Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #101
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
They're not garbage games and garbage movies. They're games and movies.

They are garbage because the fiction is garbage. MW2 is so over the top stupid it's hard to gain any satisfaction from the game at all outside the graphics.

MW1 had a much better story, that was at least somewhat believable/plausible
Old 08-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #102
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
They are garbage because the fiction is garbage. MW2 is so over the top stupid it's hard to gain any satisfaction from the game at all outside the graphics.

MW1 had a much better story, that was at least somewhat believable/plausible
Who plays a shooter like Modern Warfare for the story? Seriously? It's like going into a James Bond film for the plot and character development.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #103
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Who plays a shooter like Modern Warfare for the story? Seriously? It's like going into a James Bond film for the plot and character development.
I do, or at least a really good story can contribute significantly to the quality of the game. MW1 was great for that reason, and the other ones are equally forgettable.

A story is one of the things that separates an excellent game from just a me-too wannabe.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #104
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another one while Harper is in the Arctic:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/...-airspace.html

Quote:
Two CF-18s shadowed a pair of Russian military aircraft Tuesday as they flew within 56 kilometres of Canadian soil.
The Prime Minister's Office says the TU-95 Bear aircraft were spotted approximately 220 kilometres north of Inuvik, N.W.T.
The CF-18 jets from 4 Wing Cold Lake, Alta., shadowed the Russians until both aircraft turned around.
The Canadian aircraft returned to base without incident.
A PMO statement early Wednesday said that because of the rapid response, "at no time did the Russian aircraft enter sovereign Canadian airspace."
Spokesman Dimitri Soudas said Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who is in the Canadian North for his annual Arctic tour, was briefed during and at the end of the mission.
I don't understand how we can have a rapid response from Cold Lake. If this is 220km north of Inuvik, and the distance from Colk Lake to Inuvik is something like 3,000km, that means the planes need to fly 3,220km to intercept.

Max speed of CF-18 is 1,800km/hr, that's an hour and 45 minutes to intercept at full throttle, which I don't think they could do. 1 hour and 45 minutes doesn't exactly seem rapid.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #105
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
Even more, more trivia, Capt. Erickson has been a naughty girl lately . . .
Not the naughty links I was anticipating.....
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #106
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should be very careful. You know what happened in Modern Warfare 2

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #107
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Another one while Harper is in the Arctic:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/...-airspace.html

I don't understand how we can have a rapid response from Cold Lake. If this is 220km north of Inuvik, and the distance from Colk Lake to Inuvik is something like 3,000km, that means the planes need to fly 3,220km to intercept.

Max speed of CF-18 is 1,800km/hr, that's an hour and 45 minutes to intercept at full throttle, which I don't think they could do. 1 hour and 45 minutes doesn't exactly seem rapid.
Wouldn't there always be a patrol in the air? Maybe CC can enlighten us...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #108
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Completely sidebar but sort of related . . . .

Someone who HAS intercepted a Russian Bear bomber over the high Arctic, Capt. Riel Erickson of Millarville, pictured below. She was playing the good sport for us on the weekend at the 103rd Annual Priddis & Millarville Fair. She's been serving as one of the public villians in the Millie The Massey controversy that earned front page coverage in the local weekly papers, a CBC Calgary Eyeopener piece, a story in the Calgary Herald, a spot on Global TV news and the involvement of the internationally syndicated TV series "Heartland" . . . .

The Fair's unlikely raffle of a rusting but functional 1950 Massey Harris 44 tractor, with the winning ticket drawn in front of a crowd of several hundred on Saturday, raised $10,000 for the Fair and the Alberta Farm Safety Centre.

Capt. Erickson, who was featured on the Discovery Channel show "Jetstream" as she went through the fighter pilot training process, explains to local media her original and quite sincere wish to win the tractor and use it for target practice at CFB Cold Lake . . . .

. . . . . and finally gets the chance to perch on her quarry. She didn't win. The ultimate winner of the raffle will hand it over to "Heartland" for use as a set prop in an uncoming episode and then they'll donate it back to the Fair. Driving an F-18 Hornet is probably a little more complicated than driving Millie.

Thanks in part to Capt Erickson and the unlikely Millie publicity, a century-old Fair that had been cancelled in April set a record for entries and nearly tripled it's normal attendance.

Capt. Erickson intercepting a Bear in 2007.

Cowperson
Old 08-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #109
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If the Prime Minister is in the area, there's probably no question that they have some kind of cap up and in the vicinity.

Their are still active elements of the DEW system in operation and they can usually detect bombers long before they hit Canadian Territory.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #110
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
Completely sidebar but sort of related . . . .

Someone who HAS intercepted a Russian Bear bomber over the high Arctic, Capt. Riel Erickson of Millarville, pictured below. She was playing the good sport for us on the weekend at the 103rd Annual Priddis & Millarville Fair. She's been serving as one of the public villians in the Millie The Massey controversy that earned front page coverage in the local weekly papers, a CBC Calgary Eyeopener piece, a story in the Calgary Herald, a spot on Global TV news and the involvement of the internationally syndicated TV series "Heartland" . . . .

The Fair's unlikely raffle of a rusting but functional 1950 Massey Harris 44 tractor, with the winning ticket drawn in front of a crowd of several hundred on Saturday, raised $10,000 for the Fair and the Alberta Farm Safety Centre.

Capt. Erickson, who was featured on the Discovery Channel show "Jetstream" as she went through the fighter pilot training process, explains to local media her original and quite sincere wish to win the tractor and use it for target practice at CFB Cold Lake . . . .

. . . . . and finally gets the chance to perch on her quarry. She didn't win. The ultimate winner of the raffle will hand it over to "Heartland" for use as a set prop in an uncoming episode and then they'll donate it back to the Fair. Driving an F-18 Hornet is probably a little more complicated than driving Millie.

Thanks in part to Capt Erickson and the unlikely Millie publicity, a century-old Fair that had been cancelled in April set a record for entries and nearly tripled it's normal attendance.

Capt. Erickson intercepting a Bear in 2007.

Cowperson
she did gain a lot of notority on the Jet Steam program considering that she was a mere mission away from failing twice.

Once because of a near fatal formation landing, and the second time because he did a terrible job in air to air combat training where she didn't even get a shot off.

She rallied nicely though and by all accounts is an extremely good fighter pilot and considered a rising star in the air force community.

I thought her promotion of the fair and threat to bomb the tractor out of existance was awesome and well done.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #111
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cpt. Erickson isn't too bad on the eyes. I wouldn't mind be trapped in a Russian Gulag with her.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #112
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Life after Jetstream for the graduates

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...Jetstream-quot

Woman in aviation

Boing

http://www.patricksaviation.com/forums/?t=1283&p=1

Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #113
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

FYI . . . . the smiling gentleman with the white shirt around his neck in the background of the first picture, is retired Major David Kendall, one of the two CF-18 pilots who fired on an Iraqi gunboat in the first Gulf War.

http://www.richthistle.com/aviation-...n-the-gulf-war

He and Capt. Erickson are related. There is a third former pilot in the family line as well.

Cowperson
Old 08-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #114
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Wouldn't there always be a patrol in the air? Maybe CC can enlighten us...
No, but there are q's in Yellowknife, not sure if any 18's are deployed there right now. In the past there were always jets deployed for this kind of thing.

These guys could easily come from Cold Lake, intercept and then land in Inuvik for fuel. They wouldn't be able to do the round trip, and they wouldn't be able to go full burner on the intercept, but they can make pretty good time while conserving. If they start in Yellowknife they can go full on to intercept and land in Inuvik.

Helps if you have air to air available but I don't think they are doing that right now. Things have been pretty tame for years, but with these fishing trips being more frequent maybe the assets are being allocated.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #115
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
No, but there are q's in Yellowknife, not sure if any 18's are deployed there right now. In the past there were always jets deployed for this kind of thing.

These guys could easily come from Cold Lake, intercept and then land in Inuvik for fuel. They wouldn't be able to do the round trip, and they wouldn't be able to go full burner on the intercept, but they can make pretty good time while conserving. If they start in Yellowknife they can go full on to intercept and land in Inuvik.

Helps if you have air to air available but I don't think they are doing that right now. Things have been pretty tame for years, but with these fishing trips being more frequent maybe the assets are being allocated.
I would agree with this, but I'm still sure that they had the f-18's patrolling for the Prime Ministers missions. Or closly available.

I might be wrong, but the Canadian Forces depends on the American's to provide Air to Air refueling for the most part.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #116
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would agree with this, but I'm still sure that they had the f-18's patrolling for the Prime Ministers missions. Or closly available.
Good point, all the more reason to have planes deployed in Yellowknife .
Quote:
I might be wrong, but the Canadian Forces depends on the American's to provide Air to Air refueling for the most part.
We do have the herc's but I don't have a clue what they are up to these days. The americans have so many assets compared to us, but unless there is a lot of activity there wouldn't be many in the sky in the north. Us or them.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #117
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Canada used to have air to air refueling using I thing the Boeing C-137, but they retired it, they don't mention Herc's with air to air on the forces site.

I could be wrong though.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #118
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

The pods on the ends are the refueling lines, retracted in this pic.

Canada can also use the Airbus. It's been a long time for me so I don't know what our current capability is.

Air to air is only good if the fueler is in place prior to the mission, and we don't have them flying over the artic 24/7.

Last edited by speede5; 08-25-2010 at 01:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #119
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 of our 130s were used as refueling planes but I can't tell if they are still in use. The old 130s are being replaced starting this year with a newer model.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #120
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Funny, I was supposed to be helping with a Sar-ex today, they were going to come find us with a Herc and drop a couple Sar techs to us but their plane broke. If they come tomorrow I'll ask about the air to air.
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post: