Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2024, 12:14 PM   #4661
YyjFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I wouldn’t waste the first pick of this rebuild on an NCAA D or a Russian with limited offensive upside.

And I understand that the consensus is what it is, but I simply don’t value the collective group think of NHL front offices/media that highly.

In 2008, the best Defenseman draft of the 21st century, Erik Karlsson was drafted after Drew Doughty, Zach Bogosian, Alex Pietrangelo, Luke Schenn, Tyler Myers and Colton Teubert.

How many of those guys are you taking over Erik Karlsson? At best, two.

Most of those scouts are still employed.

In the back half of that 1st round, you then had Jake Gardiner, Luca Sbisa,
Michael Del Zotto, Tyler Cuma, and concluding with John Carlson.

Five Norris trophies in that 1st round.

This could well be 2008 all over again, and I just don’t want Teubert or Myers or Schenn if I can have Karlsson/Carlson.
It's a little easier to look back at drafts and say who teams should have picked than looking forward. These guys are 17 and 18 year olds after all.

Did you post about anyone like you're posting about Parekh in previous drafts?

Although, to be fair, I do like your passion for Parekh... and I sure hope if he's what you think he's going to be, he falls to the Flames at nine and they take him.
YyjFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YyjFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 12:26 PM   #4662
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
It's a little easier to look back at drafts and say who teams should have picked than looking forward. These guys are 17 and 18 year olds after all.

Did you post about anyone like you're posting about Parekh in previous drafts?

Although, to be fair, I do like your passion for Parekh... and I sure hope if he's what you think he's going to be, he falls to the Flames at nine and they take him.
No - I haven’t bothered to do much studying for the draft since Tkachuk, truth be told.

I look at most of the top-10 and I see only a few players that would reasonably end up in Calgary long term.

I don’t think any of the Russians “want” to come here - though if Demidov falls into their laps, and they prioritized getting Kuzmenko and Sharangovich here long term for him, I’d be thrilled.

I don’t trust the American NCAA players at such a premium slot.

Lindstrom has a back injury that he’s still not recovered from.

That leaves Parekh, Dickinson, Catton, Iginla and Helenius for me.

I think Dickinson looks fantastic - he seems like a mix of Doughty and Hamilton.

Catton is a fine consolidation if everyone else has Been taken.

Helenius seems more Backlund/Lindholm to me, and I think there are guys with higher ceilings.

Iggy at 9 is still my preference if we stand pat.

But of all those, I see Parekh as having the highest game changing potential, and if the chance is there to move up and get him, I think they should do it because I don’t think he’ll be there at 9.

But I freely admit I don’t know anything.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 12:28 PM   #4663
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

As we get closer to the draft, and the fact that Iginla is expected to go right around 9, and with his name/pedigree, I know it is the popular pick and feels like the destiny pick. I just think it's the wrong pick.

It feels to me like the perfect / inevitable bad luck and timing that haunts the Flames like a plague, is that Iginla seems destined to be lining up for them, when what they really need is either a C or a D.

I really hope we get Lindstrom (and could live with Catton)

Or, I hope we get Silayev, but would be happy with Parekh or Buium.

The Iginla story is great, but it isn't what the Flames need. Just my opinion.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 12:37 PM   #4664
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
As we get closer to the draft, and the fact that Iginla is expected to go right around 9, and with his name/pedigree, I know it is the popular pick and feels like the destiny pick. I just think it's the wrong pick.

It feels to me like the perfect / inevitable bad luck and timing that haunts the Flames like a plague, is that Iginla seems destined to be lining up for them, when what they really need is either a C or a D.

I agree with you. I think we definitely need to go C + D with our two firsts this year, and although the Iginla story is fun, I just don't see using yet another 1st on a winger as a winning strategy.

And yeah, I know some people will say "but some people think Iginla could play C". Yeah, we've heard the same about Coronato and Honzek ... how about we just draft a real center for a change? You build through the middle, not through the wing. This franchise should know.

Now, I also think it's quite possibly a moot point because Iginla could already be off the board. And that's the scenario I'm rooting for, to be honest ... it would absolve the Flames from making that call at 9. And honestly, it might also be just better for Tij to go somewhere where he doesn't have the pressure of being the son of the franchise's greatest player.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 12:44 PM   #4665
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I agree with you. I think we definitely need to go C + D with our two firsts this year, and although the Iginla story is fun, I just don't see using yet another 1st on a winger as a winning strategy.

And yeah, I know some people will say "but some people think Iginla could play C". Yeah, we've heard the same about Coronato and Honzek ... how about we just draft a real center for a change? You build through the middle, not through the wing. This franchise should know.

Now, I also think it's quite possibly a moot point because Iginla could already be off the board. And that's the scenario I'm rooting for, to be honest ... it would absolve the Flames from making that call at 9. And honestly, it might also be just better for Tij to go somewhere where he doesn't have the pressure of being the son of the franchise's greatest player.
Exactly what I am hoping to see.
  1. It avoids the pressure - both for the Flames and for Iginla - that would build if they pick him.
  2. It avoids the #### show that would ensue if the Flames passed on him
  3. It pushes one of the guys that I do want, down to us
  4. It almost certainly means we take a C or a D

It's better for everyone. Come on, MTL, do us a solid and take him at #5
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 12:46 PM   #4666
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I mostly agree with you here, and a D seems like the way to go for the Flames in this draft. I really hope we get to snag the next Makar/Heiskanen and build around him. That's why I personally hope we stay away from Silayev, because I think we will pass up on a bigger game changer due to his size. I also don't see any of the forwards outside of the top 2 turning into a top 10-15 player in their position.

My preference:
1. Buium
2. Dickinson
3. Parekh
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 12:52 PM   #4667
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

You know it's gonna go one of 2 ways; it will be like the Habs passing on Denis Savard who everyone in Montreal wanted, just to draft Doug Wickenheiser. Or it could be the Habs drafting Louis Leblanc to appease everyone, and missing on Chris Kreider or Ryan O'Reilly.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:53 PM   #4668
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

if Lindstrom somehow falls, it's a no-brainer to me. Otherwise Catton, Dickinson or Buium, probably in that order for me.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 01:03 PM   #4669
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (What is a Foreur? Edition):

With only 15 wins and 35 points in the standings, the Val D'Or Foreurs were not only the worst team in the Q by 13 points, they were dead-last in the entire CHL. RW Alexandre Guy was first in goals on the team (only 23), and second in points (39 in 63 games) on the 2nd-lowest scoring squad in the QMJHL, with his goals accounting for 13% of Val D'Or's offense, so it's natural to wonder how he would fare on even an average team. The 6'2",190lb winger is a little older, with a November 2005 birthday.

Guy is a big power-forward with an even bigger shot that explodes off his blade with a powerful release. He's proficient at locating space, and will go to the net and battle for second-chance opportunities, or to cause chaos in the crease. He owns soft hands for scoring in-close, and keen hand-eye coordination to convert tips and rebounds. He can release in full flight without sacrificing much power in his shot. Guy is a skilled passer but he's not a true playmaker, although it's hard to tell with the supporting cast he has to work with in Val D'Or- any signs of creativity come mainly in flashes, and the same can be said about his ability to create space for teammates. In physical battles, he fights hard and wins pucks as well as body position, and utilizes his frame well to play a physical style- though he could stand to throw more hits. He's a heavy forechecker who leverages his body and stick to cause havok and separate man from puck, and will involve himself in post-whistle shenanigans, sticking up for teammates. Mobility-wise, he skates fine in a straight-line with decent top speed, but needs to add more quickness and upgrade his acceleration- although he displays an explosive short-burst at times. His edges and agility are also in need of improvement, for better speed in turns, greater lateral mobility, and faster pivoting. An area where he stands out is his smooth stickhandling and tight protection, which makes it difficult to steal the puck from him, and enables him to occasionally dangle past defenders, or deke opponents out of their jockstraps.

Off the puck, Guy is known for his proactive attention to detail and well-developed instincts in being in good position to cover his man and take their stick before the puck arrives. He also exhibits smart positioning in skating routes that allow him to stay a playable option to teammates. On the backcheck, he displays a high workrate in disrupting opponents with his stick and body- an almost futile proposition on a team as bad as Val D'Or. Scouts seem to agree that it's hard to get an accurate read on Guy because the team he plays for is so terrible, but while he needs plenty of improvements, his puck-skills, defensive play, physicality, and shooting talents are all projectable qualities. He's still quite raw, and may not even be drafted this year, but he's going to have a huge breakout sooner or later- and we may see him on re-entry lists in the future. If he's drafted, look for him in later rounds.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 01:07 PM   #4670
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That Guy sounds like good value in the middle rounds.

I’m curious about that Miettenin Kid out of swift current. He’s 63. A natural pivot. Getting better at playmaking. Good shot. Responsible. Moves well for his size. Acclimatizing to the smaller ice by being in the WHL.

Any one have any options on him?

I’d be happy with him at 28
Old 06-24-2024, 01:12 PM   #4671
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post
That Guy sounds like good value in the middle rounds.

I’m curious about that Miettenin Kid out of swift current. He’s 63. A natural pivot. Getting better at playmaking. Good shot. Responsible. Moves well for his size. Acclimatizing to the smaller ice by being in the WHL.

Any one have any options on him?

I’d be happy with him at 28
I would be happy with him as well.

LW/C Julius Miettinen was given a "C" rating earlier this season by Central Scouting, meaning they expected him at the time to be picked in the 4th/5th round of the Draft, but I would bet he's risen significantly since then. He was selected 30th overall in the 2023 CHL Import Draft by Everett of the WHL, but his adjustment to the North American ice this season was difficult at first. In his first 27 games, Miettinen had only 15 points- but he's been playing like a first-rounder since then, with 29 points in his last 21 games, for a total of 44 points in 48 games to date. Everett is currently 2nd overall in the 'Dub, and 6th in goals-scored. The 6'3",205lb Miettinen was selected to play for team Finland last summer at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, but only managed 1 point in 5 games.
Miettinen is a dual threat offensively, but leans a bit towards shooter, and has a power-forward makeup, playing a hard and heavy game. He uses his size well, to bulldoze his way around, and wear down the opposition by finishing his checks. He moves very well for a big man, as he demonstrated at the CHL Top Prospects Game, with a smooth stride that could perhaps use a bit more explosiveness. He shows good positioning and a smart off-puck game in both ends of the ice, and knows where to be to get the job done. He's very strong on the puck, and on his skates, making it very hard to get a takeaway from him, or knock him off stride. Miettinen owns a high-level of vision and IQ- his head is always on a swivel, scanning for his next option, and makes good decisions with the puck- although he's not an elite playmaker. His shot is strong, with a fine release, but he gets a lot of his goals by playing hard in the slot, and by being a net-front menace- he's good in tight, and will stand in front of the goaltender to hack and whack, capitalize on rebounds, or score off of deflections. His hands are soft, and he can pick corners, or deke out goalies. You would think he was a Canadian, with his superior work-ethic and compete, and his high-motor. He plays with energy, and is purported to be an excellent teammate who wants to win. Miettinen can be a shutdown center, and there are precious few flaws in his defensive game, which will bode well for getting his foot in the door in the NHL. His awareness defensively is high-end, and he consistently shuts down lanes, kills plays, and drives attackers to the outside with his physicality, and an active, well-timed stick. He played D for the first 7 years of his hockey career, so he understands the defensive side of the game. His floor is most likely high because of this, but he has potential for much more.
Miettinen is a good candidate for middle-6 NHL duty in the future, but will at least be a quality defensive forward. He needs to keep growing his offense, his shot, and his skating, but he's looking like a solid 2nd-rounder, IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 01:29 PM   #4672
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

LW/C Julius Miettinen was given a "C" rating earlier this season by Central Scouting, meaning they expected him at the time to be picked in the 4th/5th round of the Draft, but I would bet he's risen significantly since then. He was selected 30th overall in the 2023 CHL Import Draft by Everett of the WHL, but his adjustment to the North American ice this season was difficult at first. In his first 27 games, Miettinen had only 15 points- but he's been playing like a first-rounder since then, with 29 points in his last 21 games, for a total of 44 points in 48 games to date. Everett is currently 2nd overall in the 'Dub, and 6th in goals-scored. The 6'3",205lb Miettinen was selected to play for team Finland last summer at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, but only managed 1 point in 5 games.
Miettinen is a dual threat offensively, but leans a bit towards shooter, and has a power-forward makeup, playing a hard and heavy game. He uses his size well, to bulldoze his way around, and wear down the opposition by finishing his checks. He moves very well for a big man, as he demonstrated at the CHL Top Prospects Game, with a smooth stride that could perhaps use a bit more explosiveness. He shows good positioning and a smart off-puck game in both ends of the ice, and knows where to be to get the job done. He's very strong on the puck, and on his skates, making it very hard to get a takeaway from him, or knock him off stride. Miettinen owns a high-level of vision and IQ- his head is always on a swivel, scanning for his next option, and makes good decisions with the puck- although he's not an elite playmaker. His shot is strong, with a fine release, but he gets a lot of his goals by playing hard in the slot, and by being a net-front menace- he's good in tight, and will stand in front of the goaltender to hack and whack, capitalize on rebounds, or score off of deflections. His hands are soft, and he can pick corners, or deke out goalies. You would think he was a Canadian, with his superior work-ethic and compete, and his high-motor. He plays with energy, and is purported to be an excellent teammate who wants to win. Miettinen can be a shutdown center, and there are precious few flaws in his defensive game, which will bode well for getting his foot in the door in the NHL. His awareness defensively is high-end, and he consistently shuts down lanes, kills plays, and drives attackers to the outside with his physicality, and an active, well-timed stick. He played D for the first 7 years of his hockey career, so he understands the defensive side of the game. His floor is most likely high because of this, but he has potential for much more.
Miettinen is a good candidate for middle-6 NHL duty in the future, but will at least be a quality defensive forward. He needs to keep growing his offense, his shot, and his skating, but he's looking like a solid 2nd-rounder, IMO.

I just don’t get the lower rating for this kid. I think a smart GM is gonna pick in in the 20s. He looks like a complete package and resembles shades of Barkov.
Old 06-24-2024, 01:30 PM   #4673
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post
I just don’t get the lower rating for this kid. I think a smart GM is gonna pick in in the 20s. He looks like a complete package and resembles shades of Barkov.
I’ve seen him slipping into the late first in some mocks…
Old 06-24-2024, 01:31 PM   #4674
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

With only 15 wins and 35 points in the standings, the Val D'Or Foreurs were not only the worst team in the Q by 13 points, they were dead-last in the entire CHL. RW Alexandre Guy was first in goals on the team (only 23), and second in points (39 in 63 games) on the 2nd-lowest scoring squad in the QMJHL, with his goals accounting for 13% of Val D'Or's offense, so it's natural to wonder how he would fare on even an average team. The 6'2",190lb winger is a little older, with a November 2005 birthday.

Guy is a big power-forward with an even bigger shot that explodes off his blade with a powerful release. He's proficient at locating space, and will go to the net and battle for second-chance opportunities, or to cause chaos in the crease. He owns soft hands for scoring in-close, and keen hand-eye coordination to convert tips and rebounds. He can release in full flight without sacrificing much power in his shot. Guy is a skilled passer but he's not a true playmaker, although it's hard to tell with the supporting cast he has to work with in Val D'Or- any signs of creativity come mainly in flashes, and the same can be said about his ability to create space for teammates. In physical battles, he fights hard and wins pucks as well as body position, and utilizes his frame well to play a physical style- though he could stand to throw more hits. He's a heavy forechecker who leverages his body and stick to cause havok and separate man from puck, and will involve himself in post-whistle shenanigans, sticking up for teammates. Mobility-wise, he skates fine in a straight-line with decent top speed, but needs to add more quickness and upgrade his acceleration- although he displays an explosive short-burst at times. His edges and agility are also in need of improvement, for better speed in turns, greater lateral mobility, and faster pivoting. An area where he stands out is his smooth stickhandling and tight protection, which makes it difficult to steal the puck from him, and enables him to occasionally dangle past defenders, or deke opponents out of their jockstraps.

Off the puck, Guy is known for his proactive attention to detail and well-developed instincts in being in good position to cover his man and take their stick before the puck arrives. He also exhibits smart positioning in skating routes that allow him to stay a playable option to teammates. On the backcheck, he displays a high workrate in disrupting opponents with his stick and body- an almost futile proposition on a team as bad as Val D'Or. Scouts seem to agree that it's hard to get an accurate read on Guy because the team he plays for is so terrible, but while he needs plenty of improvements, his puck-skills, defensive play, physicality, and shooting talents are all projectable qualities. He's still quite raw, and may not even be drafted this year, but he's going to have a huge breakout sooner or later- and we may see him on re-entry lists in the future. If he's drafted, look for him in later rounds.
yeah... but... like... his name is boring.
Ba'alzamon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ba'alzamon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 01:34 PM   #4675
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Soooo many interesting guys in the second. Really like miettinen and the game he plays, but badinka, letourneau, fisher, skahan, mews, stiga to mention a few are all in that range. Really wish we could make a deal with utah for six and a couple of seconds.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 01:36 PM   #4676
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So wait, his name is A. Guy?

Sign me up.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 01:55 PM   #4677
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoman View Post
I would actually argue that Buium's points in a much tougher league is at least as impressive as Parekh's. Both are historical outliers and incredible.
There aren’t a lot of sure things in this draft, but I’d be confident laying a bet on Buium going before Parekh.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft