View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #4601
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Sure, and very few of the laggards would have followed through. I guess it would be nice for the rest of us to have a cupboard full of replacement bulbs, but that wasn't really the point...

Consider the elderly...they were probably the largest demographic still using old-school inefficient practices. Maybe the general existence of the program would have been enough of a nudge to get adult children to help retrofit their parents' places, but I'm certainly glad they saved me the trouble.

Again, I'm not saying the program was a homerun, but mailing out coupons is too simplistic and misses the mark.
The final report on that program had it return 5x the cost in lifetime value of energy savings to participants when looking solely at households. The program was successful in doing what it set out to do. It had its share of issues and anecdotal disappointments - but the upfront value of $132M turning into $600M in lifetime savings has to be considered a win.

Energy Efficiency Alberta was a successful program that overall returned $3 for every $1 invested. That makes good economic sense, but was an easy target for partisans.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post: