View Single Post
Old 08-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #1055
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I certainly wouldn't encourage the destruction of property and the burning of churches, but I understand why they might be targeted. I mean, if the actual schools were destroyed, would anyone shed a tear?
The actual school was demolished years ago. And no tears were shed. The article I quoted makes that clear.

But the church was the centre of the community and a connection to their loved ones for many residents.

Quote:
“When I enter that building, I feel at peace. It’s soothing to be there. All my troubles are gone when I walk in that door,” says Whiteknife, a lifelong member of the Parish of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, and the organizer of an ongoing fundraising campaign to restore the 109-year-old church.

“It’s a place of love, a place of welcome, a place of sanctuary and a place of warmth,” she says. “There’s a strong sense of belonging, of community. When I’m in that building, I feel the love of generations of my family members who have completed their journey here on Earth.”

… The church remains an important landmark and a community gathering place to this day, still playing host to weekly services, marriages, baptisms, communions, and funerals. However, the century-old wooden building is in need of repairs to its foundation as well as its superstructure, which must be made carefully with deference to the church’s historic resource designation.

https://www.enbridge.com/stories/201...alberta-church

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-26-2022 at 01:33 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote