Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Will Telus Unlock my Iphone4?

Hoping someone can give me some advice before I contact Telus. I am going to be leaving on a trip to Europe in a few weeks and want to bring my iPhone, but obviously do not want to pay the International roaming rates with Telus, so I am hoping they will unlock my phone for me so I can buy an Italian sim card.

To give you a back story on the phone, I bought an iPhone 4 on a 3 year contact with Telus in August 2010 (right when they came out). I had that phone stolen in early 2011 and replaced it with my old iPhone 3g. Then about 4 months ago I purchased (used) a locked iPhone 4 and now have that phone on my Telus account with 6ish months left in my contract.

Do I have a leg to stand on asking for this phone to be unlocked, or am I going to be SOL due to the fact I still technically am paying off the first iPhone 4? Any help will be appreciated, if you guys think I'm screwed I won't even waste my time calling Telus.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov

Last edited by kipperfan; 12-15-2012 at 11:41 AM.
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Telcoms have to offer an unlocking service for their phones after they're off-contract. They don't have to offer it for free and they definitely don't. It will be cheaper to go to a 3rd party.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not too bad with Telus. Will cost $35. I don't know whether you'll be eligible since that's not the original iPhone but it looks to be okay.

Conditions
- The iPhone must operate on the TELUS’ HSPA network.
- Client must have an iPhone registered for a postpaid account with TELUS for at least 90 days.
- The customer’s account must be current and in good standing.
- The last three consecutive bills must have been paid in full.
- Available for Consumer, Business, and Corporate accounts
Sources:
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/05/31/te...arts-june-1st/
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/B...ple-fees.shtml
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had friends who say just take your SIM with you overseas and buy a cheapo throwaway cell phone there, and stick your SIM in it - then you have all your info, and you just buy time for the phone and when you leave, bin it or hand it to some kid. Avoid roaming charges, etc.

Could be they were pulling my leg....

Maybe they were pulling my leg....
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
We had friends who say just take your SIM with you overseas and buy a cheapo throwaway cell phone there, and stick your SIM in it - then you have all your info, and you just buy time for the phone and when you leave, bin it or hand it to some kid. Avoid roaming charges, etc.

That's wrong. The account is associated with the SIM, not the phone.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Super Nintendo Chalmers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post

Yeah, that would be a bad plan. If you put your SIM into another phone, that SIM is still tied to your local provider, so you would get charged roaming just like if you took your phone. Now, depending on whether it's compatible with the network where you're going, if you take your phone and put a local pay-as-you-go SIM in it, that will work.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote