Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #181
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

I like putting some hot sauce in my turkey burgers before grilling them, that with some lime juice has been a killer combination for me.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #182
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

have you ever tried STUFFED BURGERS???

these are AMAZING....

chop up a bunch of bacon and fry it up

shred/dice up your favorite cheese

take extra lean ground beef and add a crap load of spices - i generally use:
- seasoning salt
- montreal steak spice
- worcestershire sauce
- fresh diced garlic
- dehydrated onions
- parsley
- hp sauce

Mix beef and spices together and make a bunch of really thin patties (I generally go with about a 3oz/patty – and find putting them on waxed paper works really well)

Take a patty and add some bacon and cheese on top, then cover it with a second patty. Pinch the edges together and bbq them up!

If you really want to take them to the next level you can fry up some mushrooms and add that on top of the burger once you’ve flipped it… also add more cheese if you like… ohhhh… I can feel my arteries clogging already!

…and using my flames grille adds a nice touch… especially when ‘nuck fans come over!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #183
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Awesome Flames Grill!

I made stuffed burgers earlier this year and they weren't as good as I expected. I could blame the cook, but I'd prefer to say it wasn't my fault at all!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #184
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nice grill, automatic crosshatch patern, custom stainless burner too ?
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #185
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ it's just a bbq that uses a natural gas burner

the grill is 1/4" thick stainless steel - i love it!

the auto crosshatch pattern is nice, except it's tough to keep clean
Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #186
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
^ it's just a bbq that uses a natural gas burner

the grill is 1/4" thick stainless steel - i love it!

the auto crosshatch pattern is nice, except it's tough to keep clean

May I ask where one might get one of these grills? do you make them? I know a few people out in BC that would love them for christmas gifts. Flames fans of course, but they'd be cooking for Nuckleheads.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #187
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ a good friend of mine owns a metal working company - he and i trade work back and forth all the time

i told him my idea of a flames grill and he just went with it

he sourced the stainless steel, then took it to a local guy (kelowna) that has a watercutter.

he then cleaned it all up, smoothed out the edges and made it fit perfectly into my bbq.

i'm not sure what the total cost was... but i think it came in around $300

i'm sure you could take a pic of this to a local metal-shop and get a price

.... and yes - it is just GLORIOUS when cooking for 'nuck fans... i make sure their food has the flaming c... and it disgusts them!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #188
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got a Big Green Egg a couple of weeks ago. Really liking it so far.

yesterdays supper for the family.

Bought a whole chicken and butterflied it. Had never done it before but watched a quick 2 minute video on youtube and it was a snap.

Put Garlic butter under the skin and rubbed over the whole thing. Seasoned with Sea Salt, pepper and a bunch of other spices while the Egg was warming up. Once temp was to 350 fired on the Chicken Skin side down and left it for 20 minutes.

After 20 min flipped it over and had a peek,

Looking good so far:

Closed it back down and left for another 20 minutes until temp of the chicken was up to temp. Took the Chicken off to rest and fired on some peppers and mushrooms:

End result: Nothing too fancy but it was very moist and delicious. not bad for my first real attempt besides steak on the egg. Can't wait to keep on trying more and more things.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #189
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No flare ups ? I always use a sheet pan to catch the drippings, I did thighs before the game last night. I got 17 thighs for $10 @ Sobey's.

(Wood chips in the back)

Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #190
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Here's one of my recipes I use for chicken skewers. Always a big hit, give it a try.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - 2.5 lbs usually feeds about 5 people if you also have other things like steaks as well. Makes around 15 skewers with 2-3 pieces of chicken on each.

Skewer veggies - I like red/yellow/green peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchinni, onions

- Cut breasts into skewer sized pieces
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp cayenne
- 6 cloves of garlic, lightly smashed and chopped
- 6 juicy limes < this is key!!
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- mix ingredients together and marinate chicken in baggie in fridge before grilling. I've marinated for as little as 1 hour and it's still great.

The key here is the lime as it gives a nice citrus punch to the chicken that goes nicely with the heat of the paprika and cayenne. I also lightly season my skewer veggies too with olive oil, salt and pepper.
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #191
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...ing+Window.jsp

Smokers on sale at Canadian Tire. Apparently this unit is pretty solid.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #192
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Chicken is done. 1 hr. total time

Last edited by Pinner; 06-02-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #193
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need "New Barbecue" advice.

Where is a good place to buy a barbecue?

And by "barbecue" I mean "barbecue that costs less than 500 bucks and will hook up to the gas line coming out of the wall of the house".

This would be the first one I've ever bought and I don't know anything. All I need is a barbecue that can cook burgers and steaks and pieces of chicken. I don't need all that stuff like optional side burners and condiment shelves. I don't even need a rotisserie (though I'm guessing I'll get one no matter what).

And even with all that crap about just wanting the basics, I still don't want to go to Crappy Tire or Costco because I'd like to talk to someone who has at least a passing knowledge of the thing they are selling. Is this possible?

Also, can someone explain this to me:

"Porcelain cast iron WAVE™ reversible channel cooking grids to keep food moist while cooking"

So, are the cooking channel grids porcelain, or are they cast iron?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #194
Sly
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is it true that charcoal > gas?
Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #195
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
And by "barbecue" I mean "barbecue that costs less than 500 bucks and will hook up to the gas line coming out of the wall of the house".
Why not propane?

Do you have a quick connection for natural gas ?

Here's one on sale. Doesn't sound like you will be using it alot so a cheap one should be good enough.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 06-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #196
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
Why not propane?

Do you have a quick connection for natural gas ?

Here's one on sale. Doesn't sound like you will be using it alot so a cheap one should be good enough.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/2/BBQsAccessories/NaturalGasBBQs/PRDOVR~0853101P/Master%252BChef%252BT480%252BNatural%252BGas%252BB BQ.jsp?locale=en
Thanks. That looks about right, but I'm leery of Canadian Tire because I'm an adult of limited intellectual abilities and I want to be able to talk to someone who knows a thing or two about barbecues, specifically putting them together.

The downside of that is that because of those same intellectual disadvantages, a real barbecue salesman might be able to talk me into something that I don't really need.

Like I don't want to end up saying something like "ya know, you are right. Maybe one day I will need to roast a python. I'll take the long one".

Bah. All this hemming and hawing won't get me any closer to delicious seared flesh. Has anyone bought a barbecue at Barbecues Galore?

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/cookin...?CookingID=134

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #197
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Thanks. That looks about right, but I'm leery of Canadian Tire because I'm an adult of limited intellectual abilities and I want to be able to talk to someone who knows a thing or two about barbecues, specifically putting them together.

The downside of that is that because of those same intellectual disadvantages, a real barbecue salesman might be able to talk me into something that I don't really need.

Like I don't want to end up saying something like "ya know, you are right. Maybe one day I will need to roast a python. I'll take the long one".

Bah. All this hemming and hawing won't get me any closer to delicious seared flesh. Has anyone bought a barbecue at Barbecues Galore?

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/cookin...?CookingID=134
I have that very same Broil King out at my cabin. I have the propane version, but it works really well. On mine the tank is stored behind those stainless doors underneath the grill, but I assume on the nat. gas model it would just be extra storage. You could keep your wood chips and bbq brush etc. down there. Overall a good bbq. Plus, it's a Canadian company.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #198
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would agree, that's a nice Q, quit wasting time the days are getting shorter in two weeks
Old 06-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #199
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

I like my Broil King, it's good enough for us certainly, and even for a decent-sized gathering. I think it was about $300-350 at Rona a couple summers ago.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #200
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
Is it true that charcoal > gas?
Absolutely.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber