View Single Post
Old 11-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #19
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

That hits home. I drive my daughter down that stretch of Macleod for sports regularly. I had to detour around the accident last night when I picked her up. Wondered what the deal was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I really wish there were harsher minimum penalties for driving causing death - it's really a joke how low the minimum standards are.

1) First offence - $1,000 fine
2) Second offence - Jail for 30 days
3) Third offence - Jail for 120 days

For the average person, driving a vehicle is the most dangerous weapon they will ever own/operate, but there just don't seem to be sufficient consequences for causing major harm to others so long as you are driving.
Agreed that driving a vehicle is the most dangerous thing most of us ever do. But harsher penalties after the fact won’t deter people from driving dangerously. It’s not as though people driving 30k/hr over the limit are considering that they might kill someone, and weighing up the penalty against their impatience. How many drivers even know what the penalty is?

If we want to reduce fatal collisions, we need to enforce speed limits more rigorously. Sorry dudes (and it’s always dudes), but you don’t really need to be driving 110 or 120 down Macleod. Ever. Put camera boxes on every major road. Hit the recklessly heavy-footed with fine after fine. Take away their vehicles if they don’t change their behaviour. Their lack of self-control shouldn’t be a threat to us and our loved ones.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: