Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #81
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

You may also need a new PSU depending on what powersupply the Pavillion has. Never buy an OEM PC like HP or Dell if you intend to upgrade things in the future. They really aren't friendly. Length depends on which card you want.

Just google.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1364/2/

8.25" in length.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #82
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
You may also need a new PSU depending on what powersupply the Pavillion has. Never buy an OEM PC like HP or Dell if you intend to upgrade things in the future. They really aren't friendly. Length depends on which card you want.

Just google.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1364/2/

8.25" in length.
I totally agree, except I got this one for free since the person I was fixing it for went out and bought a new computer the day he dropped it off for me!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #83
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I totally agree, except I got this one for free since the person I was fixing it for went out and bought a new computer the day he dropped it off for me!
Nice. If it doesn't fit, there is always the dremel.

(also there are shorter 460s out there and even single slot 5770s).
Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #84
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been hearing recently that a brand new line of Video cards are coming out in October which should see the price of mid-range cards more than capable of running BF3 should come down in price.

I just recently bought a i5 2500k processor and I'm loving it. Probably grab the nVidia 560TI just before release.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #85
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I've been hearing recently that a brand new line of Video cards are coming out in October which should see the price of mid-range cards more than capable of running BF3 should come down in price.

I just recently bought a i5 2500k processor and I'm loving it. Probably grab the nVidia 560TI just before release.
Remember to get a P67 or P68 based motherboard for that i5 2500K otherwise the "K" part of that CPU is wasted and you could have just gone with the regular i5 2500.

The new cards are AMD's 7xxx series and may or may not arrive in the fall. Regardless, their performance will not be significantly higher than the 6xxx series. It will be like the case of the 6xxx series compared to the 5xxx series. The speeds are mostly the same. They just scale the numbers around. The real value is if the new line brings the prices of old cards down as new cards are always overpriced for what they are.

IE: the current top of the line single core card is the 6970 which costs up to $400 retail after taxes. For $200 I can buy a used 5870 that is almost exactly fast (if not faster if it overclocks well).
Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #86
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Discount for anyone looking to get the Limited Edition (which includes the Back to Kirkland DLC): http://forums.redflagdeals.com/battl...6-d2d-1073881/

$45, pretty sweet.
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #87
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

It's not even an Origin exclusive... it's on D2D, just not Steam. EA sucks.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #88
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
It's not even an Origin exclusive... it's on D2D, just not Steam. EA sucks.
Except you have to download and run Origin in order to play regardless of how you purchase the game.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #89
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

You still need to run Origin to play BF3. D2D is not a competing service as a completely platform to Origin as Steam is. Also Steam will not give EA control of DLCs themselves which I believe was one of the sticking points.