View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #25
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It’s definitely been scaled down. I imagine sponsorships are harder to come by because of the economy. And live venues are closing like crazy. Zak used to subsidize it when he was running it at the start and they struggled to replace that funding.

I do think the acts aren’t as big as well. I remember 2008 and they had Drive-By Truckers, Of Montreal, Yo La Tengo, Wire, Tegan And Sara, Broken Social Scene, Mogwai, and Jonathan Richman just at Millenium Park.

There aren’t as many comedians either, and they used to have more headliners. Those shows always had lineups so it isn’t lack of interest.

I don’t think any of this is the festival’s fault. It’s just the reality of life in Calgary post oil boom. I’m still going to have trouble seeing every band I want to see so I won’t complain too much about the quality of music.
I dream of a lineup like 2010.

Black Lips, The Bronx, Built To Spill, Chain & the Gang, Chuck Ragan, Deerhoof, Dinosaur Jr., The Dudes, ####ed Up, Girl Talk, GZA,* Hot Water Music, The King Khan & BBQ Show, Les Savy Fav, Mariachi El Bronx, Mark Sultan, Melvins, No Age,* NoMeansNo, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, The Thermals, Ty Segall,** Tyvek, White Lung,* Women.

Just reading the lineup again now, I'm shocked at how many absolutely amazing bands played.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post: