View Single Post
Old 06-01-2023, 10:37 AM   #1824
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlan View Post
So hyperbole then…good to know. You meant all that in your “eat your money…it’s just greed” post? Not once have the “sameself billionaires” refused, in fact they have never been asked. The city has yet to tell them they had to do it themselves. Faced with the possibility that a partnership may not be a reality they indicated they are unwilling. Partnership is the key here with both side seeing there is benefits. The idea that this was some hostile takeover of the city budget is a false premise. There are benefits to others including me, I flew from Calgary to Vancouver for a concert last weekend. Stayed, eat, drank, golfed (pitch and put Stanley Park-what and awesome deal!), road public transit- Seatrain, paid for entrance to Capilano Suspension Bridge Park. All-in-all we spent a couple of thousand dollars per couple that we could have spent in Calgary if it offered the same level of entertainment as Vancouver. And we were not the only ones. It’s a disgrace that Edmonton and Vancouver can host these concerts and Calgary misses out on the tourist revenue.Calgary need to be a destination and the Event Center is one of the solutions. But blah blah blah billionaires, its a fricken broken record, just self righteous blinders. This is the hill you are going to die on? There are bigger taxpayer funded issues out there.
Yes, and if Calgary had the same weather as Vancouver, it would be great, too. Can your billionaire pals please arrange that?

The point is not that they "refused" to build it themselves...they never frickin' bothered to advance the possibility. Why? Because they don't want to spend their own money. And then walked away from a paltry few additional tens of millions of cost when they had the chance. That's your Calgary ownership billionaires in spades, hmm?