Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default NHL.com: New Draft Philosophy helping Flames' prospect pool

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=640009

Quote:
Assistant general manager John Weisbrod has furthered the team's drafting philosophy from what Darryl Sutter's regime began a few years earlier: identifying and snaring players with high hockey IQs.

"Sometimes you draft a guy that's a great skater or [has] great hands and all this, but then when he gets up to the next level, where everybody's a better skater and everybody has better hands, if they don't have the brain to figure it out and still maximize what they bring to the table, then they struggle," Weisbrod told NHL.com.

The Flames have started to accumulate some interesting pieces who seem to possess a healthy dash of brain power that is able to mesh with the instinct needed on the ice. The hope is a pipeline of productive players who give the franchise a much-needed jolt.

"I always use examples with our staff like Logan Couture in San Jose or Jeff Skinner in Carolina, or even Patrice Bergeron from my time with Boston," Weisbrod said. "These were guys that were downgraded [before they were drafted] whether it was their skating, their hands or some physical element, and they ended up rising above where they were projected just based on their hockey IQ and feel for the game. I would certainly say that is one of the more distinct changes we've made -- to really prioritize people that have hockey sense the way we define it, and have the ability to think and feel the game so that if their skills are in order, they'll have the rest of the pieces they need to compete at the highest level."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found it interesting that they have Aliu as our 5th best prospect; ahead of Nemisz, Irving, Granlund, and Ramage.

I mean, he was pretty effective in his two-game callup, but not to the point you can call him the fifth best prospect the Flames have.

Oh well, the rest of the article was great. I liked to hear some of things Weisbrod and Feaster had to say about those ten prospects.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is an opinion piece by an NHL staff writer (Brian Schiazza). It's a good article but I wouldn't take the rankings as the official opinion of the Calgary Flames.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Reanimate
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Haha. Feaster calls Aliu a "great skater" in this article. The guy is clueless or thinks we are.
Reanimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Nemisz/Breen
Backup Goalie

Exp:

How so ? Have you watched him much. He seems to be ok to me and I have watched him a lot. That short time in Calgary didn't show all aspects of his game. He can be a very effective player.
Nemisz/Breen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimate View Post
Haha. Feaster calls Aliu a "great skater" in this article. The guy is clueless or thinks we are.
Maybe you are?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Reanimate
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Maybe you are?
Really? You believe that Aliu is a good skater? He is terrible.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Reanimate
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemisz/Breen View Post
How so ? Have you watched him much. He seems to be ok to me and I have watched him a lot. That short time in Calgary didn't show all aspects of his game. He can be a very effective player.
I never said he couldn't be effective, but to call him a great skater is silly. Greg Nemisz is a better skater than Aliu, and Nemisz is pretty weak himself.