View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #32
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I'll be the one. You are ignorant.

The addition of children into the equation doesn't magically make a cognitive behaviour dysfunction go away. You acknowledge that he needs help but you want to assign blame and demonize him. People like you are one of the reasons why those with mental health and addiction issues don't get help. The public judgement of them by those who like to talk of stupid/selfish choices is why people keep this kind of stuff hidden. Your desire to assign blame is an obstacle to your understanding.
You're guilty of simplifying too. People have free will. They make choices. Addiction isn't a binary condition, and it doesn't magically take away all responsibility for your actions. Here are some people I know:

A) Very social guy who likes to go out and drink. Marriage fell apart and he met a younger woman who is even more social and goes out almost every night. In the divorce settlement, he chose to have his kids only every second weekend so they wouldn't mess with his active social life.

B) Guy with wife and kid who drinks a lot, often alone in his garage. Also drives drunk.

C) Guy who has been heavy pot smoker and drinker since high school. Works as little as possible. Owes every landlord he's had money and now lives in a camper.

Do you think all of those guys are blameless? Hostages to some cognitive behavior dysfunction that they never had any chance to overcome? Is my choice to judge in some of these cases an obstacle to my understanding?

Personally, I don't see any contradiction in saying people need help, but they should also accept responsibility for their behavior.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: