View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Structurally Canadas system is more resistant to extremism than the US and so you see it less. So I reject the argument that moderates being moderate and listening increases polarization. Political structures that incentivize polarization are the leading factor
You're looking at this strictly in terms of formal politics. But this phenomenon is found in more than political structures, you see it everywhere in social discourse. Many of the issues people debate today, from immigration to education to freedom of speech to transgender rights to terrorism, are not confined to formal politics. An American, a Canadian, a New Zealander and a German can all debate these issues with one another, and you will see the same polarization driven by extremists.

Most of the forums where I talk about social and political issues are international, and this is exactly what I see: A contentious but wide-ranging debate breaks out; it comes to be dominated by the most extreme positions; the moderates either back out or support the extremists on what they see to be their side; the conflict continues until the weaker party is driven from the thread/forum and sets up shop in a more agreeable and homogeneous home. And once those echo-chambers are established, it's the most ardent and pure partisans who dominate discussion and the moderates either fall in line or bugger off.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote