View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #1347
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Considerably cheaper as no additional hardware like buttons, knobs, switches or their associated wiring harnesses or circuit boards are required. Overhead is reduced considerably as all these features are handled by the display software. It's the current trend for sure and I don't have anything against the LCD screens for the most part as I like configurable cockpits. I just find the more I have to use touch screens in motion, the worse of a driver I become. I would hate to have a close call with a pedestrian because I was fumbling trying to change interior temperature with a software slider.
Driving a car with a touch screen is my nightmare. Already glued to some digital screen in every aspect of life otherwise. The car is the sanctuary, the reminder that existence is tangible, and life is lived in real dimension. The day I pay to put my phone down, walk away from my work computer, ignore the tv and head out to share a beautiful drive with another goddamn screen is the day I’ll probably kill myself.

It’ll also be really fun to see how quickly hardware and software support these these kinds of thing.