Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Burke sounds off on HEAT

http://www2.canada.com/abbotsfordtim...1-0276b20092c2

good publicity as the writer points out
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Despite all of his incoherent rambling, Burke is very clearly scared of the impact the Heat would have on the Bruins. If he was confident in Chilliwack's ability to sustain the WHL, he wouldn't be so flustered by the move.

That said, I have no clue what he is complaining about. If Swift Current, Cranbrook, and Moose Jaw can make a go of it, Chilliwack - with a city population equal to those three cities combined, certainly can. If the Bruins fail, I'd look to the ownership for the reason, and that includes Burke.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's time for the lower mainland to show that they are a hockey area..I agree with above I see no reason why both teams cannot survive
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Orv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Suck it up, buttercup.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think in some respects this goes beyond the Flames putting a team near one he is involved with. I know he wanted and tried to get a western-based AHL team when he was the GM in Anaheim. He wasn't happy about it as you can imagine. He was told that if they could establish a western division, it could become a possibility. So for him to now see a team so far west, be it Canada or the States it doesn't matter, I'm sure it sticks in his craw pretty bad.
Eddie Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
C.F
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
It's time for the lower mainland to show that they are a hockey area..I agree with above I see no reason why both teams cannot survive
LOL. The lower mainland doesn't need to show you anything. Like every else in Canada, it is a hockey area. It's not debatable.
C.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.F View Post
LOL. The lower mainland doesn't need to show you anything. Like every else in Canada, it is a hockey area. It's not debatable.
I don't think every where else in Canada is a hockey area. Case in point the Marlies struggle in the shadow of the Leafs. Toronto is a Leafs area not a hockey area.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
C.F
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I don't think every where else in Canada is a hockey area. Case in point the Marlies struggle in the shadow of the Leafs. Toronto is a Leafs area not a hockey area.
There's a heck of a lot more to being a hockey area than support for an AHL team. Again, having lived in the Fraser Valley my entire life, I think it's obvious that the Fraser Valley is a hockey market for the simple fact that almost everyone either has an interest in hockey, plays hockey, or has played hockey in the past.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the Giants are one of the best supported franchises in the CHL.
C.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
coldraptors
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Fans are loving it!!! Thanks for the publicity Mr Burke

Link
coldraptors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coldraptors For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.F View Post
There's a heck of a lot more to being a hockey area than support for an AHL team. Again, having lived in the Fraser Valley my entire life, I think it's obvious that the Fraser Valley is a hockey market for the simple fact that almost everyone either has an interest in hockey, plays hockey, or has played hockey in the past.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the Giants are one of the best supported franchises in the CHL.
If it truly is this great hockey area that you say it is, I'm sure people can get over who the Heat are the farm team of. You seem to think that it won't be fully realized because of the association with the Flames. I say if you are right and it is a pure hockey market, the fact that its Mikeal Backlund and not Cody Hodgson won't matter.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2009, 01:27 AM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldraptors View Post
Fans are loving it!!! Thanks for the publicity Mr Burke

Link
That's fantastic to see the throngs of excited Abbotsfordians!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote