Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Blackberry Surgery

My trackball is pissing me off, so I cracked the SOB open to clean it. I kinda figured (with some help from my bro-in-law) that cleaning it would be as simple as cleaning an old school mouse.

I stand corrected. This is f'ing frustrating. I think I have it back in original working condition. But FTR, unless you have tiny tool or else tiny fingers, this is a bitch!
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
My trackball is pissing me off, so I cracked the SOB open to clean it. I kinda figured (with some help from my bro-in-law) that cleaning it would be as simple as cleaning an old school mouse.

I stand corrected. This is f'ing frustrating. I think I have it back in original working condition. But FTR, unless you have tiny tool or else tiny fingers, this is a bitch!
Makes the case for child labour?

I have been wondering about the trackball on mine...but I'm taking the hint that I should just wait until I pony up for an iphone.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

There are four of those little spinny things that aren't even hard connected to the plastic holder. On top of that, either they're magnetic or else my keychain swiss army knife is, so trying to put them in place is a major bitch (I'm using a match)(one of the very few times in my life that being a smoker is an advantage). I haven't succesfully put it back together yet. I thought I did, but I was wrong. Then I phoned someone to whine about it and killed an hour and two beers. Now I still have to fix it and there's no useful info in this thread.

Last edited by 4X4; 02-26-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Not sure if this helps or not but here are some instructions.

LINK
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I've decided that my fingers are too fat. I finally got it put back together but next time I'm going to have the proper tools on hand so that I don't have an aneurysm like I did last night. Maybe I'll go edit my last post and remove that awful phrase....
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I slept on my Blackberry and the keys stopped working. My friend's advice was to "reflow it" by putting it IN MY OVEN.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I slept on my Blackberry and the keys stopped working. My friend's advice was to "reflow it" by putting it IN MY OVEN.
how'd it turn out?
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With respect to the trackball, I took mine apart and put it back together a few times. Eventually the flimsy little metal bit gets bent out of shape. Then I found out that you can order the little trackball assembly on line and just pop out your old one for a new one. I did it in December and it's been working great ever since. I got mine through ebay from some guy in Florida for about $15 plus $7 or $8 shipping. Works great. (All the cleaning in the world won't bring an old trackball back to the state the new trackball gives you.)

Oh, and yes those little magnetic rollers are a pain in the A**

I put it together successfully a couple of times, but it's definitely not as easy, nor does it work as well as just replacing the whole asssembly. Comes with the little silver retaining ring and the trackball is pre-assembled, so no futzing around.

Last edited by onetwo_threefour; 02-26-2009 at 03:34 PM.
onetwo_threefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Bump!

My trackball is beyond terrible. It only scrolls up when it feels like it, and that's not good enough for me. Instead of cleaning it, I just googled to find out where I could buy a trackball and I found an ad on Kijiji from some chick that sells them for $25 for two of them.
I left her a message but it was taking too long for her to call back. I want it right now, not tomorrow or this evening, so I was in the neighbourhood of the Chinook Rogers and I popped in to see if I could buy one there. They were out, but she told me they retail for $59.99!
Sixty bucks for one or $25 for two. Tough choice, eh? Patience won the battle today and now I'm going to meet this chick to get the trackballs for less than half of what those freaking pirates at Rogers were gonna charge.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chick. Two balls. Money changing hands. Impatience.

Nope, false alarm, no joke here, move along.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

lol

i buy all my blackberry parts at www.cnn.cn

find what you want and buy parts at once.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote