Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2024, 12:30 PM   #2261
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If you want to claim the primary residence exemption on your spec build flip you have to at least pretend to live there for awhile.
The rules are pretty loose on that, as long as you only designate one property at a time as your principle residence.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 04:34 PM   #2262
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'm sure they have enough lease bills for their Urus to make a good case out of it.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 04:58 PM   #2263
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I'm sure they have enough lease bills for their Urus to make a good case out of it.
Was the house owned by an NHL player? That's the only explanation I can think of as to why the only yard area is filled with a heavily used hockey shooting pad.

Also, strange that they couldn't find room for the Urus in that huge garage.
Old 06-10-2024, 05:31 PM   #2264
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That backyard shot is the most entertaining part of the whole ad. Did they run over to the hood and steal that broken down net and plant it there?

Its just so out of place in an otherwise lifeless home/ad. Kinda surprising the seller allowed the realtor to put it in there.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 05:54 PM   #2265
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
That backyard shot is the most entertaining part of the whole ad. Did they run over to the hood and steal that broken down net and plant it there?

Its just so out of place in an otherwise lifeless home/ad. Kinda surprising the seller allowed the realtor to put it in there.
I just noticed the net is directly behind the house of a poorer neighbour. Maybe they are trying to show prospective ultra rich buyers that you can entertain yourself by banging hockey pucks off the modest home of a local poor person. (I'm assuming it's Mr. Burns buying this place).

The house itself is stacked 4 levels high, including one double heigh layer, totally blocking the view of one neighbour. Then there's a tiny 4 foot fence protecting the other neighbour from the hockey shooting pad.

How the F did they get a permit allowing them to add an extra level like that and totally block out hte rear neihbour?
Old 06-10-2024, 06:25 PM   #2266
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I just noticed the net is directly behind the house of a poorer neighbour. Maybe they are trying to show prospective ultra rich buyers that you can entertain yourself by banging hockey pucks off the modest home of a local poor person. (I'm assuming it's Mr. Burns buying this place).

The house itself is stacked 4 levels high, including one double heigh layer, totally blocking the view of one neighbour. Then there's a tiny 4 foot fence protecting the other neighbour from the hockey shooting pad.

How the F did they get a permit allowing them to add an extra level like that and totally block out hte rear neihbour?
Your cake can be as many layers as you want as long as you don’t exceed your max height plane.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 06-10-2024 at 07:14 PM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 06:43 PM   #2267
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well you see this is a Single Family home. Those are only concerns for multi family homes.

Or if you are on the other side of the argument

See this is why we need to stop multi-family as there will be homes of this volume everywhere.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2024, 07:21 PM   #2268
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

That rear neighbor often has a bitchin' red C3 Corvette parked in their driveway. You can even see it in the overhead google map (but sadly not the street view).
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 12:54 AM   #2269
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Mayor of Calgary loves the developers. Leaving things wide open.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:24 AM   #2270
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Mayor of Calgary loves the developers. Leaving things wide open.
What?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:07 AM   #2271
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean any offense. Do you work at Dean Thomas or something?

But regarding the house in the link, I mean the ####ing chimney is on an angle for #### sakes. I think once you have that, no further comments are necessary and it's already game over.
I took no offense, and I do not work for Dean Thomas!

However, I do work in Residential Design in Calgary and love hearing people's critical feedback, not just "I don't like it", which is why I wanted you to expand on your comments a little more. I'm not saying I like the home either, don't get me wrong, it's no masterpiece!

One aspect of design, i'm sure you are aware of, is the client who pays the bills. I often see what we call 'client-led design' which leads to parts or entire designs that can be unappealing to most people, but it ticks all the boxes for the owner. I see a home like the one in question and wonder how much the client has had a hand is shaping the design, as well as how much ego could be in the design by the designer trying to be different or edgy. Designers are almost always trying to find some design element or feature they can make their calling card or help them stand out in the market.

Design taste is very subjective and I appreciate the opinions within the discussion.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:20 AM   #2272
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
I took no offense, and I do not work for Dean Thomas!

However, I do work in Residential Design in Calgary and love hearing people's critical feedback, not just "I don't like it", which is why I wanted you to expand on your comments a little more. I'm not saying I like the home either, don't get me wrong, it's no masterpiece!

One aspect of design, i'm sure you are aware of, is the client who pays the bills. I often see what we call 'client-led design' which leads to parts or entire designs that can be unappealing to most people, but it ticks all the boxes for the owner. I see a home like the one in question and wonder how much the client has had a hand is shaping the design, as well as how much ego could be in the design by the designer trying to be different or edgy. Designers are almost always trying to find some design element or feature they can make their calling card or help them stand out in the market.

Design taste is very subjective and I appreciate the opinions within the discussion.
Thanks for the response.

Having done it before and about to be in the midst of it again, I understand the design process. I think you nailed the part I object to in this case and that is the "calling card"... DT in particular seems to push those incongruent, random angles and protrusions - you can see it throughout their portfolio - presumably to add some 'flair' to the design. If I had to guess, I'd say most people don't know exactly what they're looking for, or have trouble articulating it. So I'd guess it's not always "client-led design', but rather, they see a portfolio and just go with a design theme, or otherwise don't have a well-developed aesthetic and are easily influenced to go with what they think is cool or popular, because that's what they see the firm doing... Hat's off to DT's marketing in that regard.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:36 AM   #2273
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Thanks for the response.

Having done it before and about to be in the midst of it again, I understand the design process. I think you nailed the part I object to in this case and that is the "calling card"... DT in particular seems to push those incongruent, random angles and protrusions - you can see it throughout their portfolio - presumably to add some 'flair' to the design. If I had to guess, I'd say most people don't know exactly what they're looking for, or have trouble articulating it. So I'd guess it's not always "client-led design', but rather, they see a portfolio and just go with a design theme, or otherwise don't have a well-developed aesthetic and are easily influenced to go with what they think is cool or popular, because that's what they see the firm doing... Hat's off to DT's marketing in that regard.
From what I hear around the industry, DT does not allow for much, if any, client input. It's purely ego driven design and you are correct, people flock to a designer because of their style most of the time, in that regard it is self-perpetuating.

Curious about your new project on the horizon and who you are using for your design? Feel free to take it to PM if you are willing to share, no worries if you want it kept private.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:39 AM   #2274
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. There's a viewing room with a glass wall and couches so you people can see one of your luxury cars, without having to walk the 20 feet to go into the garage?

That has to be the one of the dumber real estate concepts I have ever seen. When you're watching TV, in case you forget how awesome you are, you can be reminded by looking over at your Lambo?
Just put the car in your living room
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vint...rfly-penthouse
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:15 PM   #2275
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
what?

what?
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 10:33 AM   #2276
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Just put the car in your living room
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vint...rfly-penthouse
That is ridiculous. They've built the unit around it so there's no way to get it out. Perhaps not every owner in the future will want a significant portion of their living room taken up a by a car?
Old 06-15-2024, 03:25 PM   #2277
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is ridiculous. They've built the unit around it so there's no way to get it out. Perhaps not every owner in the future will want a significant portion of their living room taken up a by a car?
They're probably planning to be there til they're 6 feet under and don't care.
Whoever owns that penthouse and car have don't give a * money.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 04:48 PM   #2278
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll just go for a premium as "The Porsche Penthouse"
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote