Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2024, 02:18 PM   #4681
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
We’re not talking about an undrafted free agent - we’re talking about a presumptive top-10 selection who could easily be taken as high as three and nobody would be shocked.
So what? The point still stands. Nobody knows how these players' careers are going to go. Anybody who thinks Parekh is certain to have a career like Bobby Orr is high on something they shouldn't be.

Is any other player in this draft as good as Bobby Orr? Is any other player in the past five years?

You're not listening to what I'm saying. If Parekh was as good as that model makes him out, he would be the absolute consensus #1 overall pick. He is not.

In fact, he isn't even the consensus best defenceman in the draft. As other posters have said, you don't give away your best prospect just to move up in the draft and take a player who may very well be available at your original pick – and if not, someone just as good will be.

Last edited by Jay Random; 06-24-2024 at 02:21 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:19 PM   #4682
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Exactly what I am hoping to see.
  1. It avoids the pressure - both for the Flames and for Iginla - that would build if they pick him.
  2. It avoids the #### show that would ensue if the Flames passed on him
  3. It pushes one of the guys that I do want, down to us
  4. It almost certainly means we take a C or a D

It's better for everyone. Come on, MTL, do us a solid and take him at #5
MTL probably only takes Iginla if Lindstrom is off the board. So we really outta be hoping for CLB to take Lindstrom.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:20 PM   #4683
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
MTL probably only takes Iginla if Lindstrom is off the board. So we really outta be hoping for CLB to take Lindstrom.
I don't think it matters who takes him, the hope is that someone does.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:21 PM   #4684
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think they do. Maybe just me, but Fantilli/Lindstrom would be sick.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:21 PM   #4685
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Anaheim (14OA) or Chicago (18OA) were open to moving their rebuilds ahead by trading their 2nd picks of this draft, do the Flames have anything either of those teams could use? The Flames could get Hage at one of those picks.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:23 PM   #4686
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
You know it's gonna go one of 2 ways; it will be like the Habs passing on Denis Savard who everyone in Montreal wanted, just to draft Doug Wickenheiser. Or it could be the Habs drafting Louis Leblanc to appease everyone, and missing on Chris Kreider or Ryan O'Reilly.
For the record, Chicago indicated they would have taken Wickenhriser if they had the chance. They forbears simply because they had the third choice.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:24 PM   #4687
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
If Anaheim (14OA) or Chicago (18OA) were open to moving their rebuilds ahead by trading their 2nd picks of this draft, do the Flames have anything either of those teams could use? The Flames could get Hage at one of those picks.
I doubt Chicago moves their pick unless it’s to move up to 9.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:25 PM   #4688
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I doubt Chicago moves their pick unless it’s to move up to 9.
Why 9 particularly? Do you think Conroy wants to blow his brains out with a dumb trade?
Old 06-24-2024, 02:26 PM   #4689
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I could see one of those picks (especially CHI) being dealt to the Jets for McGroarty. Then the Jets maybe flipping it for immediate help.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 02:32 PM   #4690
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer2 View Post
I picked Miettenen at 32 in the CPHL draft. I think he's a strong possibility to sneak into the late first. NHL teams still covet size, especially at the centre position. He's big, can skate, put up 31g 36a for 67pts in 66 GP after moving to Canada at the age of 17 because he wants to make the NHL.

Looking at the mix of other Centres with size in the draft after Celebrini, you have:

- Lindstrom at 6'4 (will likely be gone when the Flames pick at 9)
- Beaudoin at 6'2, projected to go in the 20's
- Boisvert at 6'2, projected to go in the 20's
- O'Reilly at 6'1, projected to go in the 30's to 40's
- Surin at 6'1, projected to go in the 20's to 30's
- Letourneau at 6'6, projected to go late 20's to 30's
- Miettenen at 6'3, projected to go in the 20's to 30's

Outside of Lindstrom, Miettenen is the fastest, 2nd biggest after the giant Letourneau, had good point totals in his rookie season in the WHL, has skill, defensive responsibility, a high motor and compete, but maybe hasn't had as much international exposure. Add all those up, and I wonder why he hasn't been mocked higher more consistently.

He has a high floor, with upside of 2nd Line centre (who knows, kids can always surprise into more, or less). I tend to think he'd be a great pick for the Flames with their 28th pick. Can't see him getting to their 2nd rounder with the mix of tools he has.

The one thing i was unaware was he is center capable. For myself i was hoping to snag Beaudoin, with 28, miettinen or brunicke or letourneau with the first second and skahan or fisher with the lower second.

My draft looks like it this if everything was equal:

Whoever is left of buium,dickinson, catton, tij or parehk. (Although i have a strong suspicion that Helenius is high on their list)
Beaudoin, artamanov/ badinka #28
Miettinen/letourneau/badinka #41
Fisher/skahan. #62

Perfect world?
Dickinson at nine this line up.
Beaudoin
Miettinen
Fisher

Catton at nine:
Badinka
Miettinen or Beaudoin based in whos there and scouts
Fisher

I dont know what do you think of coming out of round one and two with those aquisitions?
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:53 PM   #4691
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Why 9 particularly? Do you think Conroy wants to blow his brains out with a dumb trade?
No, not all all. But the post was about Chicago trading pick #18. Where Chicago is in its rebuild, the only thing Calgary has that would interest them is likely pick # 9.

I was certainly not suggesting Calgary would do that.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:55 PM   #4692
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
So what? The point still stands. Nobody knows how these players' careers are going to go. Anybody who thinks Parekh is certain to have a career like Bobby Orr is high on something they shouldn't be.

Is any other player in this draft as good as Bobby Orr? Is any other player in the past five years?

You're not listening to what I'm saying. If Parekh was as good as that model makes him out, he would be the absolute consensus #1 overall pick. He is not.

In fact, he isn't even the consensus best defenceman in the draft. As other posters have said, you don't give away your best prospect just to move up in the draft and take a player who may very well be available at your original pick – and if not, someone just as good will be.
Erik Karlsson was the seventh Defenseman taken in the first round of his draft, which as I already elaborated, produced five Norris trophies, of which Karlsson has three.

The Orr model is beside the point - there’s more than enough on the tape and on the stats sheet and in the trophy case to confirm Parekh is a supremely talented player. Skating, shot, edges, vision, passing - all top tier.

Staple him to Weegar for the next seven years and watch what happens.

If Conroy and Button see him as a Cale Makar/Quinn Hughes, and they have the opportunity to trade up and select him, that’s what they should do, even if the cost is a really good prospect like Coronato.

I do, and I would. But I’m nobody.

If they don’t, they shouldn’t.

But they shouldn’t do or not do anything because of rankings and consensus.

There is no consensus.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:55 PM   #4693
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could see one of those picks (especially CHI) being dealt to the Jets for McGroarty. Then the Jets maybe flipping it for immediate help.
That could make sense if Chicago likes McGroaty more then who they project at #18.

Although I expect it would take a worse than #18 pick to get him.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:59 PM   #4694
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Where is Hage?
Admittedly I used Pronman's Centre list from his article a few weeks back, he has Hage listed as 'Maybe a center' along with Letourneau...but I included Letourneau because...well I just did. Haha.

Either way, good catch. He shouldn't be available at the Flames pick at 28 anyways...should go in the Teen's.
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 03:06 PM   #4695
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
The one thing i was unaware was he is center capable. For myself i was hoping to snag Beaudoin, with 28, miettinen or brunicke or letourneau with the first second and skahan or fisher with the lower second.

My draft looks like it this if everything was equal:

Whoever is left of buium,dickinson, catton, tij or parehk. (Although i have a strong suspicion that Helenius is high on their list)
Beaudoin, artamanov/ badinka #28
Miettinen/letourneau/badinka #41
Fisher/skahan. #62

Perfect world?
Dickinson at nine this line up.
Beaudoin
Miettinen
Fisher

Catton at nine:
Badinka
Miettinen or Beaudoin based in whos there and scouts
Fisher

I dont know what do you think of coming out of round one and two with those aquisitions?
Miettenen actually had quite a good faceoff % this year in the WHL, 55% I believe as a 17/18 year old.

If we take a D with Pick 9, then if Beaudoin is still there at 28, I would take him over Miettenen, I agree with you there. I suspect he won't be, based on his strong U18 play and another high floor, compete and physical shape.

If you can come away with Beaudoin and Miettenen at 28 and 41, that immediately boosts the Flames centre depth by quite a bit. Both are a big stretch to be a #1 centre, but they can be good pros in the Middle six.

Letorneau is also a decent bet at 41. I'd be happy with that too.

If we take a forward at 9, then a Badinka could be a good one at 28. 6'3 RHD, good mobility, speed, played in the SHL.

After the top 6 big D and then Solberg and Jiricek, the rest of the defense have quite limited upside from what I've read. But Badinka seems to be the most well-rounded of the bigger defensemen. I just wouldn't want a Charlie Elick type at 28 personally...would like the opportunity to have more of a puck-mover guy like Badinka.

Harrison Brunicke would also be a good pick for a defenseman...again fairly under the radar guy who played on a bad WHL team.

Admittedly don't know a lot about Fischer.

Last edited by simmer2; 06-24-2024 at 03:12 PM.
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2024, 03:30 PM   #4696
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That could make sense if Chicago likes McGroaty more then who they project at #18.

Although I expect it would take a worse than #18 pick to get him.
McGroarty went 14th OA two years ago and has progressed nicely. He probably goes a little higher in a redraft, and he’s close to NHL ready. Chicago would likely have to add.

But if CHI or ANA do trade their second 1st rounders, I expect it will be that sort of deal - for a very good prospect who’s a little further along in development but still young enough to be part of the emerging core.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:04 PM   #4697
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been thinking on Yakemchuk all day and did a bunch of reading/watching and my own personal conclusion is I'd rather take Jiricek. I'm slotting Yakemchuk below Jiricek.

Not to be bombastic or controversial, it's just how I read things. I don't know if Yakemchuk can play in a NHL structure yet.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:10 PM   #4698
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I've been thinking on Yakemchuk all day and did a bunch of reading/watching and my own personal conclusion is I'd rather take Jiricek. I'm slotting Yakemchuk below Jiricek.

Not to be bombastic or controversial, it's just how I read things. I don't know if Yakemchuk can play in a NHL structure yet.
I kind of agree. But I'm not that high on Yakemchuk in general, while I do believe Jiricek would have been quite a bit higher on lists without the injury. Someone's getting a steal there I think

Yakemchuk is fascinating though ... extremely polarizing. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one defenseman who slips a bit, but then you also have guys banging the table for him. Pronman has him at 3, I believe.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 04:31 PM   #4699
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Erik Karlsson was the seventh Defenseman taken in the first round of his draft, which as I already elaborated, produced five Norris trophies, of which Karlsson has three.
So now you're saying Parekh is merely certain to be as good as Karlsson? That would still make him the obvious #1 overall pick in this draft.

Quote:
The Orr model is beside the point - there’s more than enough on the tape and on the stats sheet and in the trophy case to confirm Parekh is a supremely talented player. Skating, shot, edges, vision, passing - all top tier.
And yet none of the scouting services, none of the independent analysts, and so far as we know (through Bob McKenzie's aggregates and other sources), none of the NHL scouting staffs, regard him as the best player in the draft.

Quote:
If Conroy and Button see him as a Cale Makar/Quinn Hughes, and they have the opportunity to trade up and select him, that’s what they should do, even if the cost is a really good prospect like Coronato.
No, they shouldn't, because even if he is taken before #9, that will leave other players of similar quality available at that spot. It is virtually certain that one of the big five defencemen will still be available at 9, and if not, there will be some extremely good forwards.

You don't give up your best prospect to move up four places in the draft just so you can draft the same quality of player you were going to get anyway.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:39 PM   #4700
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, not advocating for the Flames to move up or anything, because they are getting a very good prospect no matter who falls to them. But I can absolutely see a team wanting to move up 4 spots just to grab a player if they happen to feel he is of higher quality than everyone else - especially if they think another team is interested.

The Leafs traded to move up 2 spots in 2005 to grab Luke Schenn; in addition to the #7 pick, it cost them a 3rd that same year, and a 2nd a year later.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft