View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #1069
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, so I've watched the full debate. Thoughts:

* Relatively little of it really deals with political correctness. It was mostly about identity politics. Which I gather from a comment made by Goldberg may have been the original topic of the debate at an earlier date, but it got changed up.

* Peterson said his usual stuff about the perils of radical leftist ideology. Got overheated and prickly at times. He doesn't really seem to appreciate the spirit of these things. Came across as kind of a ######.

* Fry was fantastic. He eloquently and passionately expressed the liberal case for free speech and rejection of orthodoxy. He's also the only one who seemed interested in genuinely addressing political correctness, rather than identity politics. If you don't want to spend 2 hours watching the entirety, just watch Fry's opening and closing statements (28:20 and 1:38:30). He hit it out of the park.

* Goldberg has some good insights as a journalist on the front lines of this stuff. Drew a distinction between being silenced and feeling silenced, which was a good point. Also went out of her way several times to denounce justice by social media mob. Wasn't the most eloquent speaker - unsurprising, as she's a writer - but after Fry, was the only other one to genuinely address political correctness.

* Dyson mostly stuck to identity politics and the black experience in America. He has some good one-liners, but I got the feeling a lot of them were well-practiced. Frankly, he would have been better suited to a different debate.

* Overall, it was a decent debate. I think the organizers could have chosen some better participants to focus it on political correctness. I would have liked to have seen a CBC producer or personality like Carol Off on the pro side, or someone else who polices content and tone in the media.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-19-2018 at 03:03 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: