Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #141
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Brust is quite the character.
He seems awesome. I like his gumption.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #142
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wheres Leland Irving?
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #143
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
Wheres Leland Irving?
being sent a message apparently.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #144
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, that was some terrible play-by-play work as well. I hate it when announcers call games like it's baseball and react to things seconds after they happen. You'd also think with the second goal, he'd also be a little more excited.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #145
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Irving was backing up Brust last night (surprisingly as it burned one of his games off his contract).
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #146
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
being sent a message apparently.
I think you are reading far too much into things.

The reason he isn’t getting many starts is because he doesn’t deserve many starts. However, Ward talking to the Fan acknowledge that he is likely slow to get up to speed because he didn’t expect to be in Abby and then was suddenly there last minute.

There are no messages being sent- the players that are playing the best play more.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #147
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I think you are reading far too much into things.

The reason he isn’t getting many starts is because he doesn’t deserve many starts. However, Ward talking to the Fan acknowledge that he is likely slow to get up to speed because he didn’t expect to be in Abby and then was suddenly there last minute.

There are no messages being sent- the players that are playing the best play more.
Honestly though, I'll accept the getting up to speed in the first few games. We're at 8 games now and he's at 1 start. He needs to be playing, and if he's not in the plans, let him play himself out of the plans. However as far as I know and from what we've been told, he is in the plans and should be out there.

Being sent a message was me being facetious, but this is bad asset management imo.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #148
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever the reason, I hate to see goalie prospects sitting on the bench. Last season was mostly a waste for Ortio in Abbotsfort. Those kids need starts. Find them some place where they can play.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #149
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly though, I'll accept the getting up to speed in the first few games. We're at 8 games now and he's at 1 start. He needs to be playing, and if he's not in the plans, let him play himself out of the plans. However as far as I know and from what we've been told, he is in the plans and should be out there.

Being sent a message was me being facetious, but this is bad asset management imo.
That’s the cost of awarding playing time on merit.

Irving is in control of his situation. Decisions on who plays are being made on what happens in games and in practice. If he wants to get in more – he needs to stop more pucks in those sessions.

Opportunities are earned.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #150
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel he earned more opportunity by recovering from a poor start and having a pretty good game against Erie. An actual game and not practice. If were hampering our only legitimate goalie stepping stone between Kipper and the kids over practice, then I think that's a pretty big problem.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #151
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
I feel he earned more opportunity by recovering from a poor start and having a pretty good game against Erie. An actual game and not practice. If were hampering our only legitimate goalie stepping stone between Kipper and the kids over practice, then I think that's a pretty big problem.
Why? What happens in practice is and should be a big factor in who plays.

I also don't know if he is the only legitimate goalie between Kpper and the kids - I think Ramo at this point very well could be considered a more likely successor.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #152
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taylor and Brust are obviously playing better right now - they deserve their starts. I love that Ward isn't handing starts to Irving just because he could be Kipper's heir apparent. He should earn the starts like the other guys have to. If he works his behind off in practice, he'll play.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #153
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

If these games were on network TV I think I could live with out the old fart Flames.

Ward is the coach I wanted, and I am more invested in the Flame's kids right now rather than the NHL roster.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #154
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Why? What happens in practice is and should be a big factor in who plays.

I also don't know if he is the only legitimate goalie between Kpper and the kids - I think Ramo at this point very well could be considered a more likely successor.
Perhaps. But based on the progress Irving made last season in the NHL I think that merits more than 1 start in 8 games. IMO his play last season was the best a Flames backup goalie has looked in nearly a decade.

This is a guy, after all, that the Flames invested a first round draft pick in. I'm all for equal opportunity, but don't you think they need to figure out exactly what they've got here?

Out of any of the Abby goaltenders he's the only guy who will have legitimate value to the Flames' future. Seems like an awfully big waste to have him sitting on the bench/in the press box.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #155
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Perhaps. But based on the progress Irving made last season in the NHL I think that merits more than 1 start in 8 games. IMO his play last season was the best a Flames backup goalie has looked in nearly a decade.

This is a guy, after all, that the Flames invested a first round draft pick in. I'm all for equal opportunity, but don't you think they need to figure out exactly what they've got here?

Out of any of the Abby goaltenders he's the only guy who will have legitimate value to the Flames' future. Seems like an awfully big waste to have him sitting on the bench/in the press box.
Well it’s 8 games in so far too early to panic particularly since he’s got a finite number of games he can play unless the lockout ends.

If he can earn the starting job in the AHL – it doesn’t say much for his chance to do it at the NHL level.

I like the kid but those are the cold hard facts. He’s competing for minutes with two minor league journeymen.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #156
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

These other guys are fine AHL goalies but have never shown anything that they will be anything else. Irving has shown that so far he can play in the NHL and as the Heat are a development team, he should get priority. Not all AHL stars can handle the NHL, look at McElhinney and Trefilov as examples.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #157
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

How many times can you see the word 'practice' in a thread before you start thinking about dropping Alan Iverson references?

For me it's 2.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #158
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it’s 8 games in so far too early to panic particularly since he’s got a finite number of games he can play unless the lockout ends.

If he can earn the starting job in the AHL – it doesn’t say much for his chance to do it at the NHL level.

I like the kid but those are the cold hard facts. He’s competing for minutes with two minor league journeymen.
Well like I said, he should be playing himself out of the future in games, it shouldn't be left to media and fans to pick apart vague comments about practices. Because from what I saw in the game, he earned at least a 50/50 role considering the investment in him.

Anyway, it just comes down to me really not being a fan of how they're handling this. Meritocracy is great and all, but that team exists to develop our kids too.

Last edited by nik-; 11-02-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #159
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Are they though? Is it a job that can be won? Or does it have to be lost by Taylor first? From what I have seen if the decision was being made with a "what have you done for me last shift" mentality then Brust should be the starting goalie.

Taylor won the job in Irving's absence last year and until he loses it it seems like Taylor is Ward's man.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #160
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ward mentioned in an interview during the intermission that he believes Taylor will play in the NHL someday.

I wish they would play Irving more too. Icetime based on merit should only go so far in a developmental league.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote