Thread: Golf!!!2!
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #2006
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So I'm going to go ahead and get back into golfing this summer. Need a bit of advice on that front.

My dad has always had a membership, and so when I was growing up he had me and my brother in the junior program, but I never really took to it. Learned how to swing a club, which is a good thing to learn as a kid, but I wasn't any good, and got frustrated with the expectations - it felt more like a chore than anything. So I stopped entirely when I was probably 16. Since then, I've played a handful of rounds, and the past few years I'm basically just playing in 1-2 best ball tournaments each summer that are more about getting obnoxiously drunk than they are about golf.

I have clubs, and I've been to the range a few times this spring to just see if I could consistently make contact with a golf ball. I can, but I've got a pretty nasty hook going and no consistency in terms of accuracy over about 120 yards. Basically, I still swing the club quite hard and generally hit the thing a mile, but who knows in what direction. I think I should probably get lessons? The only real goal is to get my game to a point where it's not embarrassing and I can get through a round without spraying shots left and right and losing a bunch of balls.

Tips?
I think almost everyone would tell you to get lessons.

But, I'm not going to... haha. I would just get out to the range as much as you can. Watch some youtube videos right before you go to the range, and try to work on only one thing at a time. I recommend Mark Crossfield videos highly - but stick to the ones for beginners.

Swing easy. Golf swings are made better by rote and almost nothing else. You'll pick up on the feelings from good swings versus bad swings, and the more you swing, the better you will get.

It's supposed to be fun, and it's really hard: don't worry about the results too much and just whack a lot of balls. My .02.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post: