View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Railway Crossing Traffic Ticket

I looked for a "General Traffic Ticket Thread" but couldn't find one, so if this needs to be moved, that's cool.
A few Sundays ago I was out in the morning near the CPR main yard in the SE industrial area; I was turning from Ogden Road onto 69th st SE, approaching the railway crossing when the crossing warning activated.
I had already turned the corner and was approaching the crossing at ~20-25 km/hr, so I continued through the crossing within ~2 seconds after the lights activated, but cleared the crossing before the arms even started to lower.

A CPR cop pulled me over a block after and gave me a $310 ticket for 42(2)(0) of the Use of Highway & Rules of the Road Reg.
The train literally just started to pass after the cop had already pulled me over, talked with me, grabbed my insurance and registration, and had gone back to his vehicle to actually write the ticket.

He basically told me that crossing have to be treated like a traffic light.
I have several questions:

- Traffic lights have a yellow warning light so that if the light changes while I'm within a certain distance of the intersection, I don't have to slam on my breaks to clear the intersection before it's unsafe; is the time between the rail crossing lights activating and the arms lowering treated in a similar manner?

- I can't find a this particular situation in Alberta Transportation's demerit list; the closest is "Failing to stop at a railway crossing (School bus or a vehicle carrying explosives, gas or flammable liquids). I was driving a regular car, so this can't apply to me. Otherwise it could be "Failing to obey instruction of traffic control device" (?)

I'm planning on fighting the ticket; I've seen the same situation a hundred times at C-train crossing without ever seeing a ticket given out. I'm just trying to get some information to bring with me.

Last edited by Mass_nerder; 08-14-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote