Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #181
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

An SD signal will almost always look worse on an HDTV than it will on an HDTV. It's like listening to AM radio- if it's a basic radio and speakers it doesn't sound too bad. On a $3000 stereo system it sounds like crap.

Me, I would hook it up the way you have it; allowing the TV's internal processor take the analog signal and try to clean it up. Others will tell you to use an S-video cable to take advantage of the higher quality signal.

My bottom line; week 3 of the NFL and NHL just about to start- the time is now to get an HD box. Even if it goes on the credit card; the interest you pay will be worth it. Or go with Shaw's no interest plan.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #182
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah it can look pretty crappy depending on the TV and how far back you sit.

I have a 40" TV and SD actually looks not that bad on some shows like discovery and stuff, but on sports it looks bad. The model of TV can make a pretty big difference as well, I've got a Sony Bravia which has pretty good upscaling hardware in it so it does a decent job of making it look better. Play around with things like sharpness in your TV to see if you can make it better too.

An SVideo signal is still analog, just a better quality one so at the very least use an svideo cable (or component if your cable box has it) to get the signal to the TV.. the yellow ended composite is the worst possible one to use.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #183
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
An SVideo signal is still analog, just a better quality one so at the very least use an svideo cable (or component if your cable box has it) to get the signal to the TV.. the yellow ended composite is the worst possible one to use.
There you go- two opposite opinions. My suggestion is to try both S-video and composite; and see which you prefer. My thing against S-video is even though it is analog; it will also disable any filtering that is built into your TV.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #184
photon

Exp:

That used to be the case but with a newer HDTV I don't think it disables anymore; it has to convert it from 480i to the native res of the TV.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #185
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as analog signal delivery goes:
cable < composite < svideo < component

Edit: and there can be a big difference between TVs as to how well they process the SD signal (scaling and deinterlacing).
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 09-24-2007, 01:43 AM   #186
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

repost

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-24-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 AM   #187
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi Everyone,

I have a Samsung LNR329D(pretty sure that's the correct model #). Anyways, my HDMI connection on the back of the TV has come loose. So basically, if I plug the HDMI cord into the back of the TV, the picture does not show up. All I get is a green screen, but if I wiggle it and hold it without letting go, all is well.

Can anyone recommend a repair shop that can fix this? I think the connection is on a circuit board, so I'm not too comfortable trying to do the repair myself. If anyone can pass on some leads, that would be great.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:52 AM   #188
photon

Exp:

I don't know anyone, but a good bet would be to find out from Samsung who the warranty repair shop in town for them is, and give them a call.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #189
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there a difference in quality of HD between using component cables or one with an HDMI end on it?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #190
photon

Exp:

As with all things like this the answer is it depends. Component is more limited in bandwidth so it really will only do 720p / 1080i. If you have a 720p TV then there will be very little difference between the two (as long as your cables are decent).

But if you are running new HDDVD or Bluray stuff, then with component you can definately be sacrificing some quality. The newer HDMI 1.3a specs allow for 1080p/24 which is 24 frames per second movies (the frame rate that movies are actually shot in). It also allows for more colours, so if you have a display that supports it you can get more colours.

Another aspect of it is copy protection. HDMI supports HDCP which allows encrypted materials like HDDVD and Bluray to play on the TV. Right now players will also send high def signals over component, but the option is there for them to turn that off in the future, meaning to get high def content your only choice would be HDMI (or DVI I guess, HDMI is just DVI with a different connector and audio).

One other consideration is the audio. I think most high def players require HDMI to be able to output their highest quality audio. If you are using the speakers in the TV it's not a big deal, but if you have a home theatre it might be. Without HDMI and an HDMI receiver, you'd be limited to Dolby Digital and DTS, where with HDMI and an HDMI receiver you can get the high def lossless audio.

Clear as mud eh? If you post the specifics of your setup we can probably give a more specific answer.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #191
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for cheap (a.k.a. reasonably-priced) HDMI cables. Can anyone recommend a supplier?--I'm looking for advice from your personal experience only...not simply reputation. I'd prefer something brick-and-mortar, but if online ordering is the only option for reasonable pricing, I'll take it.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 02:10 PM   #192
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you choose to buy from online, I ordered a 6ft HDMI cable from monoprice.com. It was only $15 for a HDMI cable and it works like any other HDMI cable, but doesn't cost $200. Shipping did take a little longer than I was expecting. But if you don't need it right away then check them out. (I think shipping was a little over 2 weeks)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240

Here I actually started a thread about them and got some questions answered if you'd like to investigate more.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=45435
Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #193
photon

Exp:

Monoprice! Great cables, I have a 35 foot HDMI one in my walls running a projector and it works perfectly, plus a bunch of others from them.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #194
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thks guys. Will order tonight!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #195
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

drr wrong forum.

Last edited by Cerebral; 09-27-2007 at 09:10 PM. Reason: ddd
Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #196
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Allrighty then...I'm feeling a little stupid, so I'll ask another one:

To connect TV to DVD/Receiver...6-foot lengths or less...which of the available products would you, the HD oracles, recommend? Selection of monoprice HDMI cables is here.

I see cheap-ass ones at 28 AWG, and a couple of more expensive ones at 24 AWG.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #197
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's any help I bought this one. Might as well go with 6ft. 3ft can be too short depending on your setup.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #198
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Okily dokily. I just bought a PSP 2001 which has a video out port. You have to buy a Sony specific cable that plugs into the PSP on one end and then has component cables on the other end. Now here is the problem.

My flat screen plasma is nicely mounted on the wall and difficult to move. However, I was wise enough to realize that I might want to expand one day so I dropped down a spare composite set of cables and a spare HDMI cable.

Can I get a female-female cable so that I can plug the male component cable from the PSP into the male component cable already plugged into the TV?

Edit: Come to think of it, maybe what I really need is a component switch box. That way I can have the component VCR, component Wii and the component PSP all hooked up at the same time. That would work, eh?

Last edited by Devils'Advocate; 09-28-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #199
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Never mind. I have everything working now. I ran to the nearest "Source", found a component selector on sale, and the PSP is working wonderfully on my Viera.

All set for next week's Final Fantasy Tactics - PSP. But tomorrow I'll go out and get Twisted Metal-Head On and Pirates!.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #200
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, Sony has released the first OLED display commercially.

Quote:
The stunning XEL-1 is what Sony teased on Friday on their site in Japan. The XEL-1 is an 11 inch display that is only 3mm thin.
Other stunning performance indicators include a dramatic 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio and a low 45W power consumption.
Crazy expensive and only 11" but it is the first one. It'll only get better from here.

And Samsung is supposed to have released their LED Backlight displays, but I haven't seen any reviews yet.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Closed Thread