View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #823
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I can’t disagree. It’s a results league. Lots of GMs and coaches have been fired for just not getting results. I would add that Neal’s issues were completely knowable, with some diligence. And it was also a misread of what skills would be useful in the way the NHL was going - moving to a speed game.
Keep in mind that before Neal was signed the Flames had a deal in place with Ryan Reaves. His bags were packed, but Vegas matched at the last minute. That’s when the Flames made the offer to Neal. Hard to imagine an offer being made to Neal if the Reaves signing goes through (I’m pretty sure the Flames wouldn’t have had the cap space).

I know this is a results-driven business. But Treliving has been a very active GM, and as you outline, the victim of a lot of bad luck, timing, and the fact Calgary is not a very attractive destination for a lot of players (something which will continue to be a factor for Treliving’s successor). He should have broken up the core, but this was a terrible offseason to make trades, with only two hockey trades of consequence in a 31 team league. This season is also terrible timing to make a big deal of the kind this team needs.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-03-2021 at 01:35 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: