantial upgrades.

Last edited by Bunk; 01-02-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #137
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Please explain what you're talking about before I freak out about the idea of putting traffic lights on free flowing on ramps.
Haha, yeah, as soon as I read that I was racking my brain trying to think of ANY on ramps on deerfoot where such an idea wouldn't totally **** whatever street is merging onto deerfoot, lol.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #138
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
It's just a light that goes red for a second and stops every 3rd car. It's only during rush hour and it helps control the flow of traffic entering the freeway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #139
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's just a light that goes red for a second and stops every 3rd car. It's only during rush hour and it helps control the flow of traffic entering the freeway.
Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Any video of this?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #140
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramp_meter

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple