Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #61
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

^^^
We just elected a devil or anti-christ, if you will? The commenters over at the calgary sun were right?! Isn't that the second sign of the end times?
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #62
bizaro86
#1 Goaltender
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanzania
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #63
bizaro86
#1 Goaltender
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Naheed is definitely not openly gay. If he is gay, he definitely isn't open about it. Why should it really matter anyways? Its about the city and his vision instead of his sexuality.
I didn't ask if he was gay, although he does seem like a really happy kind of guy. I also didn't ask if it should or shouldn't matter, although in my view sexual orientation isn't relevant to debates over transit.

Do you think it WOULD have mattered? Calgary elected an openly Muslim mayor. Would we have elected an openly gay mayor?

What about if McIver or Higgins had "come out of the closet." McIver's married, I think, but would Nenshi's voters be likely more tolerant of a gay candidate?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #64
algernon
Lifetime Suspension
 
algernon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Removed by Mod
Exp:
Default

Right on. At least he's not from Pakistan. I am serious, as now I can ridicule the people that call him that certain all-encompassing term to describe him. Around Calgary, it's not cool to be racist against black people, but pretty prevalent to be so towards brown people.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #65
The Yen Man
Franchise Player
 
The Yen Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I didn't ask if he was gay, although he does seem like a really happy kind of guy. I also didn't ask if it should or shouldn't matter, although in my view sexual orientation isn't relevant to debates over transit.

Do you think it WOULD have mattered? Calgary elected an openly Muslim mayor. Would we have elected an openly gay mayor?

What about if McIver or Higgins had "come out of the closet." McIver's married, I think, but would Nenshi's voters be likely more tolerant of a gay candidate?
I understand what you're saying. Sexual orientation shouldn't matter when it comes to politics. I myself would have voted Nenshi regardless of whether or not he is gay. But sadly, I don't have as much faith in a significant portion of the people who voted for him to think the same (especially some of the older, more conservative group). I think it would definitely have affected his numbers if he was openly gay.

But the bright side is, as the younger generation that has been brought up in a more tolerant time grows up, this should become less and less of a factor.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #66
Joborule
Franchise Player
 
Joborule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernon View Post
Right on. At least he's not from Pakistan. I am serious, as now I can ridicule the people that call him that certain all-encompassing term to describe him. Around Calgary, it's not cool to be racist against black people, but pretty prevalent to be so towards brown people.
It's because we got guns.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #67
peter12
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Exp:
Default

These sorts of articles are so offensive. I always knew Calgary was a great, sophisticated locale. I do not need a bunch of hack journalists telling me that it is so.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #68
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster
 
Mazrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Gary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
but among the circus freaks there was but one flower

I'm out of thanks, but I also have to say that she somehow made it bareable. Kind of like the voice of reason in a storm of insanity, and easy on the eyes too.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #69
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback
 
onetwo_threefour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mahogany, aka halfway to Lethbridge
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Did the caller say if it was the NWO 'Black and White' or 'Red and Black'?
Wolfpack... Viva la Raza!
__________________
onetwo and threefour... Together no more. The end of an era. Let's rebuild...
onetwo_threefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #70
4X4
One of the Nine
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I understand what you're saying. Sexual orientation shouldn't matter when it comes to politics. I myself would have voted Nenshi regardless of whether or not he is gay. But sadly, I don't have as much faith in a significant portion of the people who voted for him to think the same (especially some of the older, more conservative group). I think it would definitely have affected his numbers if he was openly gay.

But the bright side is, as the younger generation that has been brought up in a more tolerant time grows up, this should become less and less of a factor.
So all the bigoted old whities in this town managed to get over the fact that he's brown, and the fact that he's muslim, but the gay thing would have been too much? I don't buy it.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #71
The Yen Man
Franchise Player
 
The Yen Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
So all the bigoted old whities in this town managed to get over the fact that he's brown, and the fact that he's muslim, but the gay thing would have been too much? I don't buy it.
Not just talking about "bigoted old whities" in this case. I personally know several Chinese people who have no problem with race, but are not accepting of gay people.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #72
GirlySports
Franchise Player
 
GirlySports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

How is this relevant?

Would Barb have gotten as many votes or less votes because she's a woman?

I know alot of women at my workplace who voted for her just because she was a woman and alot of guys who didn't because she was a woman.

Sexism exists just as much as racism or homophobia.
__________________
Watching the Oilers defend is like watching fire engines frantically rushing to the wrong fire

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #73
pylon
NOT Chris Butler
 
pylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vote Threeve!
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
So all the bigoted old whities in this town managed to get over the fact that he's brown, and the fact that he's muslim, but the gay thing would have been too much? I don't buy it.
I think the rationale behind it is that you cannot choose what ethnicity or religion you are born into. However a lot of older people, believe that homosexuality is some perverse, degenerate choice people make in their lives. Eventually that mentality will purge itself out of society as the older generations die off.

However, isn't homosexuality pretty much considered one of the absolute worst things in Muslim culture? I don't know enough about it to comment, but that is my perception based on what I have seen and heard in news media. How would that have affected his vote amoung the local Muslim community if it were to be true? Maybe someone with a better understanding could answer that.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #74
FlameOn
#1 Goaltender
 
FlameOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I think the rationale behind it is that you cannot choose what ethnicity or religion you are born into. However a lot of older people, believe that homosexuality is some perverse, degenerate choice people make in their lives. Eventually that mentality will purge itself out of society as the older generations die off.

However, isn't homosexuality pretty much considered one of the absolute worst things in Muslim culture? I don't know enough about it to comment, but that is my perception based on what I have seen and heard in news media. How would that have affected his vote amoung the local Muslim community if it were to be true? Maybe someone with a better understanding could answer that.
This and apostasy are considered two of the worse things. So if you become gay or convert to Christianity or Atheism for example lots of Islamic countries have death sentences for both.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy_in_Islam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_ri...n_Saudi_Arabia

Current example. Prince that is guilty raping and killing his man servant in the UK may get executed in Saudi Arabia if he goes home regardless of if he killed the guy.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #75
Komskies
Franchise Player
 
Komskies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Was he cast out of the jungle with no rations or canteen for selling faulty rifles to the thieves in Tanzania?
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #76
Komskies
Franchise Player
 
Komskies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

double post

Last edited by Komskies; 10-20-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #77
Komskies
Franchise Player
 
Komskies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

triple post

server lag i think, maybe the flames made a trade
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #78
J pold
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2004
Exp:
Default

Double post+1?
__________________
Looking for office space in Calgary? Check out my Calgary commercial real estate thread: here

My LinkedIn Profile
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #79
SebC
tromboner
 
SebC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: where the lattes are
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
How is this relevant?

Would Barb have gotten as many votes or less votes because she's a woman?

I know alot of women at my workplace who voted for her just because she was a woman and alot of guys who didn't because she was a woman.

Sexism exists just as much as racism or homophobia.
Hate to say this, but I believe if Barb was male she would have been lower.

If we really want to look in the mirror, we could analyze why Nenshi didn't receive a proportionate amount of support in the (brown) Northeast. I'm not saying it should be higher there, but it's odd that it isn't about equal. It seems that the place where race may have hurt him is within his own community. There are few theories that have been put out: perhaps they didn't think the rest of the city would elect one of their own (well, we showed them!), perhaps support was siphoned off by Alnoor (who endorsed Higgins). We also know that people with a high school degree showed higher support for Higgins, so it could just be that. (I don't know, however, what the education levels of Ward 10 are, but I assume that they're lower than around the universities for example).
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #80
frege64
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Exp:
Default

Naheed is absolutely not gay. He is absolutely a brilliant, geeky nerd, and an unmarried one, so there's that. Gays and nerds are closely-related species.

He IS absolutely supportive of the gay community- I marched with him and Team Nenshi at Gay Pride and he was awesome. Among the other candidates were Higgins and Hehr.
frege64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frege64 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016