Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #181
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COGENT View Post
The Calgary Tower is on fire... doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Also, how many logos, icons, and patches does a team need?
- there's a flame on top of the calgary tower quite often
- the flame's main logo is a flaming C, is that not a good idea?
- they only currently use the flaming C for a logo, so this would make a grand total of 2
- their current shoulder logos are flags, which is lame
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #182
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch77 View Post

Well there you go...

Why did we ever stop doing that?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #183
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The A was cool. The C was stupid
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #184
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
Well there you go...

Why did we ever stop doing that?
For the A, we didn't:

As for the C, because it looked stupid?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #185
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
For the A, we didn't:

As for the C, because it looked stupid?
Yeah, I'm not sure how I forgot that we're still using the A. [/idiot]

I don't think the C looks bad. Although it does look a little weird when it's right next to a bigger version of the C on the chest. If we came out with an all new jersey design that did not simply have a Flaming C on the chest, then I'd say we should go back to the Flaming C for Captain.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #186
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingC4Life! View Post
Uh the 80's jerseys are far more orange than the 04's are maroon. The new ones are much the same. But voting for the old when you are, well, old, doesn't surprise me.
I have an on-ice authentic version of each jersey (retro, 2003-04 design, and Edge design), and side-by-side, the red is identical between them.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #187
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT77 View Post
You know it's spring and the Flames are golfing when the jersey threads are out in full force!

I'm glad so many of you still enjoy that old set I made waaaay back. I did it when it was announced that Reebok was taking over the NHL jerseys and the only template available at the time was the All-Star template from the previous year. That's exactly what it is - a recolour of the All-star jersey. The only "creative" thing I did was add the Alberta shoulder patches - which, honestly is just a rip-off of what Dallas did... just waaaay better.

I'm a huge fan of NO BLACK on the jersey. Not even as an accent. That isn't to say I don't like it - I actually love the Black 'C' but I think the Flames have always looked best in Red/Gold/White only. It's just so... classy.

I found this one I did a couple of years ago on my laptop this morning and thought I'd contribute it. Basically just a tweak of our old set. The shoulders might need a nice shoulder patch or something. I just like a clean look. Something our current home/away are NOT.

Anyway, please debate. I love these threads and how completely polarizing some of the opinions are!

I want these jerseys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo View Post
Here is my updated design with changes from feedback.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

- made numbers and "C" white for improved readability.
- Added silver outline around numbers and logos.
- made charcoal cloth of jersey and socks a bit lighter (to avoid one big black blob).

With a variation of this jersey as the third jersey.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #188
Dr. Pepper
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon57 Any more ideas?

Keep those ideas coming... Can anyone design a new classic-looking but modern design?
Dr. Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #189
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Uh the 80's jerseys are far more orange than the 04's are maroon. The new ones are much the same. But voting for the old when you are, well, old, doesn't surprise me.
I didn't realize that being in your twenties was old.

The 80s jerseys are red. Plain and simple. They may appear orange because of the interplay with the white and the bright yellow on them as well - just as the '04 jerseys appear darker because of the black C and the black trim. I also miss the red Montreal-style bar that was on top of the white jersey.

As far as this titantic struggle to find shoulder-patches that everyone likes, why are they even neccessary?

http://www.hhof.com/htmlinduct/ind07MacInnis.shtml

Check out all those pics of Al Macinnis. He doesn't have a shoulder patch in any of them except for the Stanley Cup finals one. Shoulder patches should be for achievements and special events. You don't need state and provincial flags, burning towers, or flaming snot-horses on the shoulders year-round.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #190
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper View Post
Keep those ideas coming... Can anyone design a new classic-looking but modern design?

I'd like someone to try my idea out. Taking out the yellow can make the jersey look so much more modern. How do others use a program or something to do the concept?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #191
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like tomo's design, especially the updated one with the white. Very "futuristic" looking which I think is excellent.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #192
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just thought about another possibility - using the template of the LA Kings white jersey with Flames colours. I'd think that'd look pretty sweet.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #193
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I understand the desire to go "retro" but I have to agree that the 80s style jersey needs to stay in the 80s. If anything we want to go retro it still needs to have a fresh modern take. Just taking the exact same jerseys we worn in the 80s gives off a vibe that we're out of fresh ideas as a club.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #194
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I just thought about another possibility - using the template of the LA Kings white jersey with Flames colours. I'd think that'd look pretty sweet.

using the kings jersey.....

Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #195
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You need to get your eyes checked. I've got over 20 jerseys hanging in my closet right now. My vintage Flames jersey and my retro are NOT the same red as my 04 or my RBK. Argue all you like but they aren't.
I don't know what to tell you, but you're wrong. You're also the only one I've heard say this. You must have fakes from china.
Quote:
You know what's awesome about the current Flames jersey? Or even the 04's? They don't copy anyone else. Going after other team's styles and substituting Flames colours is like when your kid comes home with 18 pieces of metal in her face and tells you it's an expression of her individuality just like all her other friends have done. Bleh!
Anaheim and Colorado had the angled stripping long before Calgary. Plus those jerseys BCChris posted are almost identical to the ones the Atlanta Flames wore in their first season. So who copied whom? The pedestal jerseys were quite original, but everyone hates them (they're my favourite). Here they are without the pedestals.

just an idea.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #196
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Plus those jerseys BCChris posted are almost identical to the ones the Atlanta Flames wore in their first season. So who copied whom?
The Atlanta design that carried over to the 80's Flames was a typical jersey design from that era. Google 'old WHA jerseys' and the majority of teams have the same stripe design, just different colors.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #197
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This is Awesome!! Black and Red have been proven to intimidate opponents. Just one more reason to use the black.
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fischy13 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #198
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
- there's a flame on top of the calgary tower quite often
- the flame's main logo is a flaming C, is that not a good idea?
- they only currently use the flaming C for a logo, so this would make a grand total of 2
- their current shoulder logos are flags, which is lame
-You're right, there is a flame that burns on top of the Calgary Tower. This is the tower on fire... not the same thing.
-The flaming C is a good idea! It's not a physical object in the city on fire.
-We have the Flaming C (in various colours), Flaming A, Flaming horse head and now flaming tower which makes a grand total of 4.
- their current shoulder patches are flags, which is OK. The better alternative would be no shoulder patches IMO.
COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #199
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COGENT View Post
-You're right, there is a flame that burns on top of the Calgary Tower. This is the tower on fire... not the same thing.
-The flaming C is a good idea! It's not a physical object in the city on fire.
-We have the Flaming C (in various colours), Flaming A, Flaming horse head and now flaming tower which makes a grand total of 4.
- their current shoulder patches are flags, which is OK. The better alternative would be no shoulder patches IMO.
hmmmm.... possible "next logo idea" for the canucks!?!?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #200
DT77
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Remove the white shoulders but leave the gold shoulder trim (a la Carolina Hurricanes) on the home jersey, replace the white on the collar with red and I think we have a winner.
I gave it a shot. It was kinda ugly. If I have time this week, I'll post it.

Quote:
Hey these are great! Would it be too much trouble to ask you to show these with the current number style on the back, numbers on the arms below the shoulder color area, with a captain's "C" on the front? That would give a real nice idea of the full look!
Yes, I can do that once I get the time. Do we want to continue with the current number set or go back to the 80s style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
The Atlanta design that carried over to the 80's Flames was a typical jersey design from that era. Google 'old WHA jerseys' and the majority of teams have the same stripe design, just different colors.
In fairness to everyone back in the Atlanta Flames days and how popular those striping patterns were (Boston in particular was identical as were many others) they actually followed the striping pattern of most fire trucks. Kinda cool.

Which is why I thought the Flames jerseys could maybe follow the striping patterns of the Calgary Fire Dept.

And to those of you who think the shade of red of the Flames jerseys has changed over time - it hasn't. The black only makes it look darker in comparison. Pictures can also be deceiving based on lighting, etc. Take two authentic sweaters from any era and set them side-by-side and the red should be a match.
DT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DT77 For This Useful Post: