Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #2041
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am planning a flight to Kelowna in late January, but am noticing these promo flights that are happening halt in mid-December.

Am I better to book now at what rate I can find or wait for a flight deal that will extend to flights at the end of January?
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #2042
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAV View Post
I am planning a flight to Kelowna in late January, but am noticing these promo flights that are happening halt in mid-December.

Am I better to book now at what rate I can find or wait for a flight deal that will extend to flights at the end of January?
Unfortunately, that involves predictions of a market, similar to predicting the stock market.

Personally, for late Jan, I wouldn't be too afraid to watch up to November/December to see if anything interesting comes out. Westjet and AC aren't likely to offer up promos/sales for the New Year until then.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #2043
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid888 View Post
Any way to apply this discount with a vacation package rather than just flights?
As cmyden said, you cannot do that. What I would personally suggest (and have done before) would be to book the flight, then book your all inclusive hotel room (if that is indeed what you're looking for) separately. For example, you could stay in the Riu Santa Fe for seven nights at $580 per person (assuming double occupancy in each room) and that would include your flight, all inclusive hotel, all taxes and transfers to and from the airport. Or you could stay in the Riu Palace (very nice place, went myself a while back) for $830 per person, again for seven nights and everything included. You can book right through the Riu website, they set up your airport transfers and everything. Other hotels might be similar, but I am personally familiar with the Riu's.

http://www.riu.com/buscarDisponibilidad.do

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #2044
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some flights in Oct and Nov from YYC-Cancun seem to be quite affordable. As low as $435 return, including fees and taxes. It's on Delta, and some connections are better than others. Flight can route through SLC, MSP, LAX and ATL on the outbound and possibly ATL and the above on the return.

You have to search for the right dates (e.g. use a flexible date search) but this is a pretty sweet price for this destination. The key is finding the flights from their hubs - Saturday AM flights from SLC, MSP and daily from ATL. Overnights are generally required on the return unless you catch the early ATL flights.

I found it by accident - our return from Cancun in November is $186 pp - $100 less than the nearest date. Unfortunately our outbound is nowhere near these prices so I'm hesitating whether Air Canada or Westjet with their 15% off is a good deal (currently around $300 one-way). Guess I have till the end of the day today.

Example dates Oct 29-Nov 5.

Hope someone else can jump on this. (incidentally Edmonton flights are close to the same price as well for those desperate to get away).
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #2045
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Continental/United seems to have dropped their September/October flights to Buenos Aires, Argentina down to $884 roundtrip after taxes.

example: http://www.kayak.com/flights/#YYC-EZ...10-19-flexible

Flights to Buenos Aires have been pretty expensive lately, the cheapest in November/December are nearly $1400.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 08-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #2046
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hey Chris, great work on this thread as usual. With SE asia being so cheap atm, ($900) Is it a good idea if planning to go to Vietnam in mid march just to leave it on a Kayak price alert? They are quoting me $1500 ish atm, to book now.
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #2047
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where ru Chris O'Sullivan View Post
Hey Chris, great work on this thread as usual. With SE asia being so cheap atm, ($900) Is it a good idea if planning to go to Vietnam in mid march just to leave it on a Kayak price alert? They are quoting me $1500 ish atm, to book now.
Sure, it can't hurt. I would probably choose 'flexible dates' when setting the alert though. Even if you're not flexible, it will give you an idea when there's been price movement. Kayak doesn't really 'quote' (or take bookings), they're a meta-search engine that searches other fare search engines, pretty much in real-time.

In mid March you should be able to see a few select flights for around $1087 CDN roundtrip after taxes at the moment if your dates are flexible...

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#/YYC-S...03-28-flexible

Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #2048
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am leaving to Mexico for a wedding tonight, just wondering am I going to have to pay for a travellers visa when I get to mexico or will there be some Federales there looking for a bribe when I get off the plane?

I have heard $20-$50 US fee. Thank you.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #2049
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I am leaving to Mexico for a wedding tonight, just wondering am I going to have to pay for a travellers visa when I get to mexico or will there be some Federales there looking for a bribe when I get off the plane?

What? Never heard of this before. Whoever told you this got took.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #2050
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Cuba has this, Mexico does not.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #2051
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

It's in your airfare. You have Mexican Tourist tax that you have to pay when you buy the ticket. Otherwise you have to pay it when you cross the border in a car if you're not staying in the tourist zone (err 100 km from the border).

Speaking of Mexico, Westjet's Blue Tag Thursdays is great this week - Sept to Dec "Sun Destinations" are cheap. As low as 99 (200 with taxes) to Mazatlan. Other destinations are Grand Cayman, Bahamas, etc. Worth a look.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #2052
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Air Canada is adding a $25 each way bag fee on the first bag to U.S. destinations, similar to what U.S. carriers have been doing for a while.

Westjet to follow suit? They did last time.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #2053
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sep 9-18 from Calgary to Manchester, UK just dropped to $592 roundtrip after taxes on Air Transat's site.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #2054
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sorry if this is not the right thread, but I'm currently looking for Disney world (4 days with park hopping and water park options) and Universal tickets (1 day for both parks) for a decent price.

Does anyone any suggestions where to look here in Calgary?

Thanks in advance.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #2055
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Sorry if this is not the right thread, but I'm currently looking for Disney world (4 days with park hopping and water park options) and Universal tickets (1 day for both parks) for a decent price.

Does anyone any suggestions where to look here in Calgary?

Thanks in advance.
It's worth looking at the package deals from e.g. Westjet or Air Canada vacations. SOmetimes the park hopper-type tickets are included as part of the price - but not very often. You can usually get the hotel for cheaps though. Westjet also has the benefit of non-stops to Orlando (who wants the kids complaining any more than necessary - unless you're a mile runner and look for the connections!)

Otherwise Priceline-ing the hotel (plus booking flights through reg channels, cheapest flights etc) can work since they now have on-property hotels available. I've never been to DW but understand on-property hotels let you start 1 hr earlier than the general public (i.e. shorter lines).
Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #2056
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Munich for Oktoberfest? - $598 roundtrip after taxes

Air Transat just dropped the price of their September 14-22 flight from Calgary to Munich, Germany down to $598 roundtrip after taxes (about 56% cheaper than the next cheapest airline, British Airways).

Munich's world famous Oktoberfest (largest festival in the world) starts on September 17th. Good timing!

Anyone here been to Oktoberfest?

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #2057
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cmyden,

I'm thinking of travelling from Calgary to Sydney, Australia. I've got a search set up in Farecompare, but I am not sure I'll know a good price when I see it.

Typically, what time of year is the cheapest airfare? What airline is generally the best option?

Thanks so much!
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #2058
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Cmyden,

I'm thinking of travelling from Calgary to Sydney, Australia. I've got a search set up in Farecompare, but I am not sure I'll know a good price when I see it.

Typically, what time of year is the cheapest airfare? What airline is generally the best option?

Thanks so much!
Just a note about FareCompare, it sends out a LOT of false positives. Mostly thanks to the fact that it can't calculate taxes/fees correctly. It's ok for a 'where there's smoke there's fire' type of alert though.

To Sydney, the very bottom from Calgary in the past has generally been around $1100 roundtrip after taxes. Mostly it's been United offering the cheapest flights. Perhaps the best in terms of price, but others can tell you it's not the best for comfort.

For some reason April/May flights seem to stick out in my mind as being the cheapest, popping up around the end of winter.

Australia seems to have been more expensive lately though, don't think there's been anything below $1400ish in a while. Seems to be all about SE Asia at the moment for long distance flights.

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #2059
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks Cmyden! That was an ultra quick response!

I appreciatte what you are saying about United .... I have had all but one of my 6 bad airline experiences on United! I'll generally pay more to avoid them now, but sometimes its nearly impossible with all of the airline allegiances and rebranded flights.

$1400 - $1600 was what I have been finding also. Good to know the very bottom is generally $1100... not much point waiting if an airfare is sub-$1400.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 AM   #2060
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Hi Cmyden, flights to Tokyo appear to have taken an astronomical turn for New Years lately . . . Do you expect flights to Tokyo / Asia to dip again for that time of year? Please tell me yes lol . . .
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote