View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #3724
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
So HBO is running the entire series now in advance of the new season and the first two episodes of Season 1 aired last night (and of course I watched again..).

Got me thinking. GOT premiered 8 years ago in April, 2011 well before the MeToo movement began. Would several GOT scenes get written and filmed if the series started today? Even in the first episode there was a brutal sexual assault of a lead character.

I wonder if movies and television, even cable, have been irreversibly changed in the current age of MeToo.
Those scenes were controversial in 2011 on the geek sites where GoT was talked about before it broke big. Lots of people complained and debated about the marriage scene with Daenerys in particular.

By 2014 there were articles like this calling out the exploitative use of rape in the show compared with the source material.

The show runners just carried on. And the rape scenes have continued right through the series in the face of ongoing criticism. GoT is just too popular (especially among young women) for this sort of criticism to get much traction. So I don't think anything changes if it premiered today.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: