Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2024, 10:17 AM   #7681
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I must be misunderstanding you. You aren't seriously saying this is Trudeau's fault? Right?
I'm saying that politicians all over the world are being silent about this because they don't want to upset their voter base.

Most of the morons marching in the street are likely to vote on the left side of the political spectrum, so make of that what you want.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 10:18 AM   #7682
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Agree. The Israeli government can be criticized for many things, but I don't think its fair to criticize it for emboldening or empowering anti-Semitic mouth-breathers. Seems like that's letting the mouth-breathers off too easy. It would be like responding to mosque vandalism by saying "well, its unfortunate that the actions of ISIS lead to people hating all Muslims" or something.
There’s obviously some nuance there, as this cuts both ways. Yes, it’s wrong to blame the Israeli government for anti-semitism, and it’s a convenient excuse for anti-semites and literal Nazis to legitimize their criticisms. But then, as Psyche pointed out, there is a concentrated effort to link criticism of the Israeli government and/or Zionism with anti-semitism/criticism of Jews in general on that side. Look no further than the poster who has repeatedly said “I think we know why” when questioning why people are critical of the Israeli government.

In my opinion, all of these types of comments are related:
- conflating the Israeli government with Jews in general
- conflating Hamas with Palestinians in general
- conflating sympathy/support for Israeli civilians with support for the Israeli government
- conflating sympathy/support for Palestinians civilians with support for Hamas

There is a lot of good, valid criticism in this thread and widely, including people critical of Hamas, terrorism, countries that fund terrorism, the Israeli government, the settler movement, zionism, etc. I think anyone can look at the videos of one side saying things like “death to Jews” or “long live October 7” and the other side saying “death to Arabs” or “I hope you get raped” and see these people as trash that are responsible for their own words. But I think people lose the plot when they let those individuals represent the entire “side” of the argument in their own minds.

I’m not sure how to eloquently say this, but I don’t think there’s a spiritual difference between anti-semitism (specifically that which conflates specific individuals and organizations with Jews in general) and the type of thinking that allows people to lump all pro-Palestinian protestors together as Hamas supporters (for example). The difference is the latter is more widely accepted.

Look at Azure’s most recent posts which went pretty much unchecked. If he was talking about Jews and the Israeli government and not the wide range of other people he vastly generalized and blamed for Hamas, we’d regard it as anti-semitic. What’s the name for the same level of hatred and prejudice, and when do we start calling it out the same way we call out anti-semitism?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2024, 12:42 PM   #7683
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, who is getting deported and why?
Those brown or black people who in his eyes can't possibly be Canadian. They couldn't possibly be equal to him.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2024, 04:12 PM   #7684
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'm saying that politicians all over the world are being silent about this because they don't want to upset their voter base.

Most of the morons marching in the street are likely to vote on the left side of the political spectrum, so make of that what you want.
Most of the people marching are amazing people. So many good people marching against the genocide Israel is committing right now including Jewish people.

Just because it hurts your feelings that Israel is rightfully being protested against doesn't make them morons.

You've been more hateful than 99.9% of the protestors ever have been. Check your backyard before you peek into someone else's yard.

Your deportation comment was disgusting and if the comment was made the other way around you would have claimed antisemitism.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:15 PM   #7685
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

"Terrorist scum" he says about people marching the streets but not about Israel killing tens of thousands of innocent civilians. If people are scum for marching against genocide then what are the people that are killing women and children by the tens of thousands? I don't think there is a word vile enough to explain israel's evilness.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:26 PM   #7686
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Even within Israel people criticize those that support the current government.

My problem is that there is a huge difference between you criticizing the actions, because I know you're not delusional, and other posts in this thread who I won't name criticizing Israel.

Some people just literally want Israel to be wiped out, and they disguise their true feelings but being intentionally obtuse about the situation.

That is why I feel we have terrorist scum marching in our streets and nobody does anything about it.

At the very least the deportation office should be working 24/7 these days.
Why won't you name the posts?

Because you can't that's why, because it's in your imagination.

You want the people who criticize Israel to be as hateful as you but I'm sure it hurts when we are not and just want peace. I'm sure it hurts when you look deep inside your heart and the stuff you make up in your head about what posters here feel is what you actually feel about Palestinians.

This is such a BS way to debate..."posts I won't name" "people who want to wipe out Israel"

Literally made up and nothing has been said in this thread that even resembles anything like that. Sneaky comment that won't go unchecked. QUOTE any post you think where someone wants to wipe out Israel.

Last edited by Zary's-Mustache; 06-12-2024 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 05:50 PM   #7687
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can't speak for politicians in other states (not familiar enough with them), but Trudeau has certainly condemned the recent rise in antisemitism on a number of occasions.
Old 06-12-2024, 06:00 PM   #7688
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I can't speak for politicians in other states (not familiar enough with them), but Trudeau has certainly condemned the recent rise in antisemitism on a number of occasions.
Trudeau, Biden, Sunak, Macron all have. I think it’s more common to find world leaders that have spoken out vs those that haven’t. I’m not sure what politicians “all over the world” Azure is talking about.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:19 PM   #7689
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Most of the people marching are amazing people. So many good people marching against the genocide Israel is committing right now including Jewish people.

Just because it hurts your feelings that Israel is rightfully being protested against doesn't make them morons.
You need to understand the likes of him and Naza's narrow brainwashed minds. They simply don't understand. In their world everyone should support their genocide. It's hard for them to process that people don't therefore they must be antisemitic.

Honestly. I spent some time in South Africa in 96/97 and he's just like the Afrikaans. Genuinely confused that other people don't share their hatred. Their superiority complex. Genuinely baffled that people see the blacks/Palestinians as humans.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1800327418986520887

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2024, 08:52 PM   #7690
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
You need to understand the likes of him and Naza's narrow brainwashed minds. They simply don't understand. In their world everyone should support their genocide. It's hard for them to process that people don't therefore they must be antisemitic.

Honestly. I spent some time in South Africa in 96/97 and he's just like the Afrikaans. Genuinely confused that other people don't share their hatred. Their superiority complex. Genuinely baffled that people see the blacks/Palestinians as humans.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1800327418986520887

Good grief. That was hard to watch, but the kicker is seeing the kid in the stroller at the very end.

I struggle not to feel badly for her, but the position she seems to be advocating for is at the heart of the problem: that one's ethnicity should bind one to a cause more than one's principles do.

As for the protesters around her - while I don't love how every one of them engaged with her - I think it is a great credit to Jewish people that so many stand up and come out for what they believe is right, even if it might superficially seem to put them at odds with their own. They could just as easily stay quiet and say that this - protesting against the mass killing of civilians - isn't their fight even if they disagree with what Israel is doing. But so many members of the Jewish community don't just sit on their hands: instead showing up in numbers and making themselves heard.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 07:31 AM   #7691
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good effort.

Quote:
On 28 May 2024, Gaza emergency services reported that four tank artillery shells struck a tent city in the Al-Mawasi humanitarian zone west of Rafah, hitting a group of tents and killing at least 21 people, at least 12 of whom were women, and injuring 64 people, including 10 in a critical condition.[1][2] The strike occurred in an area designated as an expanded humanitarian zone by Israel in the wake of the Rafah offensive which has led to the mass displacement of Palestinian civilians to tent cities outside of the city.[

Quote:
The secretary general of Doctors Without Borders Chris Lockyear said in a statement: "Civilians are being massacred. They are being pushed into areas they were told would be safe only to be subjected to relentless airstrikes and heavy fighting."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Maw...ee_camp_attack

How do you ever expect Palestinians to trust Israel when they behave like terrorists?

Last edited by Fuzz; 06-13-2024 at 07:34 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 07:40 AM   #7692
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One hour later, my son arrived home. The sight of fear and terror on his face… I have never seen this on a human being. He was barely able to speak. He said, ‘Dad, people have been blown into pieces! Children, women… why is it like this, Dad?’

I hugged him and cried and cried. For the first time, I felt weak.

After that, I went to Al-Awda clinic, in Deir al Balah, which is only a few metres away from my home. I saw dozens and dozens of people lying on the ground. Some of them were dead, others injured. One ambulance arrived carrying three people who had been killed and four others who were wounded. My eyes were full of tears.

One of my colleagues called me. His brother had been hit by shrapnel in the back. He told me he was throwing up blood. He kept asking what he should do. But what could I do? There was no ambulance available. I told him to tie a piece of cloth around the wound to pressure the injury, and to pray for him that he stays alive.

Dozens of people were killed. We did not have time to bury them.
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.ca...-to-bury-them/

Just monstrous. A reminder, Israel does not NEED to kill innocent people. They CHOOSE to do this. Use your voice to speak out against it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2024, 07:45 AM   #7693
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them. And not just the men, but the women and the children, too. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals. I HATE THEM.
For some reason this quote from a movie just keeps coming to mind - and how it ultimately affected the person saying it.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 06-14-2024, 05:40 PM   #7694
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8Kw6...hud3RrNzNzZTl1

Amazing brave jewish man Corey Balsam speaking out against Israel and its war crimes.

This is a must watch.