Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:
Default Why are A/V receivers so overpriced in Canada? Someone please help me out!

Ive been shopping for a deal on a 5.1 AV receiver for about a month and a bit now but all the models on my consideration list are horribly overpriced in Canada compared to U.S. pricing. Im not looking for a smokin hot deal, Im just looking for a decent deal where I feel im not overpaying a lump some. Even online, theres not many places in Canada!

Im hoping to get one for $500 or less including taxes..

AVR requirements:
-5.1 obviously (dont need 7.1, no use for it as I dont have the space or interest).
-Want to stick with either Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo. Denon would be nice, but obviously out of my price range.
minimum 70w/ channel
-Im getting it solely for true HD/Master-DTS audio. I will be using my PS3 to decode and convert to PCM to the AVR. So getting a true HD AVR is NOT a must for me, but I wouldnt mind paying a bit more for the feature if the right price comes along...just in case I happen to get a standalone Bluray player down the road. And obviously true HD AVRs are much more future proof.

And Ill be running a SVS PB-10 off it (thanks for the great recommendations from you CPers from my other thread awhile back).

the models on my list are (in no order)

TRUE HD
Onkyo TSXR507 - $430 at visions (was the 606 model but cant find any lower than $550 in Canada).
Pioneer VSX-819HK - $400 at best buy

NON HD
Yamaha HTR-6150 - $300 at futureshop.ca. Online only so have to pay $20 extra for shipping.

And I was in Future shop yesterday and happened to notice the Sony STRDG720 on clearance for $240! But Im not a fan of Sony AVRs and heard mixed reviews on this guy.
"Who's that Boston goalies name?...Thomas? Oh ya Thomas Broduer, and who does he play for again? Oh ya Boston, the Boston Hurricanes?" - words from my Idiot bro in law - biggest noob when it comes to hockey.

Last edited by MissKat; 05-31-2009 at 11:04 AM.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The Canadian dollar is up. Buy one from the U.S. online.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=16559819

EDIT: Seriously, though, I agree with the general sentiment in that thread.

I priced it out, and other than a ridiculous sale on a (currently out of stock) Onkyo TX-SR606 from eCOST.com [link], you're basically not going to save money buying from the States very often, if ever. Even in this instance, the currency exchange, taxes, shipping, duty, and other possible fees will add up. Also remember that most e-tailers will not guarantee any warranty on products sold outside their own country (sometimes that's both manufacturer's warranty and seller's warranty out the window). You may or may not be able to add an extended warranty from them for a fee when purchasing out of country. This is just something to ask about and always be wary of. It isn't a big deal to certain consumers, but to others, it can be a deal breaker.

eCOST is a legitimate online store. They have a dedicated "international sales" page that could be worth checking out [link]. Maybe drop them a line with all your info and see what kind of deal they can put together for ya. Couldn't hurt?

Last edited by OBCT; 05-31-2009 at 11:51 PM.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I buy my electronics at Vanns in Kalispell
Onkyo TSXR507 is $344
Pioneer VSX-819HK is $299

No sales Tax in Montana.

Having said that, I drive down quite a bit for weekends, so I avoid duties and taxes coming back into canada. Shipping these things to Canada, you'll pay alot.
millhouse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to millhouse11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
I buy my electronics at Vanns in Kalispell
Onkyo TSXR507 is $344
Pioneer VSX-819HK is $299

No sales Tax in Montana.

Having said that, I drive down quite a bit for weekends, so I avoid duties and taxes coming back into canada. Shipping these things to Canada, you'll pay alot.
Onkyo TSXR507 is $430 at Visions
Pioneer VSX-818HK is $284 at Visions
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I may be in Montana this summer and so I was pricing some stuff out at the Vanns website. Not really worthwhile buying either a Blu Ray player or a digital camera there as they are either cheaper or nearly the same price up here, and you don't have any warranty worries if you buy locally.
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are alot of recievers udner $500 on the BB/FS websites.

I agree we get the royal screw job up here but that is nothing new.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote