Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #181
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Table salt has iodine in it, and usually some sort of filler to keep it from clumping.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #182
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a lot of corn and tomatoes right now from my garden. This is one of my favorite recipes to use those two ingredients.

Grilled Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad

Salad Ingredients:
1 pint grape tomatoes, or equivalent in firm diced tomatoes
1 large ripe avocado
2 large ears of fresh sweet corn, husked
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped

Put the corn cobs in a skillet with 1 tsp oil over medium heat. Cook and turn for 10 minutes or until golden spots appear. Cool and cut the corn kernels off the cob. If using frozen kernel corn, thaw and sauté in 1 tsp oil until partially cooked and a bit golden in color. Halve the tomatoes. Peel and dice the avocado. Chop the cilantro.

Honey Lime Dressing:
Juice of 1 large lime
3 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp honey
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
1 clove garlic, finely minced
Dash or two of cayenne pepper

Whisk to combine all the dressing ingredients. Put the prepared vegetables in an appropriate sized bowl. Pour the honey lime dressing over the vegetables and mix gently until evenly coated. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Be careful not to mash the avocados when mixing. Cover and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle.

Last edited by redforever; 04-25-2010 at 02:37 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #183
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I have had an unreal amount of beans from my garden, both yellow and green. They are delicious just blanched, I have pickled a lot of them, and then for a change, I make this recipe. So easy and simple to make, few ingredients, great taste. You can make this with either green or yellow beans, or sugar snap peas.

Beans with Feta Cheese and Dill

1 pound or 500 grams fresh beans
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp minced shallot or mild onion
1 clove garlic, finely minced
6 Tbsp oil
1/4 tsp sugar
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
1/3 red onion, sliced lengthwise and very thinly
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped

1 In a small bowl add the chopped shallot and minced garlic along with the red wine vinegar, oil and sugar. Whisk well and set aside to let the flavors mingle.

2 Trim the stem end of the green beans. Either leave the beans whole or cut them into even lengths, whichever you prefer. Place in a pot of boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Test the beans to see if they are tender but still crisp. Drain and place in ice cold water to stop them from further cooking and to keep them bright green. When completely cool, drain well and place in a bowl. Note: If using sugar snap peas, do not blanch as long as for beans.

3 Add the sliced onion, fresh dill and salad dressing. Toss until evenly coated. Add freshly ground salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate for an hour.

4 Before serving, adjust taste for salt and pepper if necessary. To serve, place beans in a flat serving dish and sprinkle feta cheese over the top.

Last edited by redforever; 09-24-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #184
Playfair's Hairgel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

marinate a steak in plain yogurt with salt, pepper and some red chilli powder and add some lime to it.

let it sit over night in the fridge and than either bbq it or steak it..

and you have heaven

In the words of Ron Burgandy
"I am going to punch you rite in the baby maker, a shot right to the ovaries"
Playfair's Hairgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #185
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I bought a deepfryer a few weeks ago. Tons of fun! Homemade french fries are fantastic. I tried making deep fried Snickers bar and while the bottom coating stuck to the bottom of my basket, they were still pretty tasty.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #186
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Question for you Pros:

I have been using "sea salt" to cook with because I heard Iodized was sub-par and maybe even harmful.

The sea salt I've been using comes in a disposable bottle with the grinder built in.

But where can I buy sea salt in a bag? (like sugar) in bulk?

I've seen "kosher salt" for sale at the grocery store in a bag,,,,,is that the same as sea salt?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would dearly love to NOT be dependant on these disposable grinders.

And do I need to buy another pepper Mill for the sea salt?
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #187
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanolic View Post
Question for you Pros:

I have been using "sea salt" to cook with because I heard Iodized was sub-par and maybe even harmful.

The sea salt I've been using comes in a disposable bottle with the grinder built in.

I've seen "kosher salt" for sale at the grocery store in a bag,,,,,is that the same as sea salt?

Kosher salt usually implies organic so should not be iodized. You can buy small bags at Kitchen Specialty stores like Happy Cookers. Usually Superstore carries bags, although not as big as bags of sugar.

Some sea salt is iodized as well, read your labels. You can buy coarse pickling salt in bags, not quite as chunky though, but it can be put in a salt grinder too.

I believe that pepper mills and salt mills have different grinder mechanisms, but don't quote me on that.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #188
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanolic View Post
Question for you Pros:

Costco sells sea salt in 1L jugs, but it is preground. And, really, when it comes to salt, I really don't know what the benefit of the grinder is. (Unlike, pepper, which stays fresher if you leave it as peppercorns and grind it fresh.)
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #189
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ninja View Post
Costco sells sea salt in 1L jugs, but it is preground. And, really, when it comes to salt, I really don't know what the benefit of the grinder is. (Unlike, pepper, which stays fresher if you leave it as peppercorns and grind it fresh.)
You can set the grinder to the fineness that you wish and thus, you are able to get better control over the amounts you use.

And, sometimes you want a coarser grind, like on top of pretzels, on top of steaks etc.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #190
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

OK Great.

I've seen the bags of "kosher salt" at super store, so that's what I'll go for I guess.

The issue of the "salt grinder" has now opened a can of worms, I'm thinking I will take some advice from you guys, I'll just get another pepper mill.....different (obviously) from my current pepper mill, and I'll put the kosher salt in it and adjust the grinder (coarse/fine) to what ever the situation requires!!

Thanks very much!!!

.....again, CP rivals freakin' Google!!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #191
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't really understand the need to grind your salt. If it doesn't dissolve in what you're cooking, you're using too much.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #192
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
I don't really understand the need to grind your salt. If it doesn't dissolve in what you're cooking, you're using too much.

Salads, Pasta, Grilled Meat, Etc.... It's nice to be able to choose how fine or coarse you apply the salt.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #193
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the salt conversation:

I use sea salt, seasoning salt, and garlic salt through cooking.

Maldon salt (huge crystals that you break up in your hands with a pinch) for any finishings. Salads, meat, anything that is done cookin and on your place that needs salt.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #194
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Given our cold weather, here's a fantastic Borcht recipe:
Take a medium sized steak, use a cheap one since it will be getting boiled. Put steak in a deep pot and fill pot with water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer the stock for 1.5-2 hours, making sure to skim off the scum. You can cook for longer to get an even tastier stock, but I've found that a few hours is sufficient.

You'll need the following:
4 cloves of garlic, 1 medium onion, 3 beets, 1/3-1/2 head of cabbage, whatever other veggies are in your fridge. I like to use peppers, carrots, celery. The key is the soup should have the consistency somewhere between a regular soup and a stew so use that as a guideline for how much veggies to put in.

Mince the garlic, chop the onions. Add some oil to a pan and bring to a medium-high heat. Add garlic onions and some salt. When the onions have browned add peeled and sliced beets and other veggies except for the cabbage. Cover and cook on medium for 5-10 minutes. Chop up the cabbage.
Remove steak from stock and add all veggies and cabbage. Add several stalks of dill and season to taste. Cook until cabbage and veggies are tender. Dice up the steak and add to the soup. Enjoy plain or with sour creme and like all soups, tastes much better the next day.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #195
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

Borscht requires no meat! It's vegetable soup. My grandmother would kill you if she saw that haha.

Love borscht, but holy crap does it ever scare me when I take a leak the next day. Especially when I forget that I ate such food haha.

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #196
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger_4_ View Post
Borscht requires no meat! It's vegetable soup. My grandmother would kill you if she saw that haha.

Love borscht, but holy crap does it ever scare me when I take a leak the next day. Especially when I forget that I ate such food haha.
Russian borscht almost always has meat. But like the old saying goes, every kitchen has it's own borscht.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #197
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh those Russians.

It's all about the Uke food! Damn Commies kept all the meat for themselves, while we had to struggle with beets and potatoes!

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Berger_4_ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #198
BuzzardsWife
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower View Post
Though we could see the cooking prowess of the CP community. From things like keeping food longer and tasty cooking ideas.

I don't know about you but I really get annoyed when my popcorn seeds only pop 50/70 percent of the time.

Try soaking your seeds 5 to 10 minutes before popping them.

Also wrap your celery in Tin Foil and it will remain crisp for much longer.

Anyone have a good way to cook pork tenderloin?
I have a delicious recipe for pork tenderloin and its very low fat:
rub a bit of oil on meat..roll in thyme and salt and pepper, squeeze fresh lemon all over it and wrap in foil..bbq for 1/2 hour
Old 10-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #199
BuzzardsWife
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
Russian borscht almost always has meat. But like the old saying goes, every kitchen has it's own borscht.
my Polish born gramma always made the soup base with a ham bone and her borscht had little bits of ham in it..and sour cream of course.yum..you can buy a really good bottled borscht at Polcan Meats on Fairmont dr.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #200
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In Russia, Borscht eats you.
SteveToms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking , food , kitchen