Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #21
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyOne View Post
I know people are griping about not making the playoffs but for some reason, I'm not terribly sad about it. With Pardy out (saw him at the game last night and he's looking good!), I think we would have struggled horribly. Now....it's off to Chicago for the game!!
Weren't some of you QC fans saying that Pardy's overrated because his +/- sucks?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #22
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Chucko has been crap at the AHL level. Puustinen hasn't even played at the AHL level. Are you just throwing out names?
From what I've seen/heard/read Chucko has had his ups and down in the AHL level. What have you seen or heard to suggest crap?

If that was true, he would be in the ECHL.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #23
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
From what I've seen/heard/read Chucko has had his ups and down in the AHL level. What have you seen or heard to suggest crap?

If that was true, he would be in the ECHL.
i have seen him play for 22 games this year, and in my eyes, he is one of the worst forwards on the team. i think the guys that have came up from Vegas fare better than he does.

last night he was playing with kolanos which helps, but even as kolanos would give him some great feeds, he would just fumble around with the puck and give it away. (it does pain me to say that, because along with Chucko, Kolanos is the other player on the team i can't stand. but the guy certainly can move the puck. thats why he needs to play with stevenson down here as hes really the only other finisher they have)

to me, he just looks a step (maybe two steps) slow out there.

sebc - i for one like pardy. hes a bulky stay at home defenseman type. i think he makes good decisions and handles the puck well to make up for some of his slowness.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #24
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the people here dislike Ramholt. I like pardy I actually like all of our defenceman
Old 04-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #25
Hoody
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyOne View Post
I certainly hope so. I've noticed continual improvement in his play as he gets more ice time. He's a tough kid. Our rookies have looked very good lately when our vets have kinda fallen into the shadows.

And, as much as I've ragged on him, Sutter has also made drastic improvements. He's contributing now instead of sticking out for making mistakes!!!
We have been talking about Sutter in our section for the last couple of weeks, noticing him more as a play maker, a hustler, and all-around pest than as the guy making all the stupid mistakes on the ice and wondering why he was in the AHL at all, and not back in juniors or the E. He has significantly stepped up his play, on both ends.

Hoody

-Ben Stein
Hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #26
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping for a good amount of turnover at the AHL and NHL levels over the summer, regarding the bottom lines. There's a couple boys that need to start getting shots at the NHL level more regularly, and that'd be Stevenson, Van der Gulik, Maki, Prust, McElhinney, Pardy - no matter how up and down they may have played in Quad Cities this year. Hell, Nystrom didn't exactly light up the AHL, and he's been playing with a good passion since being introduced into the Flames lineup and has bee more than solid. His game against Vancouver on Saturday... just, wow.

I would hope that we atleast see a handful of new Calgary prospects joining the Quad Cities Flames in 08-09. Guys like Puustinen, Armstrong, Irving, Watt, and maybe even guys like Negrin, Didomente, Taratukhin and Ryder could be in. As well, any undrafted junior players, or journeyman AHL'ers that could provide solid depth for the team.

Exciting times, for sure in Quad Cities in 08-09.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #27
Hunter74
First Line Centre

Exp:

So have there been any juicy quotes lately from the QC head coach or from Sutter in regards to the QC team?

I remember this past summer Sutter made a comment that he expects his developing prospects to be challenging for a Flames roster spot by the time they are in their 3rd pro season. So how many of the QC guys just finished their 3rd pro season and out of those guys which ones would you expect Sutter to think about keeping? According to Sutters 3 year pro guidline thing maybe some of these guys who were signed out of junior or drafted by the Flames wont be around next season. The timeline must be different for defensemen and goaltenders, no?

Germyn 3yrs
Van Der Gulik 2yrs but he's 25yrs old
Prust 3yrs
Chucko 2yrs and is obvioulsy not liked by QC fans for some reason.
Peters 3yrs Peters is a 26yr old player
Ramholt 2yrs and like Chucko doesn't seem to be liked by QC fans.
Couture 3yrs
Pardy 3yrs
Cunning 3yrs
Maki 3yrs
Sutter 1yr doesn't seem like many QC fans like him much
Pelech 1yr
Palin 3yrs
Baldwin 1yr
Cole 1yr
Cracknell 2yrs
Donally 2yrs
Lalande 1yr
Keetley 1yr
Krahn 4yrs
McElhinney 3yrs

Does anyone else geet the feeling that alot of QC fans don't really like this team and alot of the prospects on it. Just from reading alot of the threads over the year I get this feeling they don't really care for the team that much and the way the players play or maybe what they bring to the table. Maybe its as simple as not enough flash and to much bash?
Hunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #28
Hunter74
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was wondering who are the possible additions to the team for the fall roster? What junior or college players are eligible to play next year?

Puustinen - hopefully his offense translates to the AHL
Armstrong - Not exactly a offensive power house but he puts up some points.
Didiomete - Prust like player but I think he put up better numbers in the OHL.
Carpentier - he has some offensive talent though I think his skating was an issue. Hopefully his offense translates well to the pro level.
J.D Watt - Other than grit and hitting I don't know what he will contribute.
Folton - Doubt he would leave college but his team isn't the greatest so maybe. Doubt it though since he would be giving up a degree.
Marvin - Same as Fulton except Marvins team is somewhat better.

From the ECHL who could be inline for a promotion?

Donally - An article suggested that he seems to have found his way there putting up some points.
Cracknell - You would think scoring 29 goals and 56pts would be enough to get a promotion especially considering the AHL team has struggled so much when it comes to putting pucks on net.
Seitsonen - I guess he's in the same boat as Cracknell. 18 goals and 36pts in 70 games for the Wranglers and not even a call up. You woudl think he would be good enough for the 4th line? Honestly whos daughter did he sleep with to not even get 1 call up to play on a struggling QC team. Is the roster that deep?

Either way doesn't look like there is alot of help coming for the QC group. Well depends on how well those couple offensive juniors due in the AHL enviroment.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknessmonsters View Post
I hope that everyone down in QC realizes that this was the 3rd youngest team in the AHL. Going forward you will have a bunch of guys with a years experience under their belt and a much better grasp of the pro game. With youngsters like Hugo and Pust making their way up to play with the QC club you will have some added scoring. Armstrong might be there as well. I might be wrong on Armstrong since he may have another year in the OHL. Just going off of memory now.
It's just frustrating when the core of this very same team was the conference champion last season.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #30
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

We didnt have a bad year they can still finish below .500 but more than likely not. People around here just need a reason to b*tch and moan about something.

Everything will be forgotten over the summer and they will be back next year. Im happy that most of the defence will be the same next year since thats one of our strong points and maybe some of these young kids can knock a few in the net next year with Irving and Keets in net it will be okay. I would rather watch a losing ahl team that a winning UHL crap that we had.

Some of the players might be upset *cough* Germyn *cough* seems like he gets a jump start when he sees some of them omaha fans at our or in iowa games and might be upset that he had to leave omaha. IDC hes a pro hes played to play hockey play hard. more than likely he will be a lifer in the AHL getting a couple of call ups here and there for injury purpose.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Not b*tching, just more concerned about how the QC is accepting the team if it isn't immediately successful.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #32
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It's just frustrating when the core of this very same team was the conference champion last season.
I actually think that we lost the core. Taratukhin scored 60 points last season, as did Boyd....and we lost Boyd after 18 games. Ference, Moss, Regehr, Godard....a half of a season from each of these guys, with their experience, would make a big difference. Stevenson was here from the start, but Kolanos came in later. They score points, but we were never able to see the chemistry of the Omaha team. Obviously there had to be more there than we have had here....or else the personnel changes had to be the difference.
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:45 AM   #33
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter74 View Post
Does anyone else geet the feeling that alot of QC fans don't really like this team and alot of the prospects on it. Just from reading alot of the threads over the year I get this feeling they don't really care for the team that much and the way the players play or maybe what they bring to the table. Maybe its as simple as not enough flash and to much bash?
The only guy I really don't like on this year's team is Ramholt. I think he plays lazy and lacks concentration. I definitely don't understand why the organization is so high on him. But maybe they know something I don't.

The rest of the guys, I love....and I love the play of the AHL! A friend asked me when I was going to get a player jersey. I'm not going to....because there are so many guys I like, it would be too hard to pick just one!!

(And I don't think it's a matter of the fans not liking the team. It's more about the fact that we've had some rather severe losing streaks....and we have a team that can't seem to score a goal on some nights on a bet! They don't seem to understand that Calgary is built around defense or that we must play Calgary's system....and everyone likes the chance to get excited for a goal!!)
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #34
pioneer98
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Not b*tching, just more concerned about how the QC is accepting the team if it isn't immediately successful.
QC hockey is definitely in transition. The people complaining are the ones who got to see the Mallards in the playoffs every year. Many of these people may be back if/when the Flames start winning, but the transition that needs to take place is to get more casual fans in the building and get a few of them hooked.

The fact that QC came into the AHL so late gave them zero time to plan any promotions, and also forced them to be the last team in the entire league to set their schedule. Next year they are supposed to get a more desirable schedule, and I'm anxious to see what Neil Bossola does to improve the marketing of the team.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 AM   #35
Hunter74
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am hoping that the QC team does alot better next year and not just b/c I want more fan support for our prospects but b/c it is good for the organization and the QC community to have a successfull team.

Hopefully some of the new blood next year have good rookie seasons and some of the veterans bounce back and improve their play alot. I am sure the goaltending for example will be alot better next year with Lalande, Keetley having more experience under their belts and possibly Irving up here aswell considering he turned 20 a few days ago.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #36
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary's got a LOT of money tied up for next year in a few players:

F: Iginla [7], Tanguay [5.25], Langkow [5], Lombardi [1.82], Primeau [1.4], Nilson [1], Moss [0.55], Boyd [0.543]
D: Aucoin [4], Sarich [3.6], Warrener [2.35], Regehr [4], Eriksson [1.5], Phaneuf [6.5]
G: Kiprusoff [5.83]

In short, to stay under the cap a few guys from the QC who aren't gonna make a ton of NHL bucks are almost definitely filling the voids.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #37
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter74 View Post
I am sure the goaltending for example will be alot better next year with Lalande, Keetley having more experience under their belts and possibly Irving up here aswell considering he turned 20 a few days ago.
i wish goaltending was our problem. i realize calgary isn't exactly known for its offensive game, but a few guys knowing what they are doing would help. i think we were like 10th or 11th in goals against but like 27th in goals scored.

though mcelhinney didn't seem to be too popular, he was solid. didn't he lead the ahl in goals against last season? keetley did look good late in the year.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote