Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #1921
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Air Canada just released a promo code for 30% off flights between AB and AB, BC, MB, NT, Thunder Bay, and YT.

link: http://aircanada.com/en/offers/air/d...t.html#-GOWEST

The code is WEST

Quote:
Save 30% off Tango and Tango Plus fares on select flights within Western Canada

To get your exclusive discount, simply enter this promotion code when booking right here at aircanada.com:
Promotion code
WEST

Valid on Tango and Tango Plus fares.
For travel until September 4, 2011.
Book by June 28, 2011 midnight, from your city of departure.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #1922
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
West Jet has some pretty good seat sales going on right now. I just booked a round trip to Toronto for $494, taxes included.
It's this one:

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal...to-ge-20110623

$500ish is pretty much the usual bottom these days. Toronto doesn't truly go on sale all too often. It did once this year though, when they dropped to $350ish.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 06-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #1923
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cymden. I need a flight from LAX-BKK for December 29th. Prices right now, stand cheapest at $620. I only need a one way ticket. Do you know if it will be cheaper later in the year, or should I buy now? I dont care about connections, or routes, as long as I get to Bangkok.

I should mention I am open with dates and cities to fly out of. I will be flying from St. Lucia to which ever city I choose to get to Bangkok from. lol... So it is kinda open. Preferably I would liek to fly there on December 29th, but willing to fly on a later date if it is a lot cheaper.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #1924
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewboy12 View Post
Cymden. I need a flight from LAX-BKK for December 29th. Prices right now, stand cheapest at $620. I only need a one way ticket. Do you know if it will be cheaper later in the year, or should I buy now? I dont care about connections, or routes, as long as I get to Bangkok.

I should mention I am open with dates and cities to fly out of. I will be flying from St. Lucia to which ever city I choose to get to Bangkok from. lol... So it is kinda open. Preferably I would liek to fly there on December 29th, but willing to fly on a later date if it is a lot cheaper.
Hi Drew,

Airfares are unpredicatable, by anyone, and here's my best attempt to explain why...

http://www.yycdeals.com/should-i-buy...asked-the-most

Anything around Christmas holiday period though, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high for a deal.

$620ish seems pretty decent really. Take a look at mid-October, and prices are only $40 cheaper...

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#LAX-BK...10-19-flexible

St. Lucia to LAX seems like the smartest choice to me.

Last edited by cmyden; 06-23-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #1925
likwid888
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This may be a bit too soon. But do you know of any deals for Calgary - Honolulu in early October?
likwid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #1926
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone break the travel related internet? itasofware wasn't working earlier today, and now it's "down for maintenance" and when I hit the yycdeals map I'm not getting any information.

The 2011-2012 schedules up and I need to book in a road trip!
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #1927
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Someone break the travel related internet? itasofware wasn't working earlier today, and now it's "down for maintenance" and when I hit the yycdeals map I'm not getting any information.

The 2011-2012 schedules up and I need to book in a road trip!
https://matrix1.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch

Seems to work fine for me?

Ah wait, just noticed it's redirecting to HTTPS now. Believe it was just HTTP before? Could be the problem.

I'll take a look at the deals map to see what the issue is.

Quote:
This may be a bit too soon. But do you know of any deals for Calgary - Honolulu in early October?
Actually I was just noticing today that WestjetVacation packages to Hawaii in October took a bit of a tumble from some cities. Not as much for Calgary though. Courtyard by Marriott packages are at $884/person for flight + hotel. Try departing Oct 3.

What's the best one you've seen so far?

Last edited by cmyden; 06-23-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #1928
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
https://matrix1.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch

Seems to work fine for me?

Ah wait, just noticed it's redirecting to HTTPS now. Believe it was just HTTP before? Could be the problem.

I'll take a look at the deals map to see what the issue is.
That link is for the original (matrix 1) version. When you go to itasoftware and hit "Search Airfares Now" it takes you to the new version found here: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ Actually, that takes you to an error page currently.

Thanks for the link to the older version though, didn't think it would still be working, should have checked my old favourite...

And as always, thanks for the yycdeals.com map. Seriously the best part of the internet.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #1929
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
That link is for the original (matrix 1) version. When you go to itasoftware and hit "Search Airfares Now" it takes you to the new version found here: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ Actually, that takes you to an error page currently.

Thanks for the link to the older version though, didn't think it would still be working, should have checked my old favourite...
Ah right, I forgot maybe not everyone would still use the original version. Personally I think the original interface is better and it's definitely far more powerful especially if you know a few of the commands.

I'm guessing that they're moving servers today, or at least changing something around, evidenced by the HTTPS in the URL now. Let's just hope it's not Google throwing off the switch.

Quote:
And as always, thanks for the yycdeals.com map. Seriously the best part of the internet.
Thanks! A lot more interesting things on the way!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #1930
likwid888
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I was just noticing today that WestjetVacation packages to Hawaii in October took a bit of a tumble from some cities. Not as much for Calgary though. Courtyard by Marriott packages are at $884/person for flight + hotel. Try departing Oct 3.

What's the best one you've seen so far?
We are actually looking to stay in a specific hotel (Hilton Hawaiian Village). The best we have seen is around $2500, flights and 7 nights, for 2 people. I believe it was through the WestJet Vacations site.
likwid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #1931
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quick question

What is the difference between Business Class and First Class for Air Canada?
We are using our Aeroplan points for a trip to Hawaii. With Business class, it starts at 120000 points. With first class, it's 160000 points. Not sure if it's worth going from Business Class to First Class. Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #1932
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid888 View Post
We are actually looking to stay in a specific hotel (Hilton Hawaiian Village). The best we have seen is around $2500, flights and 7 nights, for 2 people. I believe it was through the WestJet Vacations site.
If you have it narrowed down to one specific hotel, just compare it to what the flight and hotel would cost separately on Kayak. That will pretty much cover all your bases.

Could give Expedia a shot to see if having them mash together the flight + hotel gives any savings (occasionally it will if they've been able to get a discount on a block of rooms).

The Canadian tour operators have it at around $1234/person after tax for their cheapest packages to that hotel at the moment as you've found.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #1933
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
Quick question

We are using our Aeroplan points for a trip to Hawaii. With Business class, it starts at 120000 points. With first class, it's 160000 points. Not sure if it's worth going from Business Class to First Class. Thoughts?
It usually comes down to better food and more space/comfort. Sometimes more attention per passenger.

I think you get the pod seats in Business, so not sure if there's a big difference there.

Personally I think both Business & First are a huge ripoff for what you get for the money (whether it's in point form or not). Can't imagine it unless it was on someone else's dime, or I was so ludicrously rich that money had no value to me.

Assuming an Aeroplan point is worth about 1.6 cents per mile ...

http://thoughtsfrommylife.com/articl...Comparing_Them

40,000 points = $640 for slightly better food and a little more comfort.

Can think of some pretty nice restaurants a couple could eat at for $640. Or pay for a nicer room in Hawaii (and it will last the whole week). Hell, that's another flight to Hawaii.

Last edited by cmyden; 06-23-2011 at 05:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #1934
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
Quick question

Air Canada doesn't have a First Class, just "Executive First" which is a business class, so you pay business class points. Some of the other star alliance airlines have economy, business, and first class, like United and Lufthansa. If you're going to Hawaii, none of the airlines offer 3 class service from North America, so there is absolutely no difference.

If you're using your aeroplan points, it might be worth flying united or US Air through the US. The extra cost for taxes and fees will be much less, and you can probably get a one stop flight anyway.

PS Air Canada only flies their old business class to HNL, so you wouldn't get the pods anyway, just a bit of extra legroom, so probably not worth it.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #1935
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some press from the Calgary Herald on our very own cmyden: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...781/story.html
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #1936
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Some press from the Calgary Herald on our very own cmyden: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...781/story.html
Lol, yeah, out of all the great advice I gave during the interview I'm not sure how 'booking ahead on major airlines' became my '#1 tip'.

I did try to explain that giving a one or two sentence answer for general overall advice when it comes to travel prices is impossible, so I guess that's what they boiled it down to.

The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #1937
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I did try to explain that giving a one or two sentence answer for general overall advice when it comes to travel prices is impossible, so I guess that's what they boiled it down to.
No doubt... Its more a skill set. lol.

I choked when I read that chick spent $10k on a 5 week trip... Not alone, her and her friends all spent 10k...
Old 06-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #1938
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, yeah, out of all the great advice I gave during the interview I'm not sure how 'booking ahead on major airlines' became my '#1 tip'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Thats some groundbreaking advice there Chris. haha
To be fair, you can usually get much better deals booking your flight before departure than after the plane is in the air.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #1939
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be fair, you can usually get much better deals booking your flight before departure than after the plane is in the air.
Maybe a new extreme sport. Like wakeboarding, but with aircraft instead of boats.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #1940
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

July 10-17 from Calgary to Frankfurt, Germany is down to $599 roundtrip after tax. Can see it on Air Transat's site.