View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #2332
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Question to the auto-mechanically proficient:

My SUV has 275/50/22 tires installed. I'd like to go to wider tires sized 305/45/22, which are equivalent to mine in diameter, so no issues with the computer, rpm's, mileage etc. 305's are 30mm wider than my 275's. I'd like this extra width on the outer side. How do I pick the right rims to ensure that the width doesn't go on the inside instead and rub against the underside and during turning?
Geez, taking your SUV to the track?

You have to factor in the wheel's offset.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

"Wheel offset is the distance in millimeters from the center line of the wheel to the mounting surface. If the mounting surface is closer to the face of the wheel it is known to have a positive offset and if the mounting point is closer to the inside of the wheel it has a negative offset. Center or no offset is when the mounting point is directly on the centerline of the wheel."

For example, a +40mm offset means the mounting surface of the wheel is 40mm from the centerline towards the street side of the wheel. If your original wheel has an offset of zero, for example, then a wheel with +40 offset will mount further in towards the chassis, in from the fender. In your desired application you will want an offset less than what the OEM wheel is so that the wheel is pushed out street side. Too much negative offset, though, will put strain on your driveline and you have to bear in mind the car manufacturer will spec the driveline components off of the OEM wheel offset. Too much negative offset may also result in tire rub against the fenders when turning at lock-to-lock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post: