View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #75
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Basically, don't expect too much from sports fans in this city unless it's a REALLY special moment/time. We've got 0 and 10 on our sports fandom, white collar to a tee. Most Calgarian's relationship with sports/music/entertainment is "I pay my hard earned money to go and relax while being entertained, it's not up to me to be part of an atmosphere."
Yeah, it's not just a Flames or a sports thing. Calgary entertainment audiences are just really passive. In Hard Core Logo, the Calgary audience is described by the band as bovine and placid. I can't count the number of times when a band has invited a Calgary audience to get up off off their feet and dance of show some emotion, and when a smattering of people get up they're shushed and told to sit down by the people behind them.

People in this city treat live entertainment events like they're watching them on TV in the comfort of their home. And yes, it probably has something to do with being an affluent and white-collar town, and the reserve and self-consciousness that goes with it. For all the "wild west" cliches, this is in reality a very nerdy city.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: