Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Calgary Organic Food Delivery?

With a little one on the way, we're looking at having fresh organic produce and meat (if that's an option) delivered to our house.

Any recommendations for produce / meat?
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Never used, but have heard of spud.ca
dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given that the price of normal groceries is now sky high - I shudder to think how much organic food and delivery would be
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

We used Twisted Basil once. The food was good.

Twistedbasil.com
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

thanks guys, appreciate the comments!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

We get spud. Lots of good stuff. Mrs. Furnace does the buying and I pay no attention to it so no idea how expensive it is but it'll be reasonable.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're going to be one of those parents? /british voice "oh my little Reginald must have organic produce, the benefits of which are negligible at best"
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

We used to get spud. I guess we finally gave up when we would end up getting more produce every week anyway and the costs were really out of whack (at least IMO). The delivery part was nice, but then again you're at the grocery store anyway, so grabbing some produce while you're there is pretty simple and then you can pick it!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We use SPUD, though are considering cancelling for a while. We are set up for a produce box every two weeks, but we're finding the selection quite poor lately - part of it is likely because we had a bumper crop of root veggies from our garden this year so we aren't interested in potatoes, onions, beets, etc. You can swap out items you don't want, which is really nice, but there comes a point when you're swapping out half your basket that it's not worthwhile.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I guess that's part of the problem living where we do... "organic / local" food 9 months out of the year means you're getting basket of root vegetables... The selection is pretty thin on SPUD's site, as well as twistedbasil.

For the record, Reginald will not be getting organics due to " the health benefits of organic food " it's more due to the " I am pretty sure the piss-poor health regulations in Mexico (where most of our produce seems to come from) result in some pretty epic pesticides being all over that lettuce you're eating "

I am interested in organic produce solely to know that it hasn't been dipped in bug-repelling cancer juice. As for organic meat, it's more for the hormone freeness. If I have a girl I don't want her growing tits at age 4.

Last edited by THE SCUD; 12-12-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Follow up question - maybe hormone-infused beef is a good idea if I have boy, maybe it will do for his schlong what the hormones seem to do for girls chests. I am sure he'd be a hit with the ladies, rocking a 9" trouser snake in grade 6!

pros and cons...pros and cons...
Old 12-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SCUD View Post
I guess that's part of the problem living where we do... "organic / local" food 9 months out of the year means you're getting basket of root vegetables... The selection is pretty thin on SPUD's site, as well as twistedbasil.
Very true. When we first signed up, we didn't have a garden and so we were okay with all the root veggies, but these last two winters we've managed to have a good amount of our own to just not need SPUD as much. Their customer service is good, I have to say. They've sometimes screwed up our order or sent stuff that was spoiling and were very quick to credit us.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
lazy_programmer
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
With a little one on the way, we're looking at having fresh organic produce and meat (if that's an option) delivered to our house.

Any recommendations for produce / meat?
Not produce, but we've bought meat from these guys:

http://tkranch.com/ and they deliver.
lazy_programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scud - if it makes you feel any better, my daughter is 6 and so far she shows no signs of early maturation and she has been raised exclusively on non-organic produce.......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As for organic meat, it's more for the hormone freeness. If I have a girl I don't want her growing tits at age 4.
You know that isn't true, right? 'Hormones' in non-organic food do not cause early puberty. It's a misconception, and one that is often used to tout the 'benefits' of organic foods.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

You're way too corporate to be eating organic food. Leave that for the self-righteous hipsters.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

wow, lots of people who discredit organics on here, what gives?

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.skepdic.com/organic.html

Organic food is food produced by organic farming, a set of techniques based on anti-scientific beliefs, myths, and superstition.

A key belief of groups like the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM) and the Soil Association, which oppose conventional farming in favor of organic farming, is that pesticides and fertilizers are so harmful that they should be avoided unless they are "natural." This belief is contradicted by the vast majority of scientific studies that have been done on these subjects (Morris and Bate 1999; Taverne 2006; NCPA study). The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has put in place a set of national standards that food labeled "organic" must meet, whether it is grown in the United States or imported from other countries. "USDA makes no claims that organically produced food is safer or more nutritious than conventionally produced food. Organic food differs from conventionally produced food in the way it is grown, handled, and processed."*

The evidence for the superiority of organic food is mostly anecdotal and based more on irrational assumptions and wishful thinking than on hard scientific evidence. There is no significant difference between a natural molecule and one created in the laboratory. Being natural or organic does not make a substance safe* nor does being synthetic make a substance unsafe.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4019

http://skepticdetective.wordpress.co...s-organic-too/

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...ore-healthful/

Overall there does not appear to be any advantage for health to organic farming (sustainability and environmental effects being a separate issue). However, despite the fact that organic farming has been around for over 50 years, there is a surprisingly small amount of quality research available. The organic farming industry and popularity of organic products is growing. Organic products are more expensive, and questions remain about whether or not such methods would be adequate to supply our food needs. There may also be hidden health risks or unintended consequences to relying upon organic farming. There may also be benefits that have not been adequately documented. Therefore, this is one area where I think it is reasonable to conclude more research is genuinely needed.

Last edited by troutman; 12-12-2011 at 02:35 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

trout... no comments of your own, just regurgitating?

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
trout... no comments of your own, just regurgitating?
Have not though about this issue much before. Just sharing my research with you.

Why would you want my comments, when we can hear from experts?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote