Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Help! I think my computer has a virus

I'm pretty sure my computer has a virus. My web browser is Mozilla Firefox and when I surf the web I keep on getting random Internet Explorer windows opening. My computer has been running very slow as a result.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Could be spyware also. Try downloading some programs online and run some scans. Should be sufficient enough to find them. Most of the programs are free... I know AVG is free, AVAST i think is free... I forget what else maybe some others can cue in.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What real-time virus detection program are you running currently?

If you don't use any virus deterrent software, I'd strongly recommend installing one, whether or not you have a virus at the moment. Here are a few good options...

avast!
AVG
Avira AntiVir
A-squared Free

Your problem might not be a virus. If it is more along the lines of adware, spyware, malware, hijacker, then one of these detection/removal programs will prove extremely beneficial...

Ad-Aware (Anniversary Edition)
MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
Spybot - Search & Destroy
SpywareBlaster
Spyware Doctor
Spyware Terminator
Trend Micro Hijack This

For something that does antivirus and antimalware and antispam real-time detection and removal...

ESET Smart Security *only a limited trial version is free

For something that cleans your computer of unnecessary files, junk and clutter (malware, temporary files, cookies, incorrect or unnecessary registry entries, etc.), then these could be helpful [be careful with 'em though, as you don't want to remove anything important accidentally]...

Ace Utilities *only a limited trial version is free
Advanced SystemCare Free
ccleaner
Wise Disk Cleaner

Last edited by OBCT; 05-04-2009 at 09:47 AM.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\/\/\

Good tips as always OBCT!

Everyone with broadband connection should always have at LEAST a software firewall, full time virus scanner and some form of spyware scanner. Hardware firewall is superior (router) but software is better than nothing.

I use Avast! as my virus scanner and Adaware as my spyware scanner. With Adaware the spyware is now a full time scanner, before you had to run it manually.

Windows Defender really blows IMO. It has never found anything.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^^
Thanks for the useful tips. I have tried scanning my computer for spyware and I also use avast as a virus deterrent. Nothing has really worked. My friend is big tech guy so he is going to come and look at it.

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

were you using it to surf mexican internet sites?

sorry, really had nothing to add that hadn't already been said, just felt like being a smartass

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
^^^
Thanks for the useful tips. I have tried scanning my computer for spyware and I also use avast as a virus deterrent. Nothing has really worked. My friend is big tech guy so he is going to come and look at it.

Thanks again guys!
That's good. Let us know what comes of it, if you wouldn't mind.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Imo I'd avoid the free AVG like the plague. Had it on my computer and it didn't catch anything, paid for Stopzilla, instantly it took out like 4 Trojans and some other things, and have had 0 issues since. Malwarebytes is really good for a free one that catches things.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

So, I've got this virus on my computer at work. When I search for it on google, it appears to be the old blaster virus form 6 or 7 years ago, or at least has the very same symptoms. My computer is running Win XP SP3 (sp2 was already supposed to take care of the blaster virus), Panda Internet Security has been running the whole time, except its software firewall, as I have had windows firewall running.

Yesterday afternoon, my computer starting running really slow and shut itself down, sometimes with a message saying it will shut down in 60 seconds.

Any ideas before I chuck my computer out the window?
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
So, I've got this virus on my computer at work. When I search for it on google, it appears to be the old blaster virus form 6 or 7 years ago, or at least has the very same symptoms. My computer is running Win XP SP3 (sp2 was already supposed to take care of the blaster virus), Panda Internet Security has been running the whole time, except its software firewall, as I have had windows firewall running.

Yesterday afternoon, my computer starting running really slow and shut itself down, sometimes with a message saying it will shut down in 60 seconds.

Any ideas before I chuck my computer out the window?
Reload the O/S? It really is the best way to get rid of unwanted software. If you are running it with an O/S that hasn't been reloaded for the past 6-7 yrs, your WAAAY overdue for a fresh install.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Icon56

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Reload the O/S? It really is the best way to get rid of unwanted software. If you are running it with an O/S that hasn't been reloaded for the past 6-7 yrs, your WAAAY overdue for a fresh install.
Unfortunately, this is definitely true. XP is not a horrible operating system, but lots can go on in 7 years. An operating system re-install, or even a clean re-format might be your best bet.

I guess it could be the Blaster Virus, but... it seems unlikely to me. I don't really keep up to tabs on virii (yeah, yeah ), but I doubt something could last that many years and then just suddenly rear it's ugly head now. Maybe it's a new incantation of the same thing? I don't really know.

If you're getting weird symptoms like arbitrary shut downs, though, I would try a couple of good malware/hijacker programs to see if it isn't something of that nature (if you haven't done so already). Do you know for certain that it's a virus? It could be an easy fix with a free app.

If it isn't an easy fix, or you don't feel like trying any of the software I listed in my first post above, then your options are:
  • Switch anti-virus programs and try again;
  • Try a System Restore;
  • Re-install the same version of Windows XP;
  • Upgrade/Install to a newer OS ("Vista" right now, "7" release candidate {kind of like a free beta version - with limitations - of Microsoft's new OS} right now, or the "7" full production version in ~6 months or so)
  • Re-format your disk drives and start brand new on the same machine
  • Any of the above options, in addition to upgrading the hardware on your machine (certainly advisable if you're moving up to Vista or 7; probably wouldn't hurt otherwise)
  • Buy a new computer altogether (get a new, approachingly-outdated XP system now, get a Vista system now (you could later upgrade either of these to 7 if you so desired), or wait and get a new 7 system for Christmas '09.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by OBCT; 05-09-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So my friend came and looked at my computer. We eventually re-installed windows and cleaned the enitre computer. No problems now!

Thanks again for all the help
Old 05-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
It's only been about 10 months since I reloaded the O/S from scratch, and everything was up to date.

Anyway, two different virus scanners found nothing, then I tries out the computer before trying to do anything else, and everything was working fine. So, we'll see I guess.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
Orange
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Anyway, two different virus scanners found nothing, then I tries out the computer before trying to do anything else, and everything was working fine. So, we'll see I guess.
If the problems persist and you do try to do something more about it, first I'd suggest you try out the forums on this site, www.bleepingcomputer.com, which has alot of volunteer tech guys who help to solve problems (be sure to read the instructions on when posting a new topic if you end up doing it, they like to have certain logs and stuff in the first post.)

And while I'm not entirely sure what the best anti-virus product to use, I have Prevx 3.0 (http://www.prevx.com/) which I find is able to detect malware that other detection software hasn't. The only down side is it costs money to get the non-trial version to remove the more malicious files. I've never bought the subscription though, I just run it occasionaly to scan my computer if/when it does find something and wont remove it I just search the internet to find best way to remove it.