Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2024, 05:31 PM   #6041
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Man, entitled prospects that want a gifted roster spot....

Go earn it, if you're as good as you think you are it shouldn't be an issue.
And if teams won’t gift them a spot trade the prospect to a team that will. I guess if no team will gift him a spot he probably has to play out his junior and senior year and then sign somewhere as a free agent.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:47 PM   #6042
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I don't see where Pepsi said the signing team would get the prospect ‘right then’.

He could have done that in any case.

No, he doesn't, because the team that drafts him still has an exclusive two- or four-year window to sign him before anyone else can poach him.

The ONLY thing Pepsi is proposing to change is to give teams compensation – not to let drafted players jump ship immediately. That would be absurd, and defeat the entire idea of the draft.
If I misunderstood his idea, my bad. I stand corrected.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 05:48 PM   #6043
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Does 28 pick get McGroarty? Guessing not. I agree though, not many teams going to guarantee a spot that will offer more.
I actually wondered that myself, and if so- I would be all over that. I think they will get a number of awesome offers of young NHLers ready to challenge for roster spots though.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:29 PM   #6044
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'm thinking good prospects are going to refuse ELCs from teams where they don't want to go, knowing full well that a more preferable team to them will offer them a deal and happily pay the equivalent draft pick because not only do they get the prospect right then who is further along, but they get one that they know is already on a path to success.

For instance, with your proposed idea Michkov probably tells the Flyers thanks but no thanks because he knows as a "free agent" a team he more prefers will certainly offer him a contract. The Rangers come along and offer him a ELC, he signs because now he gets to jump straight to the NHL and be on the Presidents trophy winning team. The Rangers get the guy taken 7th overall last year and the Flyers get compensation from the Rangers? Well they have the 30th overall pick in 2024. That sounds like a great deal for the Flyers lol

That kind of scenario would play out year after year and likely multiple times per year, so yeah....disastrous IMO
Sorry, why would that happen if it’s not already happening?

You’re describing something that could happen right now and saying it’ll actually happen more if you make it more difficult to happen at all.

Maybe you’re just not understanding the way the current situation works so you think that’s somehow worse?

EDIT: never mind I missed your last post, all good
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:50 PM   #6045
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fox said the same thing he’s saying when he stiffed the Flames.. “doesn’t see enough room for a spot, too much depth”
It’s what these US kids are trained to say by their advisors.

They usually don’t come out and say “screw Winnipeg, who wants to play there am I right?” They try to politely play it off like they’d love to sign but they just don’t see a path to the NHL.

If he wanted to sign and he was ready, the Jets would make room.
I’d wager my left nut he wants a higher profile US market.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2024, 08:19 PM   #6046
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone know if a college player chooses to do the 4 year, and becomes a free agent, can they only sign an ELC, and once that ELC is done, are they an RFA, or UFA?

And, no, not asking for a ‘Friend’…
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 08:35 PM   #6047
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

You're RFA until age 27 or 7 years of service, whichever comes first.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 09:37 PM   #6048
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post
Does anyone know if a college player chooses to do the 4 year, and becomes a free agent, can they only sign an ELC, and once that ELC is done, are they an RFA, or UFA?
Yes, they can only sign an ELC.

It will most-likely be a 2 year deal if the player was drafted at 18 and played 4 years in the NCAA (which would make his signing age 22). If his signing age happens to be 24, it would only be a 1 year ELC.

Because he could only sign such a deal after August 15, there would not be an option for him to burn a year of his ELC like many late-season college signings do.

Even though he'd be signing his ELC as a UFA, once the deal expires, he would be an RFA for his second contract (and any subsequent contracts signed before he is 27).

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good