View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #2273
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I think the COVID pandemic has pretty conclusively proven that we as a society can't be trusted to behave in a responsible manner that protects our collective interests and survival. There's going to need to be a major re-ordering of social and economic priorities/ideologies if we're to actually have any hope of getting out of this crisis.
Really? I think people have behaved a lot better than I would have expected. Back in the spring of 2020 when countries were imposing strict social distancing measures, analysts and pundits said we had to get that lockdown right, because the public in Western democracies would not tolerate a second round of restrictions. Well, we’ve had three now, and may well have a fourth. Where’s the looting, the mobs? At no point have I felt unsafe walking the streets or that civil society would break down.

Anyone who regards the last 18 months as humans failing to uphold civilization lacks imagination or hasn’t read much history.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-13-2021 at 07:48 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: